• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
But they wont....why would they kill requirements that earn them money for less revenue for an optional service? They are the ones who pioneered mandatory online and made it so that everyone else could do it after all.

OP
OP
HadesHotgun

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
Usually when you say things like:

Generally means selling more.

Sure, but I directly address the significance of monthly average users and why that's what matters going forward. That doesn't actually change the significance of regional success so winning will be about engagement more than units sold, but MS will still likely find the greatest impact in NA and the UK, and it will still come at the expense of Sony.

violent

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate your optimism OP, but I don't think gamers care as much about the paywall anymore.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's whether they think Gold is a hinderance to more expensive Game pass subs in much greater numbers.

There is probably a point they'll combine Gold into Gamepass and see what the numbers are like then go from there or they may even know before then that dropping gold for game pass is the right idea to maximise user growth and better subscription profits with just a higher priced game pass.

I know people say they won't give up a sub but there might be a cross over at some point that means have 100 million + user base and 70 million game pass subscribers is better than 100 million + 10 million game pass and 40 million gold subs.

They'll know and it probably has to happen to reach greater heights. Of course they could easily just still make Xbox console users pay and nobody else, windows, mobile don't pay etc.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, Sony would just laugh and keep making billions form PS+ most likely.

In the short term yes, but if it really does cause a big enough change in consumers buying habits or a shift away from Playstation they'll relent.

I think MS would likely reverse the decision to drop the paywall from Gold fairly quickly if they attempted it though.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
They should at least bundle gold and gamepass. Maybe 6 months of gamepass and a year of gold for $99. Only losing $20 and you can set them up to auto renew together. Like the auto renewal of Gamepass in 6 months subsidizes some money off a gold auto renewal the next year.

Gold isn't going anywhere but they've definitely got some room to make it all more appealing.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Do you need PS+ to play multiplayer games on ps now (streaming)?
It's not available in my country until a few weeks from now.
I guess you would with downloading ps now games.

In any case, online paywalls are stupid as hell even if it doesn't really affect me.
It's even more stupid if it's not included in ps now / game pass.

They can still keep PS+ just for the games / rebates though, that's why I'm subscribed to it.

Well it does actually affect me when I think about it, I pay the nintendo fee so my daughter can play minecraft with her friends on the switch. Got a family sub for it which I wouldn't pay just for the NES games.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Doing a price comparison, I never stopped to think that PS Now might be more expensive than Gamepass because it does not require the user to have PS + to play online.

Do you need PS+ to play multiplayer games on ps now (streaming)?

No, the PS Now subscription alone already allows you to play online, but I'm not sure if it only allows the games that are available in the service or if it also works with the other games that you have on your account/in disc.

Last edited:

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
MS will "win" or have a better shot at winning if they don't sell their console (which was weaker spec wise) for more than the competition, and have more exclusives.

They need to sell a ton more in Europe too. I don't think any of the things you're suggesting will cause a mass exodus from Sony to MS.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
In the short term yes, but if it really does cause a big enough change in consumers buying habits or a shift away from Playstation they'll relent.

I think MS would likely reverse the decision to drop the paywall from Gold fairly quickly if they attempted it though.
Possible I guess, but if PS3 and PC didn't change others, I doubt Xbox will either. Especially with Nintendo doing it too now. I think the online paywalls would only die if consoles do at this point.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
1. I don't think most people care about the online fees that much. They'd rather not pay them, but it's not the issue broke ass people in forums make it out to be.

2. Even if I'm wrong about one, it's not going to change the fact that most counties outside North America and a couple spots in Europe are hugely PlayStation dominated and saw even the 360 not do great. They have a huge challenge in upping worldwide appeal

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I feel like I do specifically state that I am talking about making up for lost revenue from XBL Gold by drastically expanding the user base for Gamepass with the former being a purchase people make out of requirement and the latter being one made by a hungry market. I don't think I state anywhere that the whole point is just to sell more consoles than X company.

Gamepass will never make up for the lost revenue, even with a bigger userbase. Actually once Gamepass hits a critical mass it will start canabilizing day one purchases of their first party games. They just can't recoup both, the lost revenue of day one purchases and the lost revenue of gold suscribers with Gamepass. That's just not feasible.

OP
OP
HadesHotgun

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
I would be really bummed out if they did that. Games with Gold has been one of the best investments I've made in the past few years. Aside from PS+ paltry offerrings, I still look forward to GWGs monthly lineup. If I don't have a game tied to my account, what's to stop Microsoft from taking it away when the game's distribution or licensing agreement expires? I only say this because I'm dealing with the fallout now on my PS3. It's not that I can't play my PS+ games anymore (I let my subscription lapse), some of the games tied to my account don't even exist anymore. Primarily promotional add-ons, but some of them were full games.

That's a really good point that I hadn't considered and I don't have a good answer for it. But I think that ultimately the long term fate of legacy games tied to subscriptions is really precarious for MS and Sony alike and that will have to be addressed by both at some point. I'm not sure how they will manage it if there are any substantial changes to those services in the future, which I imagine is inevitable.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I appreciate that you wrote all that OP, but to "keep it real", if you give me gamepass for free on the PC right now I will probably spend a few hours on Forza and forget about it. Now try selling me a box costing $500 to use gamepass.

I'm drawn in by games, not free online.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why would they give up of billions in revenue per year?

It is literally free money for them

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This is akin to saying "Sony should drop PS Plus and just roll it into PSNow" (following the most recent changes made to that service).

And no, I'm not into the whole 'system warriors' thing. This is an honest reply to your suggestion/comments.
No they won't, Sony will then counter by removing the cost of PS+

It's business.

Could it be successful for Microsoft? Sure, but overall it won't be a big deal at all.

This is the part of the thread where I come in and remind ppl PSNow doesn't need P...
No, the PS Now subscription alone already allows you to play online, but I'm not sure if it only allows the games that are available in the service or if it also works with the other games that you have on your account/in disc.

Ah, beaten, lol.

Yeah OP, Sony already thought about your premise. Don't know of it'll help Sony win next gen. But I wish they would advertise the good things they do with their services more.

Here's hoping Sony keeps PSNow and F2P games not needing Plus.

Will MS do the same? Balls in their court. Since they still require Gold for F2P games, I doubt it.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
I cannot imagine Microsoft giving up all of that revenue they get from Gold. That said, if MS were to drop the Gold requirement the internet drama would be glorious.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Oh darling. You are so wrong in this. Imagine this,

A. 50 people buy your product with subscription

B. 500 people buying your another product with no subscription

Question: which one is giving you more revenue? In case A you get less customers but they are monthly members who pay every month, while in B you have many customers but it is just one hit buy and go only

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Sony already "won" next gen with digital lock-in and inevitable backward compatibility. people are not going to move away from their ecosystem any time soon.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Rolling everything in to gamepass would be a big gamble. And if it doesn't pay off they be in a bad situation. They don't need to win, the market has changed so much that you can be dead last in sales, and still be successful.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
No way they would cut off that much revenue to their networking teams just so they can ask people to only pay for game pass. They can't get all the revenue out of one subscription at variable (low) prices monthly.

Even if they did remove gold from the multiplayer requirement they would not win next gen. In fact, it would be more difficult.

Deleted member 34239

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 24, 2017
I honestly don't know what is up with this sentiment of wanting a corporation to win. It's like some here take pleasure or pride in the accomplishment of corporate entities, whose market performance yields no net benefit to their everyday existence. Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft "winning" next generation should in no way, shape or form affect your decision as to which platform you choose to play on. We play games for entertainment and we do not play hardware specs or userbase size. Frankly, the core idea/sentiment of this thread is rooted in nothing more than unabashed fanboyism.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Why would MS give up that revenue? I would love free online again, but it ain't happening.

I honestly don't know what is up with this sentiment of wanting a corporation to win. It's like some here take pleasure or pride in the accomplishment of corporate entities, whose market performance yields no net benefit to their everyday existence. Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft "winning" next generation should in no way, shape or form affect your decision as to which platform you choose to play on. We play games for entertainment and we do not play hardware specs or userbase size. Frankly, the core idea/sentiment of this thread is rooted in nothing more than unabashed fanboyism.

Hear hear.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
As an Android user from 2009, I agree.

Those were some rough times, lol

Dec 14, 2017
I think they're going to win the US next gen either way.

GamePass is such a delicious idea and their dedication to BC and crossplay means a lot.

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
Yes, I also think Xbox will be more profitable if it drops the Xbox Live Gold requirement for multiplayer. Not because Xbox consoles will win the boring console war, but because Xbox could potentially earn more from the cut of the ever evolving "live service" game genre(or Game as a Service, GAAS).

If you haven't notice, most lucrative GAAS has important online componet. Money printing machines like NBA 2k, FIFA, Overwatch, GTAV all rely on their online component to make additional money. And Microsoft gets 30% cut for each additional purchase. As GAAS continue to grow, the revenue from micro-transaction might(or have) suprass the revenue from Xbox Live Gold. The only thing prevents the further growth will indeed be Xbox Live Gold. So I will argue that there's a very strong business incentive for Xbox to drop Xbox Live Gold.

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
This threads are always made on fanboy wishes from both sides.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah. YES. It should be an easy win for MS after the missteps Sony has had in the last couple of months.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's more likely they merge the two services and raise the monthly price by a dollar or two.

I think I would also prefer that approach. It'd be great for games if everyone on Xbox had game pass - Like Netflix shows get huge because everyone has it, it'd be cool to see the same effect for game pass titles, especially ones that might otherwise be overlooked or launch in a crowded window.

May 21, 2018
There is really no evidence that removing the paid online requirement would materially change userbase adoption.

You're precisely correct in my opinion.

It'd be nice if they could at least remove the gold requirement to play "Free-To-Play" games. Hell, that's something even Nintendo has gotten right with Warframe and Fortnite!

Now this is something I could envision happening someday.

This is the part of the thread where I come in and remind ppl PSNow doesn't need P...

Ah, beaten, lol.

Yeah OP, Sony already thought about your premise. Don't know of it'll help Sony win next gen. But I wish they would advertise the good things they do with their services more.

Here's hoping Sony keeps PSNow and F2P games not needing Plus.

Will MS do the same? Balls in their court. Since they still require Gold for F2P games, I doubt it.

Even with PSNow allowing full access to online play without a PSPlus subcription, what is being discussed is the prospect of Microsoft "throwing away" or dissolving one of their two service-based gaming revenue streams -- which Sony still currently has. PS+ is raking in quite a bit revenue for Sony, according to reports.

We'll see what happens. Crazier things have transpired within the gaming industry. Anything's possible.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
It's a weird position they are in where they went out of their way to release all their games on pc, but still charge only console users to play online. Obviously there's no way to charge pc games for online or they would have done it, so logically they should do away with all online charges, make it equal on both.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
But why give up all that revenue when they can do what they did this gen (minus the mistakes), sell 50 million XBX2s (at near break even price) while still making money off Live?
Live is not an issue, its just PS and Nintendo make better games than MS, thats the real issue imo.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In US of course, not sure about rotw even if we play with your hypothetical OP, brand is basically negligible here in SE Asia for example

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
You're precisely correct in my opinion.

Now this is something I could envision happening someday.

Even with PSNow allowing full access to online play without a PSPlus subcription, what is being discussed is the prospect of Microsoft "throwing away" or dissolving one of their two service-based gaming revenue streams -- which Sony still currently has. PS+ is raking in quite a bit revenue for Sony, according to reports.

We'll see what happens. Crazier things have transpired within the gaming industry. Anything's possible.
That's true, but by Sony not requiring Plus for PSNow, they are giving ppl the option to not use Plus at all and go all in on PSNow.

As PSNow library grows and come to more countries, it becomes more interesting to see if ppl start making that choice.

But Plus is more than online MP. I know I also use it for the free games and discounts. Same as Gold. Since a rarely play online, the online part is an after thought for me. I'm the minority, I know...lol

Interesting times ahead for sure tho.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I agree, but I have also said I think Sony should do the same.

But what rwallly made me stop here was this:

Can I play multiplayer games within the Xbox Game Pass catalog?

Members will need an Xbox Live Gold subscription to access multiplayer features and functionality in Xbox Game Pass games (Gold membership sold separately).

Is that true? That's terrible.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
they do read very much like sports threads. its amusing.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bold strategy but it is easily countered. It's kinda like mutually-assured destruction, neither Sony or MS will drop the requirement because then the other one will and they'll be right back where they were and both lose the huge revenue stream.

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
I think it could work. Free game every month plus access to all netflix library sounds great to me.

The good thing is it should force playstation and nintendo to drop their too.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I think rolling Game Pass into Gold would be the good will gesture you do and still make shitloads of money. Forget having a few free games a month and instead a whole Netflix for games like library as an added incentive for Gold.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, they way to 'win' next gen is probably to use stuff like this to hugely subsidise the console launch price and undercut Sony that way.

I'd expect them to put up the price if anything, hasn't it only gone up once in over 15 years?

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I said this awhile ago. Drop the Gold, offer free multiplayer, and focus on Game Pas on PC and Xbox but raise the price to $12.99 per month or $99 per year.