• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I chose PS3 over 360 due to free online. Although this was back in 2009 post-price drop. While the PS3 was still about €100 more expensive, saving two years of online fees made up that extra cost. And I got to play Uncharted 2 which looked really good at the time.

I would say that the PS3 would have crashed and burned even harder if it had paid online. Having no online fees was a big selling point for it, and ended up beating the 360 everywhere but US & UK.

Now that everyone does paid online, it doesn't matter what I pick. So I will go with what I've been using by default. If Nvidia hadn't started price gouging with their new cards I would have switched fully to PC already, but now I have to wait some more. My plan is to go away from consoles entirely and use an Nvidia Shield TV to put my PC games into a comfy couch setting.
I also chose a PS3, favored it over 360 for the same reason, free online.

By the end of the gen, it didn't matter. I started liking the 360 more, and wound splitting my time playing on both.

What changed over that time? I liked the 360 controller more, and games for both PS3 and 360. Where friends, co workers went.

Exclusives, 3rd party exclusives for both consoles.

That's what mattered in the end for me.

The posts about MAU vs consoles sales...why not both? Why not both....

Having more ppl in your ecosystem is not to be dismissed. If consoles sales can do that, I'm pretty sure it's still a valid metric.

I've already said...why did you think Sony got on the streaming and remote play train so fast. They are aware console sales isn't the end, the whole story.

Oct 27, 2017
I would never say that worldwide Xbox brand is on the same level of PlayStation ..that would be crazy...but as the same time is tiring to read always the same old song about us/Uk and no one care about Xbox when is ... basically a bullshit
I bought a Xbox 360 in early 2006 last gen, just because PS3 was still 1,5 years (Europe) away at that point and I was thirsty for next gen.
Sony will never ever give Xbox that much headstart in their key territories again. Of course, everything is subjective, but it is no hyperbole that Xbox is far less present in the awareness of the general public in Europe than you might think. Playstation and Nintendo are synonymous for gaming even for non-gamers in Europe. No one even uses the term "xobx" here. Sure it has a healthy fanbase, but it's neither dead nor is it truely alive.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Gold is never ending and it never should. what I believe Microsoft will do is add value to it. I think Xbox Streaming will be tied to you having gold. If you own gold your entire digital library will follow you on all of your devices.

Nov 12, 2017
I bought a Xbox 360 in early 2006 last gen, just because PS3 was still 1,5 years (Europe) away at that point and I was thirsty for next gen.
Sony will never ever give Xbox that much headstart in their key territories again. Of course, everything is subjective, but it is no hyperbole that Xbox is far less present in the awareness of the general public in Europe than you might think. Playstation and Nintendo are synonymous for gaming even for non-gamers in Europe. No one even uses the term "xobx" here. Sure it has a healthy fanbase, but it's neither dead nor is it truely alive.

I repeat, I never questioned or said that the brand Playstation is not stronger globally than the Xbox.
Sony won in Europe and in the PAL territories the last gen against xbox 360 did it this time with the PS4 and will presumably win also in the next generation in those territories. But from here to say and regurgitate the usual story ... that sees the xbox without escape... and microsoft panicked when only seven years ago we had pratically a total different story.

i get pissed off at that user and stopped to answer him because lack of sincerity..and with all this able to point the finger by blaming others as fanboy

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Game pass has no future unless they start pumping out incredible first party exclusives. Once they do that they may have a chance... in the US and maybe some countries in Europe. You can forget about Japan completely.

eh. I'm an idiot with a huge backlog I'll never complete. If I was smarter I'd just use gamepass and never buy anything except very view 'tentpole (to me)' titles. There are already games on there (and on ps now) that I've bought but never/barely played.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I see and hear your reasoning TC, but despite your attempt to head off the argument, it HAS to be made. They just aren't going to give up their biggest source of free money that they make in this console business.

Nobody likes it, but for the most part we are all trained to buy that membership on whatever platform we use. Yes, it would be amazing to not have the fee, but does MS sell enough extra consoles to make up for the loss of revenue of everyone paying for this annual membership every year. Doubtful. As such, giving it up would simply not be good business sense.

Now, I do think the more realistic argument would be for highly discounted game pass (or in Sony's case, PS Now) that would come with the membership. Rather than a sizable monthly fee- give people the option to get a year of Live/PSPlus + Gamepass/PSNow for $99.

This kind of offer I think would be quite tempting for many, and would really get people engaged with the respective platforms, and generate some additional revenue.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If they kill XBL gold for online I'll buy an Xbox tomorrow. Paying for multiplayer is what killed my interest for consoles.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
That's a really good point that I hadn't considered and I don't have a good answer for it. But I think that ultimately the long term fate of legacy games tied to subscriptions is really precarious for MS and Sony alike and that will have to be addressed by both at some point. I'm not sure how they will manage it if there are any substantial changes to those services in the future, which I imagine is inevitable.

Sadly, I doubt anyone will do much about it. Granted, you have publishers like Steam and GoG preserving older PC titles but console gamers are losing the war on preservation. If it's not a hard copy or installed on secondary memory, it can be taken away at any moment. That being said, if the growing opinion that Microsoft will lead the big three next gen comes to pass, I expect MS will lean back on the quality of GWG games just like Sony did when the PS4 surged ahead in sales. Then we'll probably see more effort spent on Game Pass titles since their goal seems to be less on giving away free games but driving Game Pass title sales.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
They'll probably just combine Gold and Gamepass into a single service.

Ideas:

$20 a month just for the XBL+GP service.
$30 a month for the combo service + a Low-End Xbox One S console for two years contract. You own the console after 2 years.
$45 a month for the service and High-End Xbox One X console for 2 years. You own the console after 2 years.

After 2 years, you own the Xbox you have and the fee drops to the standard $20 a month.

aka - the Smartphone model.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They just need to merge both services into a basic fee, then probably add a premium version with some other privileges on top.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I don`t think I said on my post it is me or Sony or Nintendo, I said consumers.

What does that even mean? Consumers decide how exactly? By doing what?

On here it's deemed they decide by buying the most consoles. That has worked pretty well up until now but it will not going forwards and that was my point.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think paid online factors too much into the masses' console purchasing decisions compared to more niche groups. One reason why it has expanded onto other platforms, and why so many customers flocked to the platform that created the idea. So I don't think removing it will cause huge waves in the long run, but I think combining Gold+Gamepass would be a great deal/value.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I think putting first party games day and date on gamepass is already likely an expensive proposition for them. I think they're likely going to want to keep XBL subs as a way to offset that.

If anything I could see them updating the two offerings. Eg :
- remove free games from XBL - why incentivise people to *not* sign up for game pass where you're getting more games?
- possibly reduce XBL cost as a result of removing games so its more like Nintendo money?
- Have a combined gamepass/XBL subscription at a discounted overall price

So eg XBL is $9.99 per month. Drop GwG and make it $7.99 per month. Gamepass is $9.99 per month. Launch a 'XBL platinum' for $14.99 per month which is gamepass + XBL (along with the usual discounted yearly prices)

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
On PS4, you don't need PS+ to play online multiplayer F2P games. On Xbox, I was told, you do need to have Gold.

Is it true?

Nov 12, 2017
I think putting first party games day and date on gamepass is already likely an expensive proposition for them. I think they're likely going to want to keep XBL subs as a way to offset that.

If anything I could see them updating the two offerings. Eg :
- remove free games from XBL - why incentivise people to *not* sign up for game pass where you're getting more games?
- possibly reduce XBL cost as a result of removing games so its more like Nintendo money?
- Have a combined gamepass/XBL subscription at a discounted overall price

So eg XBL is $9.99 per month. Drop GwG and make it $7.99 per month. Gamepass is $9.99 per month. Launch a 'XBL platinum' for $14.99 per month which is gamepass + XBL (along with the usual discounted yearly prices)
exactly this

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking for a while they should drop the charge and that they will once they position Game Pass where they need it to replace the Gold sub. It doesn't make since I can play on Live on all platforms for free, but the one that they own (aside from Windows 10) I have to pay for multiplayer. It's only logical sense that they either remove it or add it to the other platforms. And highly doubt they would add it to the other platforms. Some major backlash would come from that.

May 21, 2018
Hmm... gonna briefly ponder this again.

Xbox Live Gold is $60 a year, which equates to $5 per month. Microsoft could simply integrate that price into the Gamepass sub somehow and allow it full online Multiplayer access. They could do this while keeping Gold exactly as it is.

ShaDowDaNca

Nov 1, 2017
I have no desire to use gamepass or pay anymore for XBL.

Only way to reach me would to include gamepass in gold for the same price.

Khalid

Oct 25, 2017
I hope that they do not merge Gold with Gamepass or they do not kill Gold. I used to pay like 40$ for it and now I just get it from Bing Rewards and I like getting my 4 games a month.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Gold seems almost pointless right now compared to what Game Pass offers. You get discounts anyway on GP titles (although not necessarily as much as Gold discounts, obviously). Personally, I don't play online anything, and the free game offerings pale in comparison. I'd be OK with doing away with Gold or as others have said, just merge the two into a single service.

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
I remember all those "Sony's leaving money on the table not charging for online!" shitposts that plagued the old board. Now Sony dominates another generation and money is no longer important, but "hearts and minds" is.

LOOOOOOL

A multi-billion dollar company isn't about to drop millions of dollars in revenue to make the consumer feel better about a console purchase.

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
One way I could see it working is if they kill gold requirement for multiplayer, but instead launch a new premium game pass sub where you have the perks of gold plus the game pass sub. So basically:

Game Pass (10$ month): Access to game pass catalog.
Game Pass Gold (15$ month): Access to game pass catalog, games with gold, and deals with gold.

An extra 5$ per month is 60$ per year, so equivalent to gold revenue. Now how many people would subscribe to these services is the question.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I think if the PS5 is BC there's nothing MS can do to "win"...they're too handicaped going into next gen, living as we are in the digital age

An installed base of aprox 50M vs 120M at next gen launch is not something that can be overcomed easily, whatever they do.

People will be tied up into Sony's ecosystem and BC will just seal the deal.

Oct 25, 2017
I think if the PS5 is BC there's nothing MS can do to "win"...they're too handicaped going into next gen, living as we are in the digital age
That makes me wonder if you will need PS Plus to play PS3 games online on the PS5. Would be a bit silly if you needed it on one machine and not the other (the PS3).

Although Microsoft currently has a system where you need Gold on the Xbox One but not on Windows 10 so it's not entirely far fetched.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
That makes me wonder if you will need PS Plus to play PS3 games online on the PS5. Would be a bit silly if you needed it on one machine and not the other (the PS3).

Although Microsoft currently has a system where you need Gold on the Xbox One but not on Windows 10 so it's not entirely far fetched.

They could make it free if they want to because let's be real, how many people will own a PS5 to play PS3 online games and not play any PS4 or PS5 online games?

They wouldn't loose any money at all imo

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, if shareholders and investors in the Xbox brand are putting money into xbox to sell more than playstation. Then yes, it would work decently well. But, MS would lose a giant margin of their profit, and for a corporations thats quite the opposite of "winning"

Oct 27, 2017

An installed base of aprox 50M vs 120M at next gen launch is not something that can be overcomed easily, whatever they do.

People will be tied up into Sony's ecosystem and BC will just seal the deal.
Exactly, the brand-power + ecosystem combo is an uphill battle you simply can't win. It's Pepsi vs. Coca Cola.
If you took the next Xbox and put a "Nintendo" sticker onto it...well, that would be an epic showdown.

Also, something people on Era don't consider: X1 was heavily overstocked in Europe and Europes's biggest retail chains for electronics Saturn and MM provided Tier 2 countries with Xboxes. Something like that is not going to happen again. Stock and logistics cost a ton of money. Retailers in Europe will be more cautious with their orders this time for sure, well, unless they suck at their job. They will most likely place huge initial orders for PS5 and rather small orders for X1, so a out of stock situation for PS4 and overstocked situation for X1 doesn't happen again.

Last edited:

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
Keep both but make gamepass work like an upgraded gold so you don't have to pay twice = problem solved

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
They need fresh games that are exclusive to the platform and they need to prove that they can deliver constant quality over the years to "win" imo.

I'm sure at E3 this year we will see a blowout of trailers from all their new studios for whatever it is they're working on, but also, we haven't played anything yet and it'll be a long time before we can give them the benefit of the doubt that they can deliver. This gen they lost so much enthesueaum from me it's hard to get hyped until we see what they're working on and if those things are actually good or not.

May 21, 2018
Offering a 'Gamepass + fully featured Gold' bundle and pricing it at $14.99 (in time for the 'full' PC rollout) would effectively add Gold's multiplayer subscription fee to the perks offered by Gamepass without them taking a hit on dropping the other revenue stream -- Microsoft could leave XBL Gold the way it is for the people who still aren't interested in Gamepass.

The truth is, Gamepass still hasn't reached the kind of adoption rate that could hinder the acceptance of something like this (referring to the $5 price hike for adding in Gold privileges). In other words, such a bundle of the two -under one fee- could work without eliminating either subscription... and there wouldn't be too much objection (in my opinion).

The more I've come back to ponder this, the more I see it making sense for them to just merge the two in some manner akin to ^this, as opposed to making online play free on the console side.

Of course it's also possible that they'll do something vastly different based on the data and/or goals they have in mind. I just hope that whatever they do works out well for both them and the fanbase.

Last edited: