• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlandrewYT

Nov 27, 2017
Wave Race EASY. I always thought 1080 was boring. After SSX came out, it was a wrap for me. Wave Race on the other hand is one of my favorite pick up and play arcade games of all time.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
Wave Race 64 is mechanically the best racing game ever made.

There is no contest for anyone who has mastered both of these.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Why not both.

Just make an Endless Ocean game that follows the Just Cause 2/3 style open world formula with ski physics and Jet Ski's as optional activities.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wave Race has a lot nostalgia attached for me, so I'd go with that. But if possible I'd go with both of course.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Wave Race and no contest.

The feeling of the waves is just too good and I don't care for snowboarding games at all.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know any series much, but there's good jetski and such racers out there like Hydro Thunder Hurricane and Riptide GP playable on current-gen consoles, whereas there's nothing really worthy for snowboarding, so sign me up for 1080.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I assure you Wave Race destroys and current gen jetski racer

Quite possibly so. Was just wondering about what genre we need the most. There hasn't been a high quality arcade snowboarding game in a bit: Steep is awesome imho but more "boots to the ground" to borrow a Call Of Duty term, and even the SSX reboot, while fun, took a more realistic approach. We do have a couple quality water racing games though.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I like both... but I think Wave Race's gameplay is more interesting with the waves and how they are affected by the weather.

If 1080Âş went nuts like SSX, I'd have a harder time choosing.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I don't know why, but I never cared for Wave Race 64 much. It was one of the only big N64 games I didn't love. That and Blast Corps. I tried, but it didn't do a lot for me, even though I like the genre to this day.

1080 Snowboarding was my cup of tea, though. I fell in love with that game, hard, and spent days playing it. So obviously 1080.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I would say Wave Race. Played it a lot more than 1080, but I do want another 1080. Especially with no skateboarding games put, 1080 (or SSX) could kind of take THPS old spot and be the only game in town.

Wave Race though was one of my favorite N64 racing games. Really appreciated how much you could do with the jestskis and the water physics were really fucking good. You could feel them and learn to mitigate slow down and use them to your advantage.

the androgyne

Oct 30, 2017
Wave Race, although after 20 years of waiting for a real sequel (come at me), you know also i'm kind of ok just leaving it be.
Wave Race 64 is virtually untouchable, i honestly doubt they have it in them to improve upon it. If they even did it themselves, instead of farming it out to someone. And i'm at the point where i literally don't want them to change a single thing about it, which you know they will. So i just keep playing 64 and it keeps on giving. Ran a whole bunch of time trials for www.speedrun.com/wr64 the past few months or so and had just as good a time as when it first came out. I encourage everyone who's a fan to submit a few times and pop in the WR64 Discord as well, a great bunch of guys there.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll meet you in the middle - Snowmobiles.

hey_guys_watch_me_on_my_new_snowmobile-86006.gif

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Wave Race, not contest. 1080 is nice, sure, but i will never have the fond memories for that game like i have for Wave Race 64!

And bring back Miles Jeter and unlockable dolphin-riding in trainings mode.

Mysterio79

Oct 25, 2017
Wave Race, although after 20 years of waiting for a real sequel (come at me), you know also i'm kind of ok just leaving it be.
Wave Race 64 is virtually untouchable, i honestly doubt they have it in them to improve upon it. If they even did it themselves, instead of farming it out to someone. And i'm at the point where i literally don't want them to change a single thing about it, which you know they will. So i just keep playing 64 and it keeps on giving. Ran a whole bunch of time trials for www.speedrun.com/wr64 the past few months or so and had just as good a time as when it first came out. I encourage everyone who's a fan to submit a few times and pop in the WR64 Discord as well, a great bunch of guys there.
Agreed and I'll add one more thing.

While crude by today's standards, the game is still somehow one of the most timelessly beautiful in gaming history

tumblr_p20baoptBy1r7sijxo1_500.gif

Baleoce

Oct 27, 2017
Difficult. Personally I'd go for 1080 based on the amount of time I put into it. But I would love either.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
neither of these games would get the budget they need to be anything more than decent so i don't really want them back.

if they did however i would probably lean slightly more towards 1080. love me some snowboard games and they are non-existent at the moment.

the androgyne

Oct 30, 2017
While crude by today's standards, the game is still somehow one of the most timelessly beautiful in gaming history

Yeap. It's not just the visuals but the audio that makes the presentation beautiful too. It's like an arcade game with the way it seamlessly moves from attract sequence > menus > game > finish, time screen right through to the final results screen, that makes it feel like you're there and experiencing it like a true event. One of the benefits of no loading on cartridge back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.