• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
You don't really need a power house to emulate PS1 and PS2 games, so all of a sudden people expect PS5 to be backwards compatible with most previous generations. In fact some people are taking advantage of current sales and are currently praying to the Gods so they become useful purchases at some point.

So what do you think?
In my opinion Sony doesn't give a f*ck and only a select group of PS4 games will be compatible.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure Sony already confirmed it was backwards compatible with PS4. No clues about PS1, PS2, or PS3.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it's been confirmed

situation with ps3 --> ps4 is totally unrelated, technically and commercially.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
PS4 not having backwards compatibility and PS5 not having it are two very different situations. While I see your point about PS1/PS2 games, I think when we talk about PS5 BC we're mostly talking about it within the context of being able to play PS4 games on PS5, and given how similar the architecture will be, there's really no reason for it not to be there. I think MS going all in on BC has also put Sony in a position where they kinda have to as well.

If the PS5 has BC for every previous Playstation console really remains to be seen, but I personally think PS4 BC is what will happen at an absolute bare minimum.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Sony said PS5 would be compatible with ALL PS4 games is not enough for you OP?

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Wildly different landscape? Hardware not changing drastically, not coming from exotic architecture a la PS3 and having a cohesive ecosystem being necessary going forward.

Not commuting to BC and a growing, evolving ecosystem would be a massive misstep. Would pretty much guarantee I start the gen with series X and consider Sony when VR gets its time to shine.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I mean, for one, x86 architecture makes it painfully simple to do.

The only question for me, is whether they do PS3 BC.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Their similar architecture and the fact that people invest money more than ever on their PSN Account (not respecting those purchases could become an issue especially if their competitor does it) makes it a no-brainer.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
  • They announced BC
  • A bunch of the biggest games are GaaS
  • Increasing shift from physical to digital
  • Pressure from Microsoft to provide BC
PS5 will be BC with PS4 - at least 95% of the library, if not 100%.

It doesn't matter whether or not you think Sony "gives a fuck" about BC. There is enormous market pressure to provide the feature.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
It will be compatible because Cerny said it will be:

www.gamespot.com

Everything You Need To Know About The PS5

The PS5 is out now. Here's everything you need to know about your new console and how to set it up.

Cerny also confirmed the PS5 will be backwards compatible with PS4 games, as the two consoles are built upon similar internal architectures. This will be welcome news for those who were disappointed by the PS4's lack of backwards compatibility with PS3, PS2, and PS1 games.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Because they said it will. Going back on their word would be a massive oof moment. But you're right in not expecting for PS1/2 compatibility outside the PSN releases.

ScottyJayMan

Nov 1, 2017
PS4 yes it will be backwards compatible. Though I could see them charging again for the PS2 classics to be compatible with PS5

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
PS3 was really weird as a hardware compared with all the other PS consoles. PS4 not being backwards compatible was an exception rather than the rule.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
It came straight from the horses mouth.

Horse = Mark Cerny.

Mark Cerny = PS5 lead designer.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
For an enthusiast forum, I am constantly surprised by just how uninformed many people are regarding what was already announced backwards compatibility wise, both on the PlayStation and Xbox side

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 and Xbox One are basically PCs. Previous consoles had unique architecture that made such a thing harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.