• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Switch Lite barely came out a month ago. Yet people are wanting BF deals on it? If it sold like crap, sure. But it's not selling like crap.

Same with Nintendo's games. They're evergreen because they don't devalue them AND they're good games.

You know what you're getting your wallet into when you join the Nintendo ecosystem.

Do I want them to discount it? Sure, as a consumer I do.

As a businessman, I want them to sell it for the maximum price that consumers can tolerate.

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
I'd probably say it's going to sell even more because word of mouth is going to get around. Those who can't afford it will want it.

I don't know, I got a C- in Econ in high school.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Because discounting a product on the biggest selling day of the year gets more people into your ecosystem? This is not hard to understand.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Nintendo ain't a charity. They ain't your friend. They're a business and businesses make money.

Of course. Let's start a campaign to stop sales of everything.

This topic has no discussion possible. Everyone knows businesses are out to make money and people like low prices.

What are we going to discuss?

OP
OP
Kieli

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Of course. Let's start a campaign to stop sales of everything.

This topic has no discussion possible. Everyone knows businesses are out to make money and people like low prices.

What are we going to discuss?

I love Steam sales. I enjoy PSN sales too. I get most of my games this way.

I waited a couple months for DMC, and it was discounted from $80 --> $53 or something.

Point is Nintendo doesn't do this, and they don't need to.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
If you can't afford a $200 console, you really can't afford their AAA games that almost never go on sale.
It's not about whether or not you can afford it, it's whether or not you want to spend your money on it versus something else.

It's the reason why most people buy things on sale; they'd rather use the difference in cost toward something they see more value in.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, sure.

On the other hand, basically no one who is buying the product gives a damn about you. It's your job, not theirs.

OP
OP
Kieli

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did this thread need to be made? A company as big as Nintendo doesn't need some random fan defending their pricing practices on a website as fanboyish as this one.

I don't actually own any Nintendo consoles. Their games aren't for me, haha. But I do concede they are extremely high quality (barring a few misteps).

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Steam sales. I enjoy PSN sales too. I get most of my games this way.

I waited a couple months for DMC, and it was discounted from $80 --> $53 or something.

Point is Nintendo doesn't do this, and they don't need to.
They should though just because you don't think they need to doesn't mean that it would be better if they did.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
you're preaching to the choir here. you'll pay a premium with switch and the games and it's understood why

OP
OP
Kieli

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They should though just because you don't think they need to doesn't mean that it would be better if they did.

If they want to be nice, yes. But being nice doesn't take a company anywhere. You just have to not be evil, and Nintendo isn't evil.

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to think that the people who would have bought it full price would have done so already, so you lower the price to get the people holding out for whatever reason.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the PS4 sells like crazy too and they frequently discount, because they know getting the customer into their ecosystem (or buying 3 games at the holidays instead of just 1 with the money they "saved" on the console) is worth it.

You don't need to create threads that scream "I took econ 101 at the community college" to explain simple concepts. People know what you're attempting to shout, they just don't like it especially when they can see competitors doing extremely well with pracitces they find more friendly.

OP
OP
Kieli

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not a charity either, which is why I give my money to everyone else.

If enough people did this, then Nintendo would see slumping sales and would (1) create better bundles or (2) lower the prices.

Either one is a benefit to the consumer that has a cause and effect, not just arbitrary sales for the sake of it.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
We're app cheap ass gamers at heart but yeah Nintendo sees the value in every game they develop. Even aftee the next one come out.

Iwata would be spinning in his grave if Mario hit the bargain bins because the latest just released.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
If enough people did this, then Nintendo would see slumping sales and would (1) create better bundles or (2) lower the prices.

Either one is a benefit to the consumer that has a cause and effect, not just arbitrary sales for the sake of it.
Did you just take your first business class or something

OP
OP
Kieli

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Exactly, that's why consumers like sales.

Why consumers should care about companies investors?

I like sales too. I'm just saying expecting a BF sale on something that came out 1 month ago and is selling very well (discount or no discount) is kinda dumb.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they want to be nice, yes. But being nice doesn't take a company anywhere. You just have to not be evil, and Nintendo isn't evil.
None of that means what you think it does, the switch mini probably will get a discount and that's whatever, Nintendo has had bf sales for the last few years.

OP
OP
Kieli

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's tricky, because the price US can "tolerate" is not the same as many other countries, like mine (Brazil).

But it's a market they just don't care.

I don't know about Brazil, but I know it's very expensive to own consoles outside of core markets like NA/EU/JP.

That's why mobile and PC games are so popular. Which is really a shame because I'd love to see these markets get into games --> become game developers --> release games from different culture/perspectives.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Because tons of people buy shit on Black Friday ? If someone went "x product is discounted " its more than likely to push some people over the fence to buy the product.
And once you get people into the ecosystem its very profitable by selling other things like Games,Online Services..etc

Its better to lose $50 and make it back ten fold when the person eventually has to buy other shit on your system.
Its better to expand your userbase rather than keep a small one and charge them higher.

I don't know about Brazil, but I know it's very expensive to own consoles outside of core markets like NA/EU/JP.

That's why mobile and PC games are so popular. Which is really a shame because I'd love to see these markets get into games --> become game developers --> release games from different culture/perspectives.

Consoles were actually very popular in many countries because of piracy. Idk how it is now though with recent consoles.

Jorden1506

May 29, 2018
Netherlands
For consoles the hardware never is the focus for profit the profit is in games and peripherals like the ring con etc so having deals on hardware eventually pays back big time

OP
OP
Kieli

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because tons of people buy shit on Black Friday ? If someone went "x product is discounted " its more than likely to push some people over the fence to buy the product.

And once you get people into the ecosystem its very profitable by selling other things like Games,Online Services..etc

Next year, that strategy would make a lot of sense. The people who were in, would be in. The fence straddlers may be persuaded. But we've seen that Switch has consistently been selling well. It doesn't really need to rope more people into the ecosystem that weren't already going to.

Same thing with Apple. They don't discount their stuff. That's because there's a loyal 60 million people every year buying their ridiculously priced (but very high quality) products.

OP
OP
Kieli

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For consoles the hardware never is the focus for profit the profit is in games and peripherals like the ring con etc so having deals on hardware eventually pays back big time

Ok, this is probably one of the few posts in the thread that has me changing my mind. Hadn't thought about this.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Every time I see these threads I am confused (less and less each time) that some people put their cheerleading of mega corporations ahead of their own interests.

Congrats on liking Nintendo I guess OP. Hopefully people looking for deals on their products doesn't keep you up too late at night.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Okay, so they buy the console and they can't afford to get the games. What's the point of getting the console then?
Buy the games used or during (non publisher related) sales. I never spend more than 30€ on a game and I've amassed quite a sizeable library of titles for the Switch as well as all my other consoles.