• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would this factor in your decision of getting a PS5?

• Yes, I wouldn't get one

Votes: 1,155 44.6%
  • Yes, I'd wait more than normal before getting it

Votes: 353 13.6%
  • Nope, I'd still get it.

Votes: 1,084 41.8%

• Total voters

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Like it or not, there's a noticeable trend in the industry currently: the vanishing of exclusivity. With initiatives like Cross-Play / Cross-Progression, less and less full third party exclusives being funded and stuff like Microsoft putting absolutely every single game they make on PC on day one, the platforms are becoming more than the little boxes they used to be.

Sony currently is in an interesting situation. This generation established Sony as one of the top tier, premium publishers thanks to the work of Sony WorldWide Studios, and there's no doubts that games like Spider-Man or God of War moved some consoles. Sony, however, has also been starting to follow this trend more and more. PS Now allows PC players to enjoy many of the PS4's greatest exclusives, and they've even allowed for things like the Quantic Dream games to release on PC or Death Stranding's release on the same platform next year.

If, hypothetically, Sony followed Microsoft and announced they were going to put all of their games on PC at the very least, would that factor in your decision of getting a PS5? Or would you still pick it up for the convenience of a console?

Personally, I'd probably still get one, but towards the end of the generation when it's dirt cheap. I'm not somebody that picks up systems day one tho, so it doesn't really mean much.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like gaming on PC. I will if something is PC exclusive or the console versions are just cruddy. But generally I just prefer playing on console where I can just plug and play with everything. For all the advancements that PC gaming has made in the last decade in accessibility there is still just enough room to have to deal with fiddly stupid problems that I don't like dealing with it.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I would still get one
I've always owned the consoles and PC's are expensive up keeps.

like the amount of money i would have to spend to make my pc a 4K 100+ FPS machine (big ass monitor included) would cost more than it would for me to buy a 4k60 Xbox and Ps5.

will always roll consoles first.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
The sole reason I buy Sony consoles is for the exclusives and most of my friends play on PC anyway.

So yeah.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
At this point it's going to cost me about $1-point-something-thousand to get my computer next-gen ready, so I'd really rather put down the $400 to $500 on the PS5 to be honest.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd still get one. Consoles are more comfortable to me, realised that this generation.

Vargas

Oct 27, 2017
I have never cared for playing games on my PC, I would still get everything on PS5.

Oct 25, 2017
No, because I don't play Sony's first party titles. If I bought a PS5, it would only be for 3rd party games, but most of those are coming to PC or Switch these days.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm mostly a PC gamer, but I'd still get a PS5. It's about the Japanese games for me.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Yep, I wouldn't buy a PS5
Just a Scarlett for Game Pass + would buy Sony games

But it won't happen so...

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Still grabbing 2 at launch.

I use my PC for certain kinds of games, and even then I'm not super into gaming on my PC, I'm just a console kind of guy.

MrBanballow

Not changing this tag
May 1, 2019
Well, considering that I don't have an Xbox because the few exclusives I want are playable on PC, I don't think this decision would bode well for a future hypothetical PS5 purchase.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
My PS4 library of games is 90% exclusives/timed exclusives so yeah I wouldn't bother getting the console if everything was on PC.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Unless there are third-party Japanese exclusives I'm missing out on from the likes of SEGA and co, I absolutely would not get a PS5 yes. I only use my consoles to play exclusive games though the Switch is nice in that I can play certain multiplats in handheld mode. That's way more valuable to me than just another box.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
PlayStation exclusives, on PC, with mods, better visuals, and at 60-144 FPS? Why would I bother with a PS5 in that case?

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Those are going to PC too. There's really no point in Playstation even existing if Sony can't keep their own games exclusive.

I think you shouldn't think of "Playstation" as a console you play games on but instead a group of studios that make great games. Next gen might redefine how people think of the brands in their living rooms. IMO that's a big reason why Microsoft rebranded their first party as "Xbox Game Studios".

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In that instance I'd just buy whichever console was the most powerful. So yea, there's a chance I wouldn't be buying the PS5.