• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Been hearing more and more about streaming being the future of gaming. Yet there is already a streaming platforms out now that barely gets talked about. Is streaming really is the future why aren't people using psnow.

Booki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
The future ain't now, homie.

It'd get so much more use from me if I could download the PS3 titles. I don't wanna boot up my PS3 to finish up Yakuza 5.

Uncle at Nintendo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Jan 3, 2018
Internet is shit in the US (biggest market for video games) and is capped by greedy companies like Time Warner. If we had SK or Japan tier internet we'd be living in the future literally right now.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
The idea is streaming will expand to a larger audience because it is easily accessible with trade-offs that a larger audience won't care much about.

The people that are spending $400 on a console in the first place is not this audience.

(Not to suggest there is no overlap between these audiences. How much of an overlap remains to be seen.)

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Because it's the future, not the present.

When we get to the point that streaming gaming is as easy, accessible, accurate, and cheap as streaming Netflix, you'll know we're in that future.

MrDonutHouse

Feb 13, 2019
It would certainly help if games weren't regularly over 100GB these days, then people might actually be able to play them before they have to pay for another month of service.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Because Sony isn't treating it as a priority. Recent games are few and far between on the service, whereas Project Stream came out swinging with the newly released Assassin's Creed Odyssey

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I should try PSNow. I keep meaning to, I just keep forgetting. Seems like a good service, I love Game Pass, so I should try this too.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Consider a country like Canada where internet is capped and overpriced to the most ridiculous extent

Streaming probably is the future. But first things need to change

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
1- Cuz its not the future yet.
2- PSNow is only available in a few contries

Streaming is just 1 more alternative, not a replacement. (see movie and music industry)

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I'm at the end of a week long trial and for me there just isn't enough to justify $20 a month (yes I know there are other plans for cheaper but still).

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
shitloads of people use PS Now and it's not even the strongest streaming service available (in terms of consistency, latency, and image quality), so I've got absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Streaming stands to explode once it's actually an outward focus for these companies. You're dismissing new tech because your friends aren't talking about the prototype, and that's just silly.

Been hearing more and more about raytracing being the future of real time graphics. Yet Metro has RTX now and it's certainly not competing with Call of Duty. If RTX really is the future why isn't everyone playing Metro
that's you, right now

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
see spaceballs on how the future works.

but in general it's regarded as not so good, but i'm sure some games play well enough

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'd love to give it a try here in Taiwan since Internet is cheap, fast, and reliable here (just did a speed test & I got 6ms ping, 69MBps DL, 10.5MBps UL on my plan which is about $14 USD/month and even the 300MBps plans are pretty cheap), but Taiwan isn't one of the supported countries.

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Because even with good internet speed there are still sacrifices. Unlike netflix which looks "good enough" for most people, streaming games still have lag and don't look as good as local. That said, the future will eventually catch up. But PSNow may or may not lead that charge.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Because its not very good.
Nail on the head. Sony's current implementation is very poor. MS's xCloud has some ai powered, prediction algorithms that supposedly help with latency. But the real truth is that it's the "future". It's not "today" as most countries have too poor of an infrastructure to support it.

Perhaps 5G will be the gateway.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they should change the name of it to Playstation Future, then some of you will get on board.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Streaming will never be the future unless it becomes a valid option for emerging markets. If people cannot experience it in countries like Russia or Brazil, it shouldn't be an option at all.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Because PS Now is not a good streaming service in my experience, it's ludicrously slow to start games, the image quality is awful and the lag is intolerable. Other streaming services come with a little more hope attached, but we'll have to see how they fare when they scale up.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's expensive, not very good, and the selection isn't great. Not many people think of the "future" as playing a bunch of PS3 games and a handful of notable PS4 titles that have been like 5 bucks a dozen times.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
It sucks which is why I have very little hope for the Xbox streaming app. Even wired to my PS4 I had notable latency and pixelation. I can only imagine how it will be on the Switch WiFi.