• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
I don't know man it just doesn't feel good to me. Recently I remembered the Gaikai demo of Dead Space and how good that felt even with a mouse and keyboard. PS Now feels bad to me even with a controller. They still need to do work.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Internet is shit in the US (biggest market for video games) and is capped by greedy companies like Time Warner. If we had SK or Japan tier internet we'd be living in the future literally right now.

This is the answer.
I'd also add Eastern Europe to the crazy good internet locales. I don't have the 1GB plan but can easily reach 400mbit DL speeds.

I've also made this topic recently (https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps-now-vs-the-real-deal.100391/) where I was wary of jumping on board since I already own the old consoles but since then I've finished a game with no discernible latency, and I think I'm sold on the service.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
PSNow is not even available in the country where i live, so basically this service does not exist for me. 😂

qrac

Nov 13, 2017
Well I can see that it is a problem in the americas, so I will bet that it is the future in Europe and SK/Japan who have great internet speeds/low latency and no data-caps. Hell Nividia already does streaming and it works just fine. PSNow doesn't cover whole of Europe and the library is mostly old games. When one of the big players have streaming in Europe/SK/Japan with new games day one it will blow up. Xbox (with Nintendo?), Google or Apple is going to make it popular.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
maybe(hopefully) it isn't the future? Games are not like video or music.

Last edited:

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
European here -- I used it to play Red Dead Redemption before the sequel came out, as well as dabble in the final days of Warhawk. Had an almost flawless experience with it. I wouldn't pay it on a continual basis because I wouldn't get the value out of it, but it was great for the purpose I had for it. I thought there would be some issue with playing an online multiplayer game via streaming, but it worked great.

It's a fine streaming service by itself. The issue is access for a lot of people, as well as a limited catalogue -- I would mainly want to use it for games I otherwise wouldn't have access to, as with my limited free time, if I wasn't interested in buying a game, I wouldn't be interested enough to pay a sub to play that same game.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not marketed heavily, it's not available everywhere and both things probably boil down to that Sony doesn't have the proper infrastructure right now to serve to millions of customers, queuing is already a thing on PSNow because of occupied gaming slots. For an "on-demand" service that's not what you would expect.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
The country support really sucks. From what I'm seeing, it's only available in 12 countries, and there doesn't really seem to be that much interest from Sony in expanding this. The limits don't even really seem to make much sense from a latency perspective at least as far as Europe is concerned. My latency to servers in Austria or even Germany is completely fine since they're close enough (for example GeForce Now worked for me, and I'm pretty sure they didn't have servers in my country). But Sony has decided I'm not allowed to give them money, so I don't.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Price point, shitty online structure (sony), not a very good library, not available everywhere.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Keep seeing posts about Australia, but two of my Aussie friends got some kind of national broadband service, they said it's great.

Deleted member 49132

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
1) Game selection is trash

2) Network speed/latency isn't up to snuff yet for most people

It's obvious why it's not a hit right now. But it's also obvious why it could be a hit in the future.

Cmon OP.

Edit: Also price ain't quite where it needs to be yet either, but that will come in time just like the other 2 things

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Its not the future yet.
When will the future be now?
GuYcptu.gif

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
1. It's too expensive
2. offers subpar experience to native rendering & play
3, and this is could only be me - I like to own my games.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Wasn't the "it generates more income than everything else" a thing from Superdata, which wasn't exactly reliable? Why is anyone repeating it as gospel?

We had some of the market analysts on this forum say it wasn't "that far from the truth" either, so while not 100% accurate it's not really off either. I can't find the quote right now though.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Games Pass offers Microsoft's entire first-party lineup of Xbox One titles, brand new first party games at the day of release, XB1 games released across the generation, and dozens of backwards compatible 360 and OG Xbox titles. It costs $10/mo, and often drops down to substantially lower prices when on sale. I got 6 months for $30, for instance.

PS Now offers a handful of Sony's first party titles on PS4, and nothing too recent. Much of its PS4 offerings are sub-par, and while its PS3 collection is expansive, many of the games on offer demand far greater reaction speeds than the input latency of streaming allows for (such as the many fighting games on the service). It costs $20/mo, $45 for three months, or $100/yr. Very rarely are subscriptions offered on a discount, and they are never steep when they do happen.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
so lag is an issue, US and other countries don't have the infrastructure to support it (or data caps etc)

But xCloud is still this shiny star of the future of gaming, along with amazon/google getting in on it?

Doesn't compute

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
When we will have a "Netflix for gamers" then it will be.
PSNow has not all the games available but just a selection, is not out in every country, and its quite expensive.
Not talking about the current issues with streaming that is still not perfect enough for gaming.

So not now, but it will be.

Oct 27, 2017
Internet speed is my biggest issue. I tried the beta and it worked somewhat but my speed isn't good enough to play lag free so I don't think I will use it until I get a better one.

As for others? I imagine it not being available everywhere is an issue.

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Streaming is never going to be as quality an experience as playing on local hardware. I think there's a market for both, and there always will be.

I think people who say it's the future are getting ahead of themselves a tad. It's just going to be another way to play, and the technology will manifest itself in many different ways. Maybe some players will buy a monthly sub like Netflix and stream games from the cloud, while others may buy the sub and play on their hardware. Other players may primarily buy games to own and play on their own hardware, but take advantage of the technology to stream from their own PC/console when on the go, or if their home internet isn't up to par pay a smaller amount each month to stream games that they've already purchased for their PC/console from the cloud when on the go.

I used to be super opposed to streaming, as a lot of "experts" claimed it was the future to replace hardware in the home (and if you didn't like that, you could piss off), and to me it just looked like the ultimate form of DRM. Nowadays I'm of the opinion that options are great and the way I like to play isn't going to vanish.

Deleted member 34385

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
there is not a single game that i would like to play on psnow, its all about content and sony only has some old titles right now, i puse my ps4pro to play the latest games and dont have any reason to pay extra for games i owned when i had a ps1,2 or 3.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has used PS Now and Nvidia Geforce now.

PS Now was not very good even with a 150mb connection when I used it, whereas playing Steam Games on my Nvidia Shield TV Box worked a lot better even on Wi-Fi, now I haven't tried PSNow in a little while so maybe it has also improved, the thing is my shield allows me to connect to 5Ghz Wi-Fi, whereas my original PS4 does not.

I am quite a distance from my router but I think a fair test would be to use ethernet with PSNow in the future.

The Switch has the ability to connect to 5ghz Wi-Fi, so there is a big difference right there, as to why that recent Gamepass rumour is interesting.

Also I hear the Google game streaming service is good too.

So with a few improvements to the services which will happen, more servers etc game streaming could be more widespread in the future, especially if they can get it down to Netflix levels of compatibility what does netflix need 2mb connection mimimum?

Remember the people who said "Netflix would never take off in a million years? " - I'm looking at you ex Blockbuster employees,but the difference is not that this steaming service would replace traditional gaming but rather work alongside it and of course more digital downloads future again remember the people who said "Oh that won't be a thing on the P.C" - said everyone who is now a Steam user

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
I'd use it if the library was better. I want to play Bayonetta, Vanquish, Max Payne 3, Portal 2, Dead Space, Mass Effect etc. and not some PS3 indies that got ported to PS4 already.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Streaming is a possible future, but currently, PS Now does not support 7.1 surround sound when streaming (stereo only). Not only that, PS Now does not support additional DLC apart from what is inside the game package, and the game package on PS Now is in most cases the base game only. I am not sure, but I think that resolution was also limited to max 1080p.

I rather download the game and have access to both additional DLC and the full audio & visual experience, than be limited by streaming in any way.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
According to the metrics PSNow is a lot bigger than people here give it credit for. It's just in this small bubble not many like the idea of streaming games. It's doing plenty well for Sony.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Could Aussie internet even deal with streaming games?
Yes easily. Just gotta wait for the NBN rollout to complete. 5G should help as well.

It's not that widely used yet because I don't think it's been positioned as a major offering yet. Better pricing and marketing should boost it's use, along with launch of devices beyond just home consoles which support it. Delay requirements also demand deployment of (relatively) local cloud/compute infrastructure which is being slowly rolled out. I imagine not many places today receive great performance due to distance from servers. This should improve over time.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Been hearing more and more about streaming being the future of gaming. Yet there is already a streaming platforms out now that barely gets talked about. Is streaming really is the future why aren't people using psnow.

So back in 1920 you would have said "If TV is the future why more people don't have one"? All of this happens gradually. It is not by coincidence that you are seeing everybody and their grandma announcing the future launch of a cloud gaming service.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
mmm I could give it a try now that I have a proper low latency fiber connection. Is psnow available in Italy?

Sep 28, 2018
There is a good 5 - 10 years before the technology catches up with the concept... I'm dubbing this 'SEGA Syndrome' where you have an excellent idea but the world aint ready for it yet.