• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

If Tears of the Kingdom launches WITHOUT a Switch 2, will you skip playing TotK on its release date?

• Yes, I do not want to experience the game with the current Switch´s limitations

Votes: 504 20.4%
  • Yes, but for other reasons not related to the Switch´s limitations

Votes: 110 4.5%
  • No, I will disappointingly play it on the current Switch if that is my only option

Votes: 874 35.4%
  • No, I was going to play it on the current Switch regardless of their being a Switch 2 available

Votes: 977 39.6%

• Total voters

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Its hard to talk about a Switch 2 without mentioning TotK. Maybe its because the Switch launched with BotW, or rather how Nintendo has been very secretive with showing any footage leading to believe we will see a full blowout only when the Switch 2 is revealed. For whatever reason, a lot of people have it in their head that TotK will be the first game they play on the Switch successor and that there is a good chance they will be releasing alongside each other. But what if that doesn´t happen and the current Switch is all there is to play the game at launch? Will you still be there day one or wait to experience the game on stronger hardware?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
There is no chance Nintendo announces a new Switch before that game comes out. As such, I'll play it at launch

I have zero clue where people are getting the idea there will be a Switch successor on the market in May lol

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I am already skipping new Switch games like Bayonetta 3 and Xenoblade 3 to play them later on better hardware, so it will probably be the same with Zelda.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Already got rid of my Switch after a decent stint while I wait for new hardware similar to what I did with the PS4 Pro in the runup to PS5. I don't mind waiting for new hardware to hit so I'll have a great game waiting day 1.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
As soon as Switch 2 is out people will be wondering why it doesn't run X game a certain way or have Y features. I'll enjoy the games as they come including Zelda

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
No lmao

You kidding me? Like it's not even out and already people acting like it's gonna be Pokémon level

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
Hell no... Nintendo and FROM games are the only ones I excuse shit performance for.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
It's launching without a switch 2 and fuck no i'm not waiting a year to play the game

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, i will buy it, dump it and play it on an emulator. Given that it is using the same ground work as BTOW, chances are pretty high that the game will be completely playable on an emulator day 1.

Deleted member 108302

Jan 29, 2022
For some games (Like Bayo 3 and all of Xenoblade) I'm waiting for better hardware. But for TotK, I don''t want to risk spoilers, so I'll play Day 1.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I do not currently own a Switch, and have been waiting for an upgraded one for several years now. I'll be there day one when a Pro or now more likely Switch 2 launches, and that's what I'll play TotK on.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As soon as Switch 2 is out people will be wondering why it doesn't run X game a certain way or have Y features. I'll enjoy the games as they come including Zelda
I mean, ideally the Switch 2 wouldn't be running the game at sub-720p and an unstable 30 fps, but maybe expectations for modern games aren't the same when it comes to Nintendo.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
The third option is mine but without the "disappointingly"

Why would I not be excited for the next 3D Zelda just because it's not launching with more pixels lol. The last one was on the same hardware and became one of my favorite games of all time.

I'm gonna buy it day one, switch or switch 2. Doesn't really matter

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I will not wait any longer. With any luck it will run pretty well on emulators at launch and I'll get my 4k/60fps goodness. If not OG Switch will be more than fine and I'm sure TotK will be one of the better running/looking titles on the system which is good enough. I would be surprised if the game run worse than the 900p relatively stable 30fps BotW ran at, save for locations like the Lost Woods. It should at the very least match that IQ/performance if not improve upon it given it's not cross gen like BotW and they've had a shit ton of time to really fine tune things.

megamanofnumbers

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Apr 28, 2022
Real Answer:
1. Buy TOTK
2. Have a Switch you bought
3. Pleasedon'tkillmemodsIdon'tadvocatepiracy
3. Emulate the game so you can experience the game at it's full potential with the tools that we definitely know exist as opposed to waiting for a system that might not even happen.
4. Have fun

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Yes. Skipping.

Monster Hunter Stories 2's performance was the point I realized I'm done with the big releases until Switch 2. It's an Indie machine now. Felt bad for anyone expecting decent performance out of Pokemon =(

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
No because it'll be a Switch game lol

I know there'll be a new Switch in the future but life is too short to sit around and wait to do stuff because it MIGHT get a better rerelease later or perform better on a console that will come out in like a year or so. I used to be pretty particular about my experience with something always being the best possible but it just got too stressful.

GARU

Oct 16, 2020
Playing it day 1 regardless but man, I do wish it was releasing on better hardware. Though I recently replayed BotW and it still somehow looks very impressive, so unlike most Nintendo Switch games, I have faith in this one to look and run well enough.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
I'll play it and have fun. If you have a good PC and a launch switch you could just dump and emulate it too.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Switch 2 isn't happening until 2024 so I don't want to wait. I'll likely just emulate it for a better experience.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
I would be hella surprised to see a Switch 2 in 2023. I think late 2024 or early 2025 at the earliest.

Well if I am super wrong and it indeed comes out in 2023 launching with Zelda then I am very excited to see what the specs are and how games perform on a 4K TV Home console style.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I was going to play it regardless. The Switch 2 being later just gives me a reason to revisit TotK later down the road.

The idea that Switch games will automatically run better on Switch 2 is a hell of an assumption.
I mean, the system will very likely be backwards compatible. At bare minimum, it'll stabilize frame rates to be rock-solid. It's not exactly an unreasonable assumption.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If the game is confirmed to be getting a Switch 2 version, yes I will wait.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I'm already getting cold sweats thinking about the scalping nightmare that will be Switch 2

Jan 15, 2019
If for some weird reason the Switch 2 wasn't launching May 12th but did have a release date within like six weeks of that date (by end of June) then I think I would wait for Switch 2. Aside from that I'll be playing day one on the ol' rectangle. But to be clear, I fully expect that if Switch 2 doesn't come May 12th, the next possibility is November 2023 because otherwise why not launch with Zelda?

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The idea that Switch games will automatically run better on Switch 2 is a hell of an assumption.
Yes, the idea that games will run better on hardware that isn't 6-years old is a hell of an assumption.

botw wasn't sub 720 or ran at "unstable 30fps" so I don't see what your post has to do with anything
My bad on the resolution bit. According to the Digital Foundry video, it ranges from 810p-900p in docked. Dunno about handheld.

But to claim that the game is a stable 30fps is definitely wrong. They've improved the performance since launch, but it's still not stable.

But like... at least 60fps 1080p is kinda expected at the moment. Switch games look horrible on a 4K TV.

No, i will buy it, dump it and play it on an emulator. Given that it is using the same ground work as BTOW, chances are pretty high that the game will be completely playable on an emulator day 1.
This is probably the best option.

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
I will play it on my launch model with its awful battery life and I'll enjoy every second of it. No use waiting for a console launch that might not exist for years.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
No point in waiting for a console that hasn't been acknowledged by the company in question

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
It's my most anticipated Game of the Year, no way am I gonna miss out on that event.

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
Yes I'll be waiting for the Switch 2 before I buy the next Zelda game. I love botw but I'm very disappointed with the switchs performance on games I enjoy. I am in no rush o play the game, I can wait a year or however long it'll take. Plenty of games to play.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I'll play it on the Switch when it's released and enjoy it.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
I have to admit that I recently started to think of doing this, yea.
Not having better hardware at this point would be baffling and incredibly disappointing.
Masterpieces deserve better hardware in 2023.
And considering I'd like to play through BOTW again as well as Hyrule Warriors AOC (this one for the first time) in the best conditions, that gives me another reason to wait if hardware coming later.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
If? So you want to entertain the idea that between now and May, Nintendo will announce, produce and release a Switch 2?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Playing it day one on Switch, and I expect to love it. I played BOTW on the Wii U where it had worse performance than Switch, and it was still my GOTY. Performance matters, but it's not a make or break it thing with me.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Probably gonna be a year between totk and switch 2, so…. Probably not.

I've skipped other games though.