• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 day): inappropriate joke
I had one of these as a rental for four days. It was an extra $20 to go from Midsize to Luxury so, you know...

giphy.gif

Was expecting a Caddy ATS but you know, rentals, you get "or equivalent". Whatever, I can see what I'm missing out on in the domestic market compared to my usual SEA sourced cars. Get onto the highway on ramp, drop the hammer a little at 35mph and even with an 8 speed transmission kicking down as far as it will go, that 3.6 Pentastar is just wheezing and resisting rising revolutions like Tiananmen Square circa 1989. That poor little V6 trying to move 4,000lbs of American pig iron was just anemic. My wife's E90 era 328xi can at least bring it when one puts the hammer down for merging into traffic and it's missing 600cc over the 300.

What happened, America? What the hell happened?

Ionitron

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I wish I understood that paragraph. Like, truly. I love cars from an aesthetic POV but your post is next level.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I had one of these as a rental for four days. It was an extra $20 to go from Midsize to Luxury so, you know...

giphy.gif

Was expecting a Caddy ATS but you know, rentals, you get "or equivalent". Whatever, I can see what I'm missing out on in the domestic market compared to my usual SEA sourced cars. Get onto the highway on ramp, drop the hammer a little at 35mph and even with an 8 speed transmission kicking down as far as it will go, that 3.6 Pentastar is just wheezing and resisting rising revolutions like Tiananmen Square circa 1989. That poor little V6 trying to move 4,000lbs of American pig iron was just anemic. My wife's E90 era 328xi can at least bring it when one puts the hammer down for merging into traffic and it's missing 600cc over the 300.

Can someone translate this for us normies

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
American automakers love trying to put underpowered engines in heavy-assed sedans for some reason.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
you know even the rental Mustangs have the line lock option in them now(provided you got a 2018 or beyond), which locks the brakes on the front wheels for up to 15 seconds allowing you to smoke your tires/do a burn out. Missed opportunity OP, coulda had some fun with a car that wasn't even yours.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
American automakers love trying to put underpowered engines in heavy-assed sedans for some reason.
They sell great to Joe F-150, with the shortbed and his wife. Basically people who don't know automobiles but pretend to. My favorite example is the Ford Escape, it used to be built as a truck that looks like an suv. Now its sold with an underpowered engine, a motor that dies after a few years, and a muffler that gets loud when it snows.

Brand loyalty to cars is such a weird thing to me. Mega corporations that screwed tax payers and cut corners to save money without concern for safety.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Lighter cars are the better cars. Especially with emissions requirements getting higher

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Pentastar shines on a heavier car: Grand Cherokee with 8 speed transmission. It's great for 99% of people, and can do 6200 lbs of towing with the factory towing gear installed.

The 300 sucks ass.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I do not understand anything in that paragraph.
I drive a hybrid and it is real slow to speed up and I love it.

Space Acorn

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I've never had a car over the 200 HP mark. I'm sure it would be nice, but I can't really say I've felt anything lacking. But then, for me cars are mostly just to get me from place to place, though I do enjoy driving.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
OP, did you have the car in ECO mode?

Because I don't think you changed it to Sport mode.

So it's on you if you didn't.

BAW

Oct 27, 2017
That engine should have more than enough output to move the car briskly, unless it's not making the horsepower Chrysler claims for some reason.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I drive a hybrid and it is real slow to speed up and I love it.

I have a Camry hybrid and if I turn off Eco mode it isn't terrible. It isn't our Model 3, but it is drivable vs Eco mode. We never saw an increase in MPG in Eco mode, once you are up to speed the hybrid technology takes over and gives you the mileage boost. Eco was basically marketing and making the car accelerate slow.

OP
OP
Veliladon

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite example is the Ford Escape, it used to be built as a truck that looks like an suv. Now its sold with an underpowered engine, a motor that dies after a few years, and a muffler that gets loud when it snows.

Towing 3500lbs with that little 2L's turbo constantly spooling. How those engines last out their warranty periods is beyond me.

I've never had a car over the 200 HP mark. I'm sure it would be nice, but I can't really say I've felt anything lacking. But then, for me cars are mostly just to get me from place to place, though I do enjoy driving.

200HP is fine. I used to drive a GT86 that was 200HP. It was one of the most fun cars I've ever driven.

OP, did you have the car in ECO mode?

Because I don't think you changed it to Sport mode.

So it's on you if you didn't.

I turned the shifter knob to S.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
We just got a 2019 camaro as a surprise 'upgrade' on a rental and it's weak AF. I think my stock civic is faster fr

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have a Camry hybrid and if I turn off Eco mode it isn't terrible. It isn't our Model 3, but it is drivable vs Eco mode. We never saw an increase in MPG in Eco mode, once you are up to speed the hybrid technology takes over and gives you the mileage boost. Eco was basically marketing and making the car accelerate slow.
Mine's a Prius C (the small one) and I'm pretty sure the eco mode on mine just changes up the dynamics (I am not sure if this is the right word) on the acceleration with the pedal. If I floor it I go the same speed with it on or off.

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised rental companies even have these anymore. I can't remember the last I got a rental car with a Detroit badge. Might have been a Mustang convertible 8 years ago.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Mine's a Prius C (the small one) and I'm pretty sure the eco mode on mine just changes up the dynamics (I am not sure if this is the right word) on the acceleration with the pedal. If I floor it I go the same speed with it on or off.

That is how Toyota Eco works. You always have the horsepower, Eco just makes you push the pedal to the floor. That was annoying to us so we learned to drive with it off and still get 40 mpg.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
The platform hasn't changed much since Chrysler's Daimler-owned days.

With that said, I've always found them very comfortable. It's a full size car. For people who want more power, you can get a V8. It's a lot of car for the money.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
It was a RWD so that seems kind of irregular. It was P-R-N-D-S.
Sports mode is a setting for the computer. You have to press a mode button, and you'll get a racing flag on the dashboard.

That S is for Shifter, AKA semi manual. You left the damn car in first gear then lmao. You move something up and down to move gears.

You probably saw the gear number pop up on the dashboard.

Welcome to expensive automatic transmissions with manual shifting. I wonder if it even had the paddles on the sides of the steering wheel.

OP
OP
Veliladon

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
It was still upshifting once it finally hit redline though. It was just really slow getting there.

Oct 25, 2017
They just stopped caring that's what happened.
The current 300 model is nearly 10 years old and is based on the chassis hasn't changed much from the previous model that came out in 2004.
That thing should have been replaced with a completely new design a long time ago but Chrysler doesn't bother because Americans mostly buy SUVs and trucks anyway.
Ford tried harder by trying to bring more modern compact car designs over from Europe to America but nobody bought them either.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
vehicles-ats-sedan-gallery-interior-03-l-m.jpg

What you had to do was press was that MODE button for Sport mode. Lol.

The ± is for the manual shifting in semi manual mode

Last edited:

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I mean, it shouldn't be surprising that the V6 in the 300 isn't exactly sports car material. Just think of how slow they were with Chryslers worst engine ever, the 2.7L V6 that made less than 200hp.

Not getting a 300/charger/challenger with the V8 is a mistake anyway. But it was a rental car so it really doesn't matter how fast it is.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
They just stopped caring that's what happened.
The current 300 model is nearly 10 years old and is based on the chassis hasn't changed much from the previous model that came out in 2004.
That thing should have been replaced with a completely new design a long time ago but Chrysler doesn't bother because Americans mostly buy SUVs and trucks anyway.
Ford tried harder by trying to bring more modern compact car designs over from Europe to America but nobody bought them either.

I mean, it shouldn't be surprising that the V6 in the 300 isn't exactly sports car material. Just think of how slow they were with the Chryslers worst engine ever, the 2.7L V6 that made less than 200hp.

Not getting a 300/charger/challenger with the V8 is a mistake anyway.

Nah, it's just OP not reading the manual.

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Sports mode is a setting for the computer. You have to press a mode button, and you'll get a racing flag on the dashboard.

That S is for Shifter, AKA semi manual. You left the damn car in first gear then lmao. You move something up and down to move gears.

You probably saw the gear number pop up on the dashboard.

Welcome to expensive automatic transmissions with manual shifting. I wonder if it even had the paddles on the sides of the steering wheel.
S is for Sport in this case, more aggressive shifting for more power and if you use the paddles it will stay in semi-auto mode as opposed to auto switching back to full automatic in a little bit like in Drive mode

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
vehicles-ats-sedan-gallery-interior-03-l-m.jpg

What you had to do was press was that MODE button for Sport mode. Lol.

The ± is for the manual shifting in semi manual mode
That looks like an ATS, OPs rental car would have had a dial and paddle shifters like this most likely.
2019_chrysler_300_s_interior-2.jpg.image.2880.jpg

Not sure where the mode button is.

Edit: found it. To the left of the hazard button
2019-chrysler-300-interior-300c.jpg.image.1440.jpg

Last edited:

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
S is for Sport in this case, more aggressive shifting for more power and if you use the paddles it will stay in semi-auto mode as opposed to auto switching back to full automatic in a little bit like in Drive mode
He moved the shifter. Did not press the Mode button.

That looks like an ATS, OPs rental car would have had a dial and paddle shifters like this most likely.
Yeah I got confused and put ATS. S for Semi auto/manual. Not Sport mode.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
The button is there. Unless you press it, it stays in ECO/Tour mode.

OP described how the Pentastar behaves in semi manual mode, which has to be operated with the paddles.

You need to press the Sports button and leave it in Drive. In S, the car expects you to shift. In sports mode it never redlines when in Drive.

The computer was upshifting to protect the engine and transmission from OP not shifting with the paddles.

Sport mode is not just acceleration, so that is why you have Sport mode fully automatic and semi automatic.

Last edited:

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah we were given a 300 for a rental car and it was just okay.

I'd hate having to practically fall out of the car to close the door every time I got in though.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Can someone translate this for us normies

Ask and ye shall receive.

"I obtained a particular unit in a lease capacity for the period of four Earth rotations. It was an additional twenty greenbacks to uprise from moderate to royal so, you recognize...

OYWwnT7.gif

Was anticipating a Cadillac ATS (translator's note: Adult Thumb Sucking) but you perceive, charters, you receive "or commensurate". Whatsoever, I able to detect
what I am withheld from in the domiciliary exchange juxtaposed to my common LAKE derived vehicles.

Embark onto the thoroughfare on incline, ground the gavel a modicum in the vicinity of 56.33 kph and despite an 8 pace communication calcitrating subjacent as distant as it will persist, that 3.6 satanic symbol is simply sputtering and defying burgeoning uprisings like the colonies nigh 1775. That destitute petite V6 attempting to maneuver 1814.369 kg of Colonial swine steel was simply etiolated. My bride's E90 age 328xi can in some measure deliver when one puts the mallet earthward for conglomerating into logjam and it is deficient 600cc o'er the 300.

What occurred, New England? What the devil transpired?"