• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, finally found it. And yes, I was wrong. S in shifter is a sport mode.

2:09 goes into the difference between the shifter and the button.

So S in shifter is not the full sport mode :/

If you disable traction control in sport mode you get the track mode.

Oct 28, 2017
That's why I don't like new(er) cars. I drive a Grand Marquis and it floats on the road but it still has a 4.6 v8 that aint no punk. I drove my homies Lexus the other day and it just feels like a slug. Even when I rent cars for trips, the power might be there but the steering and ride lack comfort..

Im about to but a 1983 Cadiilac Coupe Deville.

TKM

Oct 28, 2017
300 is kind of a barge, but even the 3.6 could be brisk. Rental companies put the crappiest tires on them though, knowing how much abuse customers put the cars through. I wouldn't be be surprised if you had some lower end Chinese made Westlake or Linglong tires.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I don't like new(er) cars. I drive a Grand Marquis and it floats on the road but it still has a 4.6 v8 that aint no punk. I drove my homies Lexus the other day and it just feels like a slug. Even when I rent cars for trips, the power might be there but the steering and ride lack comfort..

Im about to but a 1983 Cadiilac Coupe Deville.
Isn't the 4.1L V8 in early 80s Cadillacs not so great in terms of reliability? I used to have an 86 Fleetwood Brougham with a 5L Oldsmobile V8 that was a good engine. Slow, of course, but smooth.

Jie Li

Alt account
Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Because mid sized suv milage has gotten closer to sedans. Why sit low when you can sit up high?

Oct 27, 2017
Ask and ye shall receive.

"I obtained a particular unit in a lease capacity for the period of four Earth rotations. It was an additional twenty greenbacks to uprise from moderate to royal so, you recognize...

OYWwnT7.gif

Was anticipating a Cadillac ATS (translator's note: Adult Thumb Sucking) but you perceive, charters, you receive "or commensurate". Whatsoever, I able to detect
what I am withheld from in the domiciliary exchange juxtaposed to my common LAKE derived vehicles.

Embark onto the thoroughfare on incline, ground the gavel a modicum in the vicinity of 56.33 kph and despite an 8 pace communication calcitrating subjacent as distant as it will persist, that 3.6 satanic symbol is simply sputtering and defying burgeoning uprisings like the colonies nigh 1775. That destitute petite V6 attempting to maneuver 1814.369 kg of Colonial swine steel was simply etiolated. My bride's E90 age 328xi can in some measure deliver when one puts the mallet earthward for conglomerating into logjam and it is deficient 600cc o'er the 300.

What occurred, New England? What the devil transpired?"

Brilliant! Colonial swine steel.

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think Chrysler need you to run damage control for them for free... They can afford to pay for it

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I'm convinced that certain American brands target the rental industry first then focus on actual consumers later.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
We just got a 2019 camaro as a surprise 'upgrade' on a rental and it's weak AF. I think my stock civic is faster fr
this is a lie? This is a lie. (Unless a stock Type R, but then saying "stock" is kind of misleading).

I have driven both recently, last 3 or so years and the V6 camaro was actually surprisingly spry. Sure, the cars have gotten heavier in the past 20 years, but the v6 at 300-335 hp is quite quick.

to address the stock 300, they are definitely boats, but that is what they are kind of supposed to be. They are supposed to be comfortable, no surprises and able to get yoy, a bunch of people and luggage where you need to get to reasonably comfortably, even with 4-5 people in the car. See the Lincoln town car and ford crown victoria. Those were underpowered, detuned V8's in a luxury full size sedan, but that is what people wanted. Bigger engines didn't typically only mean more speed, they meant a smoother ride as well. Now, I think a 4 or 6 cylinder mated with a decent transmission can be pretty smooth, but that wasn't the case even 10 years ago when 4 and 6 speeds were the common transmission. Now we have moved into 8, 10 speed automatic that can smooth out a smaller engine. There are a lot of people that equate a big car with a v6 or v8 as having a smoother more comfortable ride from that past experience.

Sure, a v6 Lexus, Audi, etc. is going to be much better as far as performance and feel than the 300, but those are typically at a higher price point.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah we were given a 300 for a rental car and it was just okay.

I'd hate having to practically fall out of the car to close the door every time I got in though.
Oh man! The context for this statement. The older generation love these wide angle opening doors. I believe that notion stems from a place of "wider opening doors mean luxury". By having tight doors, people equated that to a compact base model, cramped and uncomfortable car.

Definitely not saying I love the wide doors because they are actually kind of annoying in parking lots, garages, etc., but I think that's where the sentiment came from.D

Kind of going off my last post that a V-type engine meant luxury, I usually look at the history surrounding that facet and is typically clear why something existed or happened. Even it's not a particularly good reason, there is still a reason for it. And the companies just cater to their consumers.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got a Ford fusion as a rental when I got in a car accident. Thing handled like a boat on wheels and hesitated when accelerating on the highway. Violent jerk as it switched gears. Awful car.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I had one of these as a rental for four days. It was an extra $20 to go from Midsize to Luxury so, you know...

giphy.gif

Was expecting a Caddy ATS but you know, rentals, you get "or equivalent". Whatever, I can see what I'm missing out on in the domestic market compared to my usual SEA sourced cars. Get onto the highway on ramp, drop the hammer a little at 35mph and even with an 8 speed transmission kicking down as far as it will go, that 3.6 Pentastar is just wheezing and resisting rising revolutions like Tiananmen Square circa 1989. That poor little V6 trying to move 4,000lbs of American pig iron was just anemic. My wife's E90 era 328xi can at least bring it when one puts the hammer down for merging into traffic and it's missing 600cc over the 300.

What happened, America? What the hell happened?
It's heavy. The V8 hemi provides the performance you're looking for.

The V6 option has ecoboost, allowing you to save gas. It may run better with that turned off.

But yeah, Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep suck. I say this as a Dodge Challenger R/T owner. I love my car but hate it's manufacturer.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Anytime I see a story about sedans getting nixed I think of that Nissan Sentra we rented one time. That was the worst engine I've ever experienced. Pedal to the floor and it felt like it was just considering maybe trying to go faster. The ECU at highway speeds would sometimes decide it needed to do pushups and would jump between like 1500 and 4000 RPM and back several times. The CVT is just total garbage.

They sell great to Joe F-150, with the shortbed and his wife. Basically people who don't know automobiles but pretend to. My favorite example is the Ford Escape, it used to be built as a truck that looks like an suv. Now its sold with an underpowered engine, a motor that dies after a few years, and a muffler that gets loud when it snows.

Brand loyalty to cars is such a weird thing to me. Mega corporations that screwed tax payers and cut corners to save money without concern for safety.

My personal hatred is directed at the EcoSport. Ford killed the Fiesta and Focus (and their ST/RS varieties) and puts out what is basically a taller shittier fiesta - https://jalopnik.com/the-2018-ford-ecosport-titanium-is-a-good-reminder-that-1829502953

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
To be fair, that's a 3.6. The 5.7 would've felt better but we've always had a habit of bolting too much car on to too little engine.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My shitty 4 pot 2 liter turbo does 0-60 in 5.3 and eats highways and gives great gas mileage and is dead silent inside and has an nVidia GPU. My dull sedan is faster and handles better than an early Countach. That's weird to me as an old man.

Tlaloc

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Semi manual, not fully manual, the computer will protect the car and transmission.

Yeah, you had it in semi manual mode. LMAO
It's too bad he didn't kill the tranny, would have made for a better story. I rented a decked out 2019 Grand Cherokee this summer and fell in love with it. The acceleration was great, the handling was great just an all around excellent vehicle. The only thing the model I had lacked was 4 wheel drive. Also rented a Nissan Frontier a few weeks ago fun little truck but steering was tight and the v6 was a little underwhelming.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 3.6 pentastar is actually relatively brisk if you look at the numbers. It may not feel particularly fast because yeah, it's a 4000lb brick so you don't really get that butt feel. But a 0-60 in the 7ish range isn't terrible given the size of the car.

I have that same engine in an even heavier jeep grand Cherokee. With a drop in dry aem filter and a 93 tune running 93 or even better e85, it does around 7. That is not bad at all for a near 5000lb SUV.

If you need a sub 6 0-60 in a 4 to 5000lb car you pretty much need a v8 or a twin turbo v6.

It's just kind of the reality.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I think some of y'all don't seem to understand that the fact the car weighs 4-5000lbs is a big part of how it feels.

Like obviously a full sized sedan or SUV is going to have a very different feel than a compact.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My shitty 4 pot 2 liter turbo does 0-60 in 5.3 and eats highways and gives great gas mileage and is dead silent inside and has an nVidia GPU. My dull sedan is faster and handles better than an early Countach. That's weird to me as an old man.

I don't know where a 2.0 turbo car is considered shitty.

What's the car you have? VW?

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean compared to a V6 or V8 big displacement (regardless of how hemi its cylinders are) and I'm comparing it to a 1970s v12 which is even more ridiculous. A4.

I don't exactly think an A4 is considered a dull vehicle. It's a luxury sport sedan with a starting sticker like $10k higher than the base 300.

The 3.6 in the 300 does a 6.3 0-60.

That's really not bad given how large of a car it is. An if you want it faster there's a v8 option.

So really imo this thread is kind of a bad take.

Last edited:

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
I dunno why you wold

LOL at how many posts you wrote loling at OP when you were wrong the whole time

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't exactly think an A4 is considered a dull vehicle. It's a luxury sport sedan with a starting sticker like $10k higher than the base 300.

The 3.6 in the 300 does a 6.3 0-60.

That's really not bad given how large of a car it is. An if you want it faster there's a v8 option.

So really imo this thread is kind of a bad take.

I actually like the 300. I drive like an old person anyway and every time I have gotten a 300 rental, it's been specced better than the typical lot-rot - it's big, comfortable and the trunk is sound-proof, leak-resistant, odor-proof and you can easily snip off the internal emergency escape cable. Besides, when they get weak enough they really stop fussing around in there.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So, the problem was with the driver all along.

I have a 300 S and love it. The engine is more than adequate. The most comfortable car I have ever been in, and anyone that has ever been in it with me agrees.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I actually like the 300. I drive like an old person anyway and every time I have gotten a 300 rental, it's been specced better than the typical lot-rot - it's big, comfortable and the trunk is sound-proof, leak-resistant, odor-proof and you can easily snip off the internal emergency escape cable. Besides, when they get weak enough they really stop fussing around in there.
thread is going places now

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean literally every non turbo 4 cyclinder is also inadequate if your standard is a sub 6 second 0-60.

Like it's actually crazy that a sub 7 second 0-60 time is now actually pretty normal.

That's more than adequate and not "underpowered."

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah that's the main problem with SUVs, no sealed off trunk.