• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
My aunt has a 2013 300C (with the 5.7L Hemi). It has great acceleration and is a wonderful ride. She had the non-Pentastar V6 300 years ago and it was anemic, but I've heard great things about the Pentastar.

The Sport mode on hers is actually accessed through the Touchscreen that handles audio and climate, believe it or not. She has a traditional shifter though, so they might have put it on the disk or in the dash computer on newer models. I dunno.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like to buy from brands with proven long term reliability, that's why.

Well there's some interesting news for you, based on long term testing, data and stats. The landscape for reliability has shifted seismically over the last couple of decades - in part due to the hypercomplexity of modern cars and variability in where and how they're manufactured, but also through sheer competition.

Reliability
Winner: Hyundai

Hyundai vehicles are more reliable than Honda's, with every vehicle from the Korean automaker earning at least a 3.5 out of five predicted reliability rating from U.S. News. In contrast, Honda has three autos, the 2018 Civic, 2018 HR-V, and 2018 CR-V, that have received a 3.0 out of five rating. Both automakers have two vehicles (2018 Honda Accord and Accord Hybrid, and 2018 Hyundai Elantra and Tucson) that have achieved a 4.0 out of five predicted reliability rating.

Most Honda vehicles come with a three-year/36,000-mile basic warranty and a five-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty. These numbers are average for the industry. The Honda Accord Hybrid is backed by an additional eight-year/100,000-mile or 10-year/150,000-mile warranty for hybrid components, depending on state regulations. Honda Clarity fuel cell components come with an eight-year/100,000-mile warranty.

Hyundai guarantees their vehicles longer, offering a five-year/60,000-mile basic warranty and a 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty across the board. The 2018 Ioniq also comes with a lifetime warranty for its battery.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Well there's some interesting news for you, based on long term testing, data and stats. The landscape for reliability has shifted seismically over the last couple of decades - in part due to the hypercomplexity of modern cars and variability in where and how they're manufactured, but also through sheer competition.

By long term I meant like 10-15+ years of making good cars. They may be good cars now, but models 10-15 years ago werent, where as a 15 year old honda is a good car.

Just because they have a better warranty also doesnt mean theyre more reliable.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By long term I meant like 10-15+ years of making good cars. They may be good cars now, but models 10-15 years ago werent, where as a 15 year old honda is a good car.

Just because they have a better warranty also doesnt mean theyre more reliable.

Yes but their long term reliability numbers have been improving consistently for a couple of decades and these numbers reflect that - and warranties can reflect confidence in the underlying product but are practically useful for owners. Given the huge difference in materials, engineering and technology today vs 20 years ago you're really talking about legacy reputation rather than current, meaningful data - which is what I presented. There are other ratings from other methodologies showing almost identical trends. The point isn't that Honda or Toyota have fallen but that their competitors have improved.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Yes but their long term reliability numbers have been improving consistently for a couple of decades and these numbers reflect that - and warranties can reflect confidence in the underlying product but are practically useful for owners. Given the huge difference in materials, engineering and technology today vs 20 years ago you're really talking about legacy reputation rather than current, meaningful data - which is what I presented. There are other ratings from other methodologies showing almost identical trends. The point isn't that Honda or Toyota have fallen but that their competitors have improved.

While I agree, I still dont think Korean cars in general are proven. They keep getting better, but theyve been good for a short time that we dont even know how these better cars will hold up in 10 years time.

The quote you posted was comparing 2018 models which isnt really long term at all. A 2018 Nissan could be reliable for the first couple years, but its pretty well known that the cvt transmission will probably blow up before 100k miles.

Though I'll also say I don't know how the average car buyer thinks because the average person doesn't know anything about cars. They probably do just care about the warranty length and what features it has.

Last edited:

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
The Pentastar 3.6L V6 is a one size fits all engine made to haul your extended family to cracker barrel
My personal hatred is directed at the EcoSport. Ford killed the Fiesta and Focus (and their ST/RS varieties) and puts out what is basically a taller shittier fiesta - https://jalopnik.com/the-2018-ford-ecosport-titanium-is-a-good-reminder-that-1829502953
The EcoSport is Ford realizing they need some sort of fleet average MPG buffer since the hybrid escape and F-150 aren't ready yet, so they brought a legit small SUV made for driving on the worst dirt roads ever to the US. Interesting, but a very uncommon niche other than something to label a small crossover in the USA.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
300 use to be my favorite car growing up, the question mark is there now in today's climate regards (hybrid, excitement etc.) that said no one wants a bad MPG car.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to buy American, go with GM. Their models are consistently rated highly by consumer reports.

The new Camaros can compete with BMW and Porche on the track easily. Buick makes some great handling family sedans.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do kind of think Jeep and Ram are the only brands FCA has that are worth a shit though so it makes sense they would kill Dodge and Chrysler.

The cheaper jeeps are also shit but the Wrangler and grand Cherokee are nice.

Apparently the new JL is like super unsafe though crash test wise which is odd as the JK wasn't as bad (still not great).

Basically wranger = you actually need serious off road capability because you live somewhere ridiculous and only have crazy ass service roads or something. Or just for fun if you're really into 4x4ing.

Otherwise the GC is far safer and drives much nicer. It's on a Benz ML350 platform. It feels nice. And still has decent off-road chops as long as you're not like trying to do legit rock crawling.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
new Camaros are butt ugly though
Add to that, the Mustang is better looking, performing, lighter, faster, more nimble and has more features... Both in tech and performance tracking.

Granted I haven't driven the new Camaro, but that's been the case for a few gens now. But as you said the new Camaro is ugly as shit. So even if they improved everything else to Mustang levels, I'd never be able to get over that.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
The Camaro is a better track car. Or at least it was prior to this latest refresh of both cars(so circa 2015-2017 model years). I liked this gen of Camaro after not really liking the fifth gen, but these new ones just don't look good.

Really wish GM had been able to keep Pontiac around to build a Firebird Trans Am alongside the Camaro, I would've bought one. Always liked the Trans Am more than the Camaro.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
The issues with the Focus's transmission piss me off so much. The cars are just so much fun to drive.

I had a 13 Titanium and loved driving it, but I couldn't trust it due to the transmission.

My fiancee has a 17 Focus and it's just as fun.

I have a 14 Fiesta and the transmission died. Got it replaced under warranty with the improved one and it's an absolute blast. Lovely chassis for a shitbox

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
I hope I get a Caddy for my vacation in Oct, I used my accrued free days for the Luxury class as that was the highest I could go for free days (I could have gone Sport class but ehhh, I want to ride in comfort). If they don't have a Caddy or better I'll see what they have in the Executive isle- I've gotten some damn nice rides there, the best being a F-150 King Ranch (only Ford I've driven that I liked) and a fully loaded Grand Cherokee (which surprised me how much I enjoyed it tbh). I've had too many Dodge trucks as of late, not a fan. Wouldn't really be happy with a 300 me thinks.

I spend more time in rentals than in my personal vehicles. Usually need a truck to haul/tow. Really, that King Ranch was the nicest truck I've ever driven, puts regular F-150's to shame. Still love my Ridgeline though, it takes a minute to adjust after driving some V8 monster for 3-4 weeks heh. Wasn't a fan of the Tacoma I rented, glad we went with the Ridgeline when we were looking at mid-size pick-ups.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
Trying real hard to decipher the meaning of OPs post.
But I'm gonna be real here- I don't know SHIT about cars so-

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like some people in this thread don't know that different trim levels exist with different engine options. Op rented a mid size sedan and wanted to go fast? Should have asked them for the srt8 300 then. And no, your stock Civic isn't faster than a camaro. Not even the 4cyl camaro :|

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like some people in this thread don't know that different trim levels exist with different engine options. Op rented a mid size sedan and wanted to go fast? Should have asked them for the srt8 300 then. And no, your stock Civic isn't faster than a camaro. Not even the 4cyl camaro :|

I mean a 19 300 base is 6.3 sec car and it's pretty easy to get that under 6 with a cheap Diablo tune and an intake. It's not exactly slow given how heavy it is and it's just a v6.

The main problem honestly with the pentastars is honestly just throttle response (fixed with a tune), but if you floor it they go pretty good.