• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Deepthought_

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
No. I would believe in God in the sense I 'believe' in a round earth, ie that it's a physical fact, but I largely live a pretty ethical life without relying on the fear of punishment to motivate me to do so.

Also calling yourself deep thought is an insult to Douglas Adams.

I had to google who Douglas Adams was and nothing about deep thought came up but I did like the movie Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy

Edit oh it was the computer I like the movie but I never read the book

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
OP's got it twisted. Atheists aren't the ones who are notoriously stubborn about changing their minds when presented with compelling evidence.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
what do you mean by "start following him"? worship? I don't see why the existence of a god would chance anything about my life or why I should change it.
So no, I would not follow him. I would acknowledge its existence and move on with my life.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The better question would be even if gods exist why should we worship them? And if they were to accountable for the mess that is world is in and refuse to do anything to improve things then we need to build some anti-god devices and go JRPG on them.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
what do you mean by "start following him"? worship? I don't see why the existence of a god would chance anything about my life or why I should change it.
So no, I would not follow him. I would acknowledge its existence and move on with my life.
Yeah I have to say I'm not the kind of guy to get on my knees for anyone. I mean unless he's 165 lbs of lean muscle.

If the Christian god did exist, I think I'd send him a sternly worded letter about giving good people lifelong depression or bone cancer while people like Donald J. Trump Jr. can grin chinlessly while holding a severed elephant's tail for a tasteless picture and then go back to a life of fabulous wealth and privilege.

Last edited:

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean unless he's 165 lbs of lean muscle.
15.jpg

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm insinuating that you're defending the bible's approval of slavery, because that's exactly what you're doing. I literally asked about your "POV" regarding that, because fuck no I don't understand it.

My feelings regarding Christians aren't relevant to this thread, but since you asked, I don't blame them for believing as they do since it's super easy to get duped into it in this country. I was myself for many years. However, they're still supporting and normalizing an institution that actively damages our country and our species. I'm not a big fan of that, no.

I don't think the Bible approves of slavery. I wish I can defend it better. But I don't interpret it as approving it. Call me an idiot or whatever, but that's how I see it.

I also don't appreciate you calling me a slavery supporter either. It's ridiculous that we can get to name-calling. Sad thing, is we probably agree on a majority of issues.

I don't think people who get into religion are "duped". That's kinda discriminatory. Do you think all Jews or Muslims are duped as well?

Nov 1, 2017
Even if he proved his existance he would still be a massive asshole. His best feature is that he doesn't actually exist, cause he's such a horrble, evil, vindictive prick that no one should follow.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Of fucking course.

Atheists aren't Atheists simply because they refuse to 'believe' in God, proof would be at least considered by most sane people. Atheism isn't a religion

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a lot of argument here.

I think the best way to settle this is to make a deal. Given proof of god, atheists will bow down and worship it as suggested. In return, religious people will now stop worshipping their god until that proof is provided.

Agreed? Good. I think that should sort a few things out.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
If God proved himself to exist to me I'd obviously stop being an atheist, but if it would turn out that he's also the homophobic, sadistic dictator that some Christians make him out to be he wouldn't be worth worshipping anyhow.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the Bible approves of slavery. I wish I can defend it better. But I don't interpret it as approving it. Call me an idiot or whatever, but that's how I see it.

I also don't appreciate you calling me a slavery supporter either. It's ridiculous that we can get to name-calling. Sad thing, is we probably agree on a majority of issues.
I never called you a slavery supporter. I jokingly took what you were saying about the bible and applied it to yourself, with the idea of jarring you into realizing what you were actually saying. Which was this:
You're right that it doesn't directly condemn it. But it does emphasize heavily on treating people with love no matter how they treat you. From that you can draw that you should not treat your slave poorly.
- doesn't directly condemn slavery
- emphasizes heavily on treating people with love
- including your slaves, an institution in doesn't directly condemn
- though it does outline many rules for it, so it doesn't even indirectly condemn it either

i.e. it's approving of that institution. This isn't debatable. The bible unequivocally condones slavery, as has been pointed out to you in numerous other posts that you've ignored.

No one is name calling here. But you said what you said. If you stand by it, accept that people are going to read between the lines regarding your character.

I don't think people who get into religion are "duped". That's kinda discriminatory. Do you think all Jews or Muslims are duped as well?
Of course I do. They all worship the same god. All three religions are just different flavors of the same poison.

Saying they were duped isn't "discriminatory" either. Religion isn't something you are, it's something you choose to believe. Unlike your sexuality, it's something you can change at any time. I was duped into the shit myself, it's not an insult.

To follow an organized religion you have to blindly accept what cannot be proven. That's generally not something that rational, intelligent people do. Since there are rational, intelligent people who are religious, I conclude that most of them were duped into it. Just like I was at one point.

I think the best way to settle this is to make a deal. Given proof of god, atheists will bow down and worship it as suggested. In return, religious people will now stop worshipping their god until that proof is provided.

Sounds fair to me!

Last edited:

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Works for me.

Cwyll

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Ask him what the dinosaurs did to piss him off and get written out of the story; then do that...

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ

Yep, we're done here

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really think sometimes if he just did something to prove his existence in today's world there would be a lot happy but just as much angry people

It'd be more worrying than anything.

"The invisible, omniscient and all-powerful space wizard is real, you say...? He can read our minds as clearly one can read our web history, you say...? Well... t-that's great!"

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
To follow an organized religion you have to blindly accept what cannot be proven. That's generally not something that rational, intelligent people do. Since there are rational, intelligent people who are religious, I concluded that most of them must have been duped into it. Just like I was at one point.

You're actually supposed to doubt or challenge what you read or hear.

It feels insulting because it implies only fools have a religion.

Anyways my general understanding is that I get why you don't like it. Christians attack a lot of people. They do terrible things. People are manipulated. A lot of it could sound wrong or stupid with a different mindset.

I think of this more as a people problem than religion. People don't like what they don't understand, fear things that are different from them, dislike change. With or without religion people will still attack LGBTQ rights, women's rights, climate change, etc. Christianity gives them something to hide behind. I don't think it is destroying our institutions. I feel if people were more understanding, empathetic and open-minded we would all get along better through compromise. Christians can obviously suck at this, but so does everyone else.

Nov 30, 2017
If you won't walk up to some guy with a gun, flip him off and chew him out right now, you aren't doing the same to god.

White people do this with regularity to the police, so this isn't the hard barrier you assumed it was.

That being said, if God was real, I'd had zero reason to follow him as God would be an amoral at best, most likely immoral being, therefore hard pass.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I'll say I wouldn't follow him as he would clearly be either an incompetent god or an evil one given the state of the world.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, because according the divine plan everything that happens is gods will.

Odd that about divine will, if humans are supposed to have free will, that means god is not executing any divine will with human interactions. Thus if divine will does intervene in human interactions, we are not actually subject to free will and are just following along to our final destination regardless of our intentions.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're actually supposed to doubt or challenge what you read or hear.
...and if more religious people actually did that, there would be way less religious people.

It feels insulting because it implies only fools have a religion.
Well, I didn't mean it as a compliment... but it's not saying that only fools have a religion. I explicitly said that it was super easy to get duped into it in this country. Most of us were born into it, we never even had a chance to second guess it until we grew up, and at that point the familial pressure to not rock the boat can be heavy. Again, super easy to get duped into it in this country. It's a tough cycle to get out of.

Anyways my general understanding is that I get why you don't like it. Christians attack a lot of people. They do terrible things. People are manipulated. A lot of it could sound wrong or stupid with a different mindset.

I think of this more as a people problem than religion. People don't like what they don't understand, fear things that are different from them, dislike change. With or without religion people will still attack LGBTQ rights, women's rights, climate change, etc. Christianity gives them something to hide behind. I don't think it is destroying our institutions. I feel if people were more understanding, empathetic and open-minded we would all get along better through compromise. Christians can obviously suck at this, but so does everyone else.
You're engaging in whataboutism here. "What about everyone else?" Sure, we can talk about them too in their own thread. You're welcome to make it.

Thing is, that "everyone else" didn't lay the discriminatory groundwork that our nation was built upon. Christians did that, and the effects of what they did are still felt to this day. Case in point: there are currently no openly atheist members of congress. Out of those 535 elected officials, do you really think there is not a single non-believer? Of course there are. They have to hide it though, because it would be political suicide to "come out" as atheist here. That's the power of the Christian church in the United States. A country that supposedly keeps religion and government separate.

That's a problem. That's destroying our institutions. Or, at the very least, that's keeping them from progressing.

You're right that people would still attack LGBTQ rights, women's rights, and climate change without religion. There would be less of it though. Unquestionably. Many do indeed use Christianity as a shield to hide their own hateful, destructive feelings, but many others are decent folk who are simply following the word of their god.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes.
" They wouldn't believe in God anyway" is a super transparent cop out.

Why should it be hard for an all powerful being to impress a bunch of monkeys enough to believe in their existence?

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
It is indeed possible for a Creator/Godhead figure of this world allowing free will to be all loving and of the highest moral caliber. Just because endless torture and murder/rape and systemic injustices exist, that doesn't represent a 1:1 parallel to the nature of the creator of said hypothetical universe. It's a lesser of two evils kind of thing.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
If a god provably existed and said there was punishment for not doing what she said, then yeah I'd probably follow her. You don't have to agree with laws to follow them and avoid consequences.

I like this deal a lot.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe, if he can explain to me why he's such an ass, allowing little kids to die of hunger or why "heaven" is reserved to those who believe in in.

If he can do that and be convincing doing so. Maybe. Maaaaaybe.

But since it will never happen, i'm fine.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
I have read the Bible and in the biblical days when he would perform miracles and prove his existence there were still non believers.

Would any atheist on here change the way they live because he exist or would you challenge what he believes is how we are suppose to live our lives
I would know he exists, but still wouldn't believe in Christianity or Catholicism.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
I think he'd have to reveal himself with evidence about what the fuckin deal is, how does he even exist, but sure, I would.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean going by the Bible he did a lot of proving his existence from Adam and Eve all the way up to I think Israel

Maybe he just got tired of trying
So I'm supposed to believe the all loving God gave up cause it was too hard or got tired. I know you're being facetious but I'm not. Honestly, if God wanted to solve a billion different problems, he could, but he won't and no explanation will ever work because it just makes this loving god into a complete asshole.

Oct 27, 2017
I have read the Bible and in the biblical days when he would perform miracles and prove his existence there were still non believers.

Would any atheist on here change the way they live because he exist or would you challenge what he believes is how we are suppose to live our lives
If he proves himself, i will believe he exists yes.

Follow him? Probably, or else i'm going to hell right? Seems like a nice dude

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
The responses in threads like these are always amazing, because I assume most people here have played The Sims or Sim City at some point and been a truly, truly vile "God" to the CPU in those games.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
lol why is it that believers/christians always ask, "would you believe it then if god appeared before you would you change at all?", when they can't even reconcile the now - where god and jesus do not appear at all and they still don't and won't change their beliefs.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
lol why is it that believers/christians always ask, "would you believe it then if god appeared before you would you change at all?", when they can't even reconcile the now - where god and jesus do not appear at all and they still don't and won't change their beliefs.
To be fair, that's what faith is.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Technically yes, but I think of a lot of atheists would question why so much pain and suffering is allowed in the world. I wonder how other religions would react as well, whether they would embrace Jesus or blame him for their religious persecution.

In an odd way I think he might be more accepted as an abstract belief.