• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Topic.

• PG/Soft

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • R/Violent

Votes: 32 65.3%

• Total voters

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
When I was a teen, I would have told you edgy/ultra gory/horror/revenge fantasy. 100%.

Now...eh. I guess I still would, but only because it would prevent it from being a direct remake of the original film. I'm not in a big hurry to see them re-visit that property either way.

Maktokious

Nov 23, 2017
I believe the Jim Carrey version to be a perfect cartoony/soft version, and it should not be rebooted/remade.

So I vote to see a very violent version, because that is something I've always wanted to see (even though I didn't know that the comics were like that).

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
I feel like the Mask graphic novels would be interesting on the big screen in their original form. The Jim Carrey movie is fun, but The Mask (as in the graphic novels) is almost more of a horror story. It's a story of temptation and how absolute power corrupts absolutely. The Mask offers so much to its victims and then turns them into monsters against their will. It explores what would happen to someone if they got superpowers and had their moral compass eliminated at the same time. It's no wonder that there are few, if any, happy endings in this setting.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No one could live up to Carrey's version, so you'd need to try something different. Going R-rated would probably help.

But who could you possibly cast nowadays? Don't fucking say Ryan Reynolds.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
But who could you possibly cast nowadays? Don't fucking say Ryan Reynolds.

It could be just about anyone who can handle the delivery when in the Mask persona. Jim Carrey's approach to that character isn't necessarily the most appropriate one.

Also, there are several lead roles in the comics, not just one, and pretty much all of them wear the Mask at some point. Stanley Ipkiss is far from the lead in the comics and is equally far from being a good guy.

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
Nobody can top Jim Carrey in that style so a darker, more violent version it is.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It could be just about anyone who can handle the delivery when in the Mask persona. Jim Carrey's approach to that character isn't necessarily the most appropriate one.

Also, there are several lead roles in the comics, not just one, and pretty much all of them wear the Mask at some point. Stanley Ipkiss is far from the lead in the comics and is equally far from being a good guy.

Who is your ideal Stanley Ipkiss?

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
Who is your ideal Stanley Ipkiss?

I honestly have no idea. Whoever plays that role should be equally capable of playing a psychotic loser and a wisecracking murder god, and nobody springs to mind at the moment.

Edit: I'd say whoever plays Ipkiss' girlfriend and the detective investigating the Mask incidents would be more important castings. The two of them are the true protagonists of the story, not Ipkiss.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say violent, just because I can't really see anyone matching Carrey's performance, and I'd rather the lead put their own completely unique take on the character.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I guess rated-R, just for the sake of having a different take than the original.
The funny thing is, having read the original comics not too long ago (those Dark Horse omnibuses are great), the movie was actually quite faithful to them. They just substituted the violence with Tex Avery antics. But other than that, it's pretty much the exact same story beats and characters.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
I guess rated-R, just for the sake of having a different take than the original.
The funny thing is, having read the original comics not too long ago (those Dark Horse omnibuses are great), the movie was actually quite faithful to them. They just substituted the violence with Tex Avery antics. But other than that, it's pretty much the exact same story beats and characters.

Only up to a point. The movie stops being faithful to the comics once it's progressed to the point where Ipkiss would have to become a villain, choosing to instead make him into a heroic character who wins the girl and lives happily ever after. The entire point of the story (the Mask is dangerous and should be destroyed) is changed, turning the Mask into a funny gag instead.