• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What should the 6th theme be if one exists?

• SMB2 USA!!!

Votes: 215 38.7%
  • Yoshi's Island

Votes: 94 16.9%
  • Mario Land

Votes: 37 6.7%
  • Mario Odyssey's 2D sections but a full game.

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • Mario Odyssey's mechanics in 2D, want 2D Cappy!

Votes: 62 11.2%
  • Mario 64, love the blocky polygons.

Votes: 53 9.5%
  • Mario Galaxy

Votes: 87 15.7%

• Total voters

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
My personal top 3 are Yoshis Island, Mario 2 USA, and Mario Land.

Mario 64 would also be interesting to me!

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be SMB2.
But I would also not be surprised it they bring out a Sunshine theme from left field.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Galaxy would be great from a gameplay perspective but I really want Mario 64 style in there. It would be amazing - especially when it comes to music.

Both could somewhat work as a switch to 3D world I guess.

Oct 30, 2017
why is no-one voting 64! with analog running and punching and stuff on a low-poly 2.5D plane. it'd be incredible.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Hahaha what a divided opinion.

The fact that they have saved this for last indicates to me that it is not SMB2/USA. They'd have probably announced it before 3D World.

It's got to be something more surprising/exciting than 3D World.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Super paper Mario style would be my option. I guess it could be mario 2 vegetable adventure, but I doubt I'd ever use that for anything.

Of the options, I voted odyssey because cappy and controlling enemies would be a good new gimmick in 2d mario.

why is no-one voting 64! with analog running and punching and stuff on a low-poly 2.5D plane. it'd be incredible.
... What would analogue running add in a 2d space? It's not going to be a 3d game or give you an extra dimension to work with, or they'd have implemented that already with 3d world in all likelihood. Punching isn't really a new addition that can't already be done either, since there are already a number of suits that let you attack in front of you (e.g. tanuki).

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
Dang it. Why have all these options in the poll and forget the one of the most awesome new ideas for an addition in the form of a Super Mario All-Stars theme for each NES Game represented?

That just seems plain wrong. There are people who would love Super Mario All-Stars representation in Super Mario Maker 2, and I'm one of them!

Yep

Dec 14, 2017
Neither, I would say Super Mario Run, there could be really fun stages

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I remember for the first game there was talk about possibly doing a crossover theme with another series. I could easily see them doing Mario x Zelda or Mario x Metroid, or whatever. That would certainly outweigh 3D World in terms of reveal.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Voted galaxy but Yarn Yoshi/Wooly World would be really great. Having lots of HD assets from the other games should be easier as well

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy, easy. Even if we assume that they'll stay 2D, Galaxy has some very interesting gravity stuff it could bring to the table.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Thread title asks about themes but the OP is about styles.

Styles: none.
Theme: outdoor lava or lava cave

Tuna

Oct 25, 2017
Easy Super Mario 2 USA. I don't want another 3D game tile set in 2D, 3DWorld is enough. You could do some really cool shit with the SMB2 enemies. Also, TURNIPS

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
The next one from the next 2D flagship game. That's it.

None of those make sense and Mario Land, even though it touches my soul, would be so ugly!

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I chose SMB2 but I would really love SML also.
Bring back Tatanga and Wart for gods sake!
Tatanga_in_Pagosu.png
200px-Wart_Artwork_-_Super_Mario_Bros_2.png

Give me that Koitabe art style.

srBT0nH.jpg

JMikfX3.jpg

Mskzh25.jpg

7AxfxYq.jpg
Kill new super mario bros series for this new 2d mario game style, thats all I want.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of these don't seem like they'd need to be separate styles. Mario 2 is the correct choice here. Though as a skin I'd love to see one based on Mario Land 2.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
The only option is Super Mario Bros. 2.

No, not that one.

Give me The Lost Levels physics in their full glory, complete with bullshit wind.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Paper would be more visually interesting than all of them.

I'd probably take Galaxy over Odyssey in terms of interesting unique things they could do with it.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Give me that Koitabe art style.
The only way this happens is if they announce a NEW 2D Mario standalone that will utilize the style. Might be a shared reveal during E3 or even pre-E3 with their Invitational, but there's no way that happens without a standalone as well.

My vote (other than for the above that is) is SMB USA. It's the only other option I can really think of that truly offers something unique compared to what we already have in the original 4 + 3D World.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
DK'94 would be the real answer but I'll go with something that feels radically different like SMB2. Yoshi's Island feels like something that would be difficult to make look good.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Other thought, what if they did a theme that was a fusion of Mario land 1 and 2

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Odyssey with its capture mechanics. T-Rexes and all.

SMB2 would be nice for completion, but I dont think it adds as much interesting things as many of the other styles could.