• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Take Ryu out of it. Who is the second most iconic fighting game character?

• Akuma

• Chun Li

• Sub-Zero

• Scorpion

• Kyo

• Terry

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

CarbonCrush

Oct 27, 2017
How can you accept Ryu as the most iconic fighter but not also view Ken as coming in second? Ryu and Ken are practically synonymous.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Chun Li by light-years. Call me when anyone else on the list makes it in multiple Disney movies and mutliple songs named after them.
Or their own (terrible) movie.

chunli-6.jpg

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Chun Li.

Though I feel weird calling Ryu 'iconic.' He's important, sure, but I think people less into videogames would be more likely to name any other Street Fighter character ahead of Ryu (or Ken). Ryu is basically just generic karate dude.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
How can you accept Ryu as the most iconic fighter but not also view Ken as coming in second? Ryu and Ken are practically synonymous.

Yeah, I don't see how Ken's not even on the poll. How many people exist who know and recognize Ryu but not Ken? I can see the argument for Chun Li though, maybe over both.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Chun Li.

Though I feel weird calling Ryu 'iconic.' He's important, sure, but I think people less into videogames would be more likely to name any other Street Fighter character ahead of Ryu (or Ken). Ryu is basically just generic karate dude.
He's still the most popular Street Fighter character.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Sub-Zero/Scorpion is absolutely the wrong answer.

The right answer is Chun-Li. The only reason is because Sub/Scorp were never after Ryu to begin with. They are ahead of him. Checkmate.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Eddy Gordo
M Bison
Blanca
Jin Kazama

Scorpion is known for certain generation, other than that, not so much.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nowadays it's easily Scorpion.
Y'all need to get over the 90s and move on.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I knew about a Chun-Li long before I knew much about Street Fighter or who Ryu was as a kid.

Oct 25, 2017
It's YOSHIMITSU!
It's not Yoshimitsu he's just my favorite.

It's Chun-Li because even my SO and a middle aged woman at work both know who Chun-Li is. My lady has never even played a street fighter in her life but she still knows Chun-Li. As we know, my anecdotal evidence is infallible.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
as someone who's not really into fighting games and on a pure recognizability level, it's Scorpion. Most people probably wouldn't know his name but they'd know what he's from. Raiden too. Chun Li is very high up there too, though.

If it's not recognizability but more "this is a fighting game character distilled to the barest, most iconic elements" then it's Terry.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Voted on Scorpion, but pretty shocked that Sub-Zero is so behind in the poll. Back then Sub-Zero and Scorpion were kinda 50-50 in terms of popularity.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I'd say Chun-Li.
She's far more ingrained into pop culture than Scorpion. Helped by the fact that her game was not super gory R rated and the fact that she's kept her iconic costume the same in 99% of every game she's ever appeared in, vs Scorpion who's basically just a yellow Ninja, who has a new costume in basically every single game.

KcebAnier

Oct 29, 2017
This is a pretty impossible question to answer. It's so dramatically different across audiences and regions. Still blows my mind that Scorpion has somehow become more famous than Sub-Zero. Sub-zero was definitely the more recognizable character through the early 2000s. Probably has something to do with NetherRealm repeatedly changing his design.

Honestly, if you take Avid Fighting game players out of the mix, Ryu probably isn't even the most iconic character. Street Fighter is not really as mainstream a franchise as Mortal Kombat.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
Chun li by a mile. There are Chun cosplayers all around the world. She is the most if not one of the most recognizable female characters yet alone fighting games.