• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Take Ryu out of it. Who is the second most iconic fighting game character?

• Akuma

• Chun Li

• Sub-Zero

• Scorpion

• Kyo

• Terry

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Banshee

Oct 27, 2017
Missouri
As someone that hasn't really touched fighting games, I don't think I could even pick Ryu out of a lineup. Chun-Li I'd come closer to knowing, for whatever reason.

Scorpion, followed by Sub-Zero are my vote for this, though.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Ken is the only character besides Ryu to be in every SF game. Not even Scorpion was in every MK

He should be on the poll. Dude made it into Smash Bros

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Ryu and Ken are basically at the same level. I don't think i've ever met anyone who knows Ryu but not Ken.
Same thing with Scorpion and Subzero.

That said its probably Chun Li and then Scorp/Subzero. Its really close though , I feel like if you know one you know em all.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
MK11 is still the best selling game as of last month for 2019. Is there a breakdown on where it sold?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My boy Ken of course. maybe Scorpion.

And Sub-zero and Scorpion seem to be models after Ryu/Ken as well, any confirmation on that besides likeness and user feedback? That always appeared to be the blueprint of fighting games going forward to have two main characters opposite ends of the spectrum (stoic/flashy) etc...
Scorpion/Sub-Zero came from the same origin as Ryu/Ken and Mario/Luigi: You can reuse sprites by just swapping colors.

Hateno

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 30, 2017
With the casual gaming crowd, I'd say Scorpion would win out, especially since the series revival last gen. With the general public, I'd say Chun may still have the edge.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Asked my wife if she knows any and she said she knows hadouken, I said that's not a character and she said yes it's the green spikey one.

Soooo I guess that's interesting

dumbyugi

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've ever met someone who doesn't know Ken if they know Ryu, same with Scorpion and Sub-zero. So if Ryu is first then Ken is logically 2nd.

Remapped88

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Honestly, I think Chun-Li, Ken and Scorpion are pretty tied but Chun-Li definitely has an edge over both since she the most recognized female fighter. As for Ken, if someone knows Ryu, then most likely will know Ken as well. Scorpion edges Sub-Zero out by a lot since Scorpion's line is iconic even though they are always in pairs.

I like SNK but Kyo or Terry shouldn't even be on the list since almost(maybe all) every SF2 character are more well known than them. I get that they're well known in specific areas of the world but SF2's roster is undeniably the most well known fighting game cast ever from Guile to Blanka to Sagat to M.Bison, etc.

Nov 17, 2017
giphy.gif

Who else but Chun Li?

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta go with Ken even though there's a strong argument for Chun-li. And I'm still talking all fighting games. SF has massive brand awareness.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Chun-Li by a landslide. Ken and Guile are probably more known than Scorpion as well.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Scorpion imo. Street Fighter's sales as a franchise are like 43 million units per capcom's official site. MKX sold 11 Million Units alone. By some metrics Mortal Kombat has been bigger than Street Fighter for a while now, so I'd put their main guy ahead of Chun-Li or Ken. I guess I just think Mortal Kombat is more mainstream nowadays. If you had asked me 10-15 years ago my answer would probably be different though.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Is iconic defined by quantity only?(how many people heard or know the character), or is it also about how the character move crowds on it's presence?(in other words, how many people know the character versus how many people actually care about said character).

Either way im going with Scorpion.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely Sub-Zero or Scorpion in the US. Honestly, they might even be more well known than Ryu here.

I'd have to say Chun Li world-wide.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
This is a tough one but I'm going with Scorpion for the "get over here!" line which, like, everyone immediately knows and has been reused in other media ad nauseum.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Scorpion imo. Street Fighter's sales as a franchise are like 43 million units per capcom's official site. MKX sold 11 Million Units alone. By some metrics Mortal Kombat has been bigger than Street Fighter for a while now, so I'd put their main guy ahead of Chun-Li or Ken. I guess I just think Mortal Kombat is more mainstream nowadays. If you had asked me 10-15 years ago my answer would probably be different though.

The last MK game sold 11 million units? The last SF game sold 9 million.

SF reps have also been in the last two Smash games, which have sold like 25 million combined. MK11's sales dwarf SFV's, but it's kinda hard to argue MK characters are more visible.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
you have to pick another SF character if we're talking worldwide. Chun, Ken or even Guile for example. MK doesn't cover the whole world, not even close. You can pick Tekken and you'd do better over MK any day. I wish there was SNK in there but they dropped the ball WW multiple times.

The people saying Mario in this thread need a separate forum where they can talk about how their favorite action movie character is Lego Batman and their favorite pizza topping is anime. Cretins.

i like this post.