• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Take Ryu out of it. Who is the second most iconic fighting game character?

• Akuma

• Chun Li

• Sub-Zero

• Scorpion

• Kyo

• Terry

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sep 24, 2019
Voldo. Lol.

voldo.jpg

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Anyone saying Mario is trolling or can't read.

He's not on the poll but Ken would be up there for me. Chun-Li is probably the right answer though.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Scorpion is less iconic than all 8 of the OG World Warriors and Cammy.

This is a true statement. You could also replace "Scorpion" with any non-Street Fighter fighting game character, and it would still be a true statement.

And of the 8 OG World Warriors, Ryu and Ken are, far and away, more popular than all the rest.

So, the answer is Ken.

How is he not in the poll?

Those people who insist it's Scorpion are vastly overestimating how popular Mortal Kombat is around the world.

I've played basically every SNK fighter and I had to look up who Kyo was.

You might have missed a game called King of Fighters. It also has a couple of sequels. You should look it up...

Dec 20, 2017
I think Captain Falcon is a serious contender. I'd wager almost everyone who plays video games in a country where Nintendo has a market can recognize the words "Falcon Punch!" And unlike with Mario, Captain Falcon is better known for Smash than for his home series (sorry F-Zero fans, it's the truth), and his most iconic attributes (like "Falcon Punch!") come from Smash. I'd say he's the closest thing Smash Bros has to a specific mascot (among its playable characters).

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
It's gotta be Chun Li, who I'd argue might be even more recognizable to mainstream audiences than Ryu is, due to her more unique design.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
Shout to OP for including Rival Schools in their graphic, even if I'm not the biggest fan of Batsu.

As for the topic, coinflip between Chun-Li and Scorpion.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Does Scorpion's popularity in the West make up for his nonexistence elsewhere?

non existence ?
Just because MK isn't popular in Japan doesn't mean it is only big in the West.

This was for a Saudi Arabian Football team.

Scorpion and Sub Zero over Ryu even. SF doesn't get into this race til third place.

SF2 alone is bigger than the rest of its franchise combined. Maybe even the MK franchise combined. It raked in nearly $10bn in its prime. Its impact on pop culture is far bigger.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
lol at scorpion when nobody gives a fuck about mk in the east. chun li is universal and more prevalent in pop culture .

Plenty of other places where both are very popular and maybe even MK might be more popular. Isn't MK banned only in Japan ? idk about other East Asian countries. But MK is definitely huge in South Asia and the Middle East. Easily just as popular/iconic as Street Fighter.

I know LATAM is basically KOF land , but MK and SF are popular there too. So yea one region not giving a fuck about MK doesn't really paint the whole picture.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
non existence ?
Just because MK isn't popular in Japan doesn't mean it is only big in the West.

This was for a Saudi Arabian Football team.

SF2 alone is bigger than the rest of its franchise combined. Maybe even the MK franchise combined. It raked in nearly $10bn in its prime. Its impact on pop culture is far bigger.

Yup resetera in its own bubble again, always trying to downplay street fighters legacy.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
The last MK game sold 11 million units? The last SF game sold 9 million.

SF reps have also been in the last two Smash games, which have sold like 25 million combined. MK11's sales dwarf SFV's, but it's kinda hard to argue MK characters are more visible.

I mean SF4 sold 9 million units across like 4 separate version released over like 6 years, but sure that's comparable I guess. Wasn't trying to make it a straight up sales comparison, just point out that in recent years Street Fighter is less popular than it's been in a long time, and Mortal Kombat has kind of stepped up as the "most popular" fighter by that one metric (sales). As a result it's been more in the mainstream consciousness of late.

SF reps have been in the last two Smash games, but we have to exclude Ryu per the thread, and Ken is just a Ryu clone in Smash, but I guess it counts. In that case Ken should be on the poll. Either way, imo Scorpion, then Chun-Li and Ken right now, but like I said ask me 10 years ago & my answer would have been different.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
I mean SF4 sold 9 million units across like 4 separate version released over like 6 years, but sure that's comparable I guess. Wasn't trying to make it a straight up sales comparison, just point out that in recent years Street Fighter is less popular than it's been in a long time, and Mortal Kombat has kind of stepped up as the "most popular" fighter by that one metric (sales). As a result it's been more in the mainstream consciousness of late.

SF reps have been in the last two Smash games, but we have to exclude Ryu per the thread, and Ken is just a Ryu clone in Smash, but I guess it counts. In that case Ken should be on the poll. Either way, imo Scorpion, then Chun-Li and Ken right now, but like I said ask me 10 years ago & my answer would have been different.

SF4,MKX,MK11 are all niche compared to the impact SF2 and MK1 had back in the arcade days.

The "iconic" status of Ryu,Ken,,Chun,Scorpion,Subzero is because of those games not really the modern ones. They are comparable to the likes of Fortnite and GTAV of today. MK's violence caused a huge stir in gaming media back then and SF2 is basically the 3rd Highest grossing video game of all time.

Its like saying Pacman isn't iconic because his current games aren't selling.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Dark horse candidate: Zangief
Hey, he was in a Disney movie!

But c'mon, it's Chun Li.

milkham

Oct 25, 2017
Ryu and Chun Li have been on the packaging for fake boner pills you buy at the bodega, has scorpion?

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I really thopught Sub Zero was more populare than Scorpion. At least he was in my school in the 90s.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's Chun-Li. I have met so many people who know nothing about games but still know her for some reason.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
OP mispelled Ken.

Jokes aside, I dunno Chun Li?

Edit: Gotta be Ryu, Ken, Chun Li, Sub Zero, Scorpion in some order (but definitely Sub Zero>Scorpion).