• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Take Ryu out of it. Who is the second most iconic fighting game character?

• Akuma

• Chun Li

• Sub-Zero

• Scorpion

• Kyo

• Terry

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
If we're talking about the general population, I'd say that Scorpion is far more recognizable to the average person than Ryu - at least in the west.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
Chun Li and it's not even close. China alone makes her more popular than Scorpion by a mile, then you factor the rest of Asia.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
Scorps.

No contest.

He's like Sonic, people who even play video games know scorpions get over here.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
kinda not related to this poll, but I'm pretty sure Iori more iconic to KoF than Kyo are.

hammurabi

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I could say Skullomania but realistically it's:

Scorpion
Chun Li
Heihachi
Ivy

And I guess technically Goku is a fighting game character, but that's not what he's known for.

Also Smash characters.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
"Come over here"

even adults who weren't in to fighting games had this in their mouths when it came out and they still do today.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Even
There's nothing to fix.

MK is selling over 10 million a game, with SF struggling to reach it's first month sales target in 3 years.

Something known and loved by 1M people in 10 countries is still more popular and global than something loved by 50 people, each one from a different country.

Street Fighter is washed up and hasn't been popular in a minute. Stats don't lie.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
The fact that Scorpion is barely edging out Chun-Li on an English forum tells me that Chun is by far more popular.
That doesn't really mean anything lmao. MK is not only popular in english speaking markets.

There are about 20 dofferent major spanish speaking MK fansites and forums, zero for Street Fighter.

Mk is also popular in continental Europe.

A poll on ResetEra (which is Capcom land, and loves to shit on MK) doesn't prove anything. Sales however would be a better indicator.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Ken, they basically go hand and hand.

Then its a tossup of Scorpion Sub Zero or Chun li

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
The fact that Scorpion is barely edging out Chun-Li on an English forum tells me that Chun is by far more popular.

This forum is not repersentive of the wider public. It's weeb/Sony central here. A better metric would be sales which MK blows SF out of the water. The last two MK games (MKX and MK11) have both surpassed 10 million sales each whereas SFV has only sold 3.9 million copies.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Even

There's nothing to fix.

MK is selling over 10 million a game, with SF struggling to reach it's first month sales target in 3 years.

Something known and loved by 1M people in 10 countries is still more popular and global than something loved by 50 people, each one from a different country.

Street Fighter is washed up and hasn't been popular in a minute. Stats don't lie.

1. Pokémon
2. Mario
3. Call of Duty
4. Wii
5. Pac-Man
6. Space Invaders
7. Dungeon Fighter Online
8. Street Fighter
9. Final Fantasy
10. Warcraft
13. Grand Theft Auto
15. League of Legends
25. Dragon Ball video games
26. Halo
39. Super Smash Bros.
42. Minecraft
46. Fortnite
50. Mortal Kombat

The numbers for MK are kind of old, but given how these companies love to celebrate milestones, I imagine MK is in the 40s now.

This is all capitalistic bullshit at the end of the day, but if you wanna play stats don't lie...

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
This forum is not repersentive of the wider public. It's weeb/Sony central here. A better metric would be sales which MK blows SF out of the water. The last two MK games (MKX and MK11) have both surpassed 10 million sales each whereas SFV has only sold 3.9 million copies.
Era stays living in a bubble. Street Fighter is washed up to most people, just go read any article or youtube video comment section.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area

1. Pokémon
2. Mario
3. Call of Duty
4. Wii
5. Pac-Man
6. Space Invaders
7. Dungeon Fighter Online
8. Street Fighter
9. Final Fantasy
10. Warcraft
13. Grand Theft Auto
15. League of Legends
25. Dragon Ball video games
26. Halo
39. Super Smash Bros.
42. Minecraft
46. Fortnite
50. Mortal Kombat

The numbers for MK are kind of old, but given how these companies love to celebrate milestones, I imagine MK is in the 40s now.

This is all capitalistic bullshit at the end of the day, but if you wanna play stats don't lie...

The number for SF is lifetime revenue up to 2018 but the number for MK is only up to 2006. So the entire MK reboot trilogy is not being took into account.