• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Take Ryu out of it. Who is the second most iconic fighting game character?

• Akuma

• Chun Li

• Sub-Zero

• Scorpion

• Kyo

• Terry

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
The number for SF is lifetime revenue up to 2018 but the number for MK is only up to 2006.
Not to mention most of that was earned in the early 90's. I never said SF was never huge, I said it is washed up and most people don't care for that series in 2019, and it shows in sales/etc. Especially compared to other Fg series that are still setting the charts on fire like Mk and Tekken.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Chun-Li, Sub-Zero, or Ken.

not sure why people think Scorpion is more popular than Sub-Zero when SZ got his own self titled spin-off. Is it because he's DLC in Injustice?

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
If you compare lifetime sales MK has outsold SF by a few million. MK had 49 million sales before the launch of MK11 whereas SF has had 43 million sales by 2018. MK X, which was a damn ugly game, sold over 11 million copies. More than Tekken 7 and SFV combined!

Chun-Li, Sub-Zero, or Ken.

not sure why people think Scorpion is more popular than Sub-Zero when SZ got his own self titled spin-off. Is it because he's DLC in Injustice?

He's the literal logo of Neatherealm studios and was on the cover for both MKX and MK11.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
The number for SF is lifetime revenue up to 2018 but the number for MK is only up to 2006. So the entire MK reboot trilogy is not being took into account.

I acknowledged that. Even if those games miraculously added TWO BILLION (no way that they did, but let's fantasize) to Mortal Kombat's lifetime revenue, MK is still way, way, way, way, way behind SF.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not moving goal posts. Right now MK is more popular than SF. Who cares what happened 30 years ago? That's not relevant in asking what is more popular.

I'ma tell you something that might blow your mind. MK is very popular because of stuff that happened almost 30 years ago too.

Every character listed in the OP's poll is from the 90s. This is not a coincidence.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chun-Li is the more iconic overall, even if Street Fighter isn't the most popular right now.

Isn't the most popular Mortal Kombat character the ice one anyway?

But this is the real answer. Above Ryu.

Also the most popular driving game character, golf game character, tennis game character, soccer game character, party game character, etc.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
I'ma tell you something that might blow your mind. MK is very popular because of stuff that happened almost 30 years ago too.

Every character listed in the OP's poll is from the 90s. This is not a coincidence.
Difference being that one is selling 10+ million a game nowadays, while the other is struggling, but you already knew that.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

If you're going to use Smash (which you shouldn't) it should at least be a character like Captain Falcon. I have no doubt that the vast majority of people who know him couldn't tell you what series he's from, and everything iconic about him (Falcon Punch!) is original to Smash.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Difference being that one is selling 10+ million a game nowadays, while the other is struggling.

Selling 4 million on one console and PC is not exactly struggling. In fact, SFV selling as well as it has despite all of the problems it has as a product is a testament to the franchise's popularity.

Let's try an analogy: think about how hype everybody was over the inclusion of Terminator in MK. Terminator is one of the all-time most recognizable characters in action films. The latest Terminator film is currently flopping in theaters, however. It's looking like it will even lose money.

John Wick Chapter 3, on the other hand, is one of the highest grossing movies this year. The John Wick franchise, though recent, is beloved. Keanu Reeves is experiencing something of a renaissance right now too. John Wick would be an excellent inclusion as an MK guest too. I'd buy that Kombat Pack.

But is John Wick a more popular action movie character than the Terminator?

No. He is not.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP asks about iconicity, which is not immediately affected by current sales but overall performance in the collective consciousness.
Mortal Kombat and its characters are more popular right now, yeah, but Chun-Li is still a globally recognizable character. Countless cameos, references, costumes; and misguided or not, there was a movie about her :p

Her distinguishable design helps, I think. Unlike Scorpion and Sub-Zero, where I'd be hard-pressed to remember their respective looks.

This is similar to that recent thread "Is Ellie more popular than Lara Croft now?", where yes Lara Croft is more iconic, but Ellie (From the Last of Us) surpassed her popularity atm.
A nice example used in that thread was Superman. Most iconic superhero, but he isn't that relevant right now. Still, he's the superhero by antonomasia. That's Chin-Li.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Correct thread title: "If we take Scorpion out of it, who is the next most iconic fighting game character?"

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Ken. Hold on if Ryu is the most iconic (and he is) doesn't it stand to reason at worst Ken is second if not tied? He has been Ryus guy since 5ever.

after That it's probably Chun Li over the mk goons.

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017
Difference being that one is selling 10+ million a game nowadays, while the other is struggling, but you already knew that.

I highly doubt this has anything to do with the characters, though, but more to do with the poor treatment of one IP VS another. If Capcom makes the next SF great, and not the weridness that was SF 5, the game will sell as well. Because you know what? Great games sell, poor games do not....regardless of what iconic character/s are attached to the IP or not.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
If you compare lifetime sales MK has outsold SF by a few million. MK had 49 million sales before the launch of MK11 whereas SF has had 43 million sales by 2018. MK X, which was a damn ugly game, sold over 11 million copies. More than Tekken 7 and SFV combined!
He's the literal logo of Neatherealm studios and was on the cover for both MKX and MK11.

Ryu did not become iconic because of the console SF. SF2 made more money than all the other SFs combined and is among the highest grossing video games of all time.

Both SF and MK hit their high points during the 90s. The reason Scorpion is iconic is also because of MKs Arcade roots. Selling 10m in todays era is great but nothing ground breaking like the Fortnites or the PUBGs.

Its like saying Pacman isn't iconic because his current games don't sell.

Last edited:

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017

10m is good but not really ground breaking in Todays market. The reason Scorpion and Ryu are iconic is because they were in THE biggest games in the early 90s.
By your logic even Kratos or Drake would be more iconic than Scorpion or Ryu since they sell more. But that ain't true.

Is Pacman not iconic anymore because his games don't sell ?

To give you a perspective on how big a game SF2 was. Making that much money is similar to what Fornite and GTAV make in their lifetime.

Ken. Hold on if Ryu is the most iconic (and he is) doesn't it stand to reason at worst Ken is second if not tied? He has been Ryus guy since 5ever.

after That it's probably Chun Li over the mk goons.

This is true. Ken and Ryu are tied , just like how Scorpion and Subzero are tied. People have their preferences , but I dont think anyone that knows one character will not know the other.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Whoo I voted the popular choice for once. It's Scorps for sure.

Come over here

Wait no,

Get over...

shit.

Say what you said again.

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
It's scorpion. Funny seeing Chunli world wide. Most Nigerians know who scorpion is compared to chun li. Get over her Is too iconic. Sub Zero to

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Geez, I thought Scorpion and Sub Zero were supposed to be about equal but Scorpion pulls ahead by 4x votes because of a catch phrase.
Catch phrases are a huge deal. You can be some random guy on the subway and say "get over here!" in the voice and people get the reference. You can't do that with Sub-Zero. I know it seems silly but most iconic characters have a catch phrase or identifiable "sound effect" of some kind.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
By the way, I think if everyone that responded 'Mario (ehehhhahhe)' was permanently banned from this community, it would be no worse for it and likely better.

KcebAnier

Oct 29, 2017
Selling 4 million on one console and PC is not exactly struggling. In fact, SFV selling as well as it has despite all of the problems it has as a product is a testament to the franchise's popularity.

Let's try an analogy: think about how hype everybody was over the inclusion of Terminator in MK. Terminator is one of the all-time most recognizable characters in action films. The latest Terminator film is currently flopping in theaters, however. It's looking like it will even lose money.

John Wick Chapter 3, on the other hand, is one of the highest grossing movies this year. The John Wick franchise, though recent, is beloved. Keanu Reeves is experiencing something of a renaissance right now too. John Wick would be an excellent inclusion as an MK guest too. I'd buy that Kombat Pack.

But is John Wick a more popular action movie character than the Terminator?

No. He is not.

Uh.. if your facts here are true, then yeah, John wick is more popular than Terminator. Popularity is a snapshot measurement. It is a measure of this moment right now, not a measurement over a span of time or a reflection on the historical opinion of something. You can argue that Terminator was more popular in its heyday than John Wick is now, but that's just splitting hairs and doesn't address the real question of who is popular now.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Uh.. if your facts here are true, then yeah, John wick is more popular than Terminator. Popularity is a snapshot measurement. It is a measure of this moment right now, not a measurement over a span of time or a reflection on the historical opinion of something. You can argue that Terminator was more popular in its heyday than John Wick is now, but that's just splitting hairs and doesn't address the real question of who is popular now.

Terminator is more well known than John Wick , its not even up for debate. History does matter. The question is which character is more iconic.
If we want to go by popularity , at this very moment Terry Bogard is probably the most popular because of his recent inclusion in Smash and everyone talking about him.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, no. That's not how it works either. Sure, popularity changes with the time. Absolutely. But these things take TIME to really change. Like you're aware that most of the people around in the 90s...are still around, right? In fact, I'd wager these people are Mortal Kombat's base today. And Street Fighter's. (The average video game player is 34. A 34 year old today would have been 10 or 11 when Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat cartoons were new on TV)

Just because I buy a John Wick ticket this year, doesn't mean I don't remember Terminator 2 all of a sudden.

Last edited:

KcebAnier

Oct 29, 2017
Terminator is far more well known than John Wick. History does matter. The question is which character is more iconic.
If we want to go by popularity , at this very moment Terry Bogard is probably the most popular because of his recent inclusion in Smash and everyone talking about him.

Fair point. Iconic != Popular.

There is no world in which John Wick is more Iconic than Terminator.

I don't think that necessarily holds true for Chun Li or Scorpion though. I would argue, to be Iconic, a character must be recognizable by a significant majority of people. If you showed a Picture of Mario, Sonic, Master Chief to most people they would recognize them. They might not be able to name them, but they would at least be able to say something to the effect of "That's the guy from that game".

I would seriously doubt any character from any Vs. Fighter is actually Iconic. Not outside of the Core Gamer Audience.