• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen a thread on this yet so I thought I would make one to raise awareness. It seems like the PSN SKU mess claims another victim. Normally if you own the PS4 version Ghost of Tsushima you can get a discounted upgrade to the PS5 Directors Cut version, if you however claimed the PS5 version of Ghost of Tsushima Legends from this month's PS+ freebies you will be locked out of doing so because PSN doesn't allow you to buy content you already own because it sees the PS+ Legends version as part oof the Directors Cut Upgrade. Interestingly enough though it seems to be possible to buy the full-price PS5 version still and the purchase would go through just fine.

As of the time of writing this it seems the only way to fix this is to contact Sony and asking them to "refund" you the PS+ Legends version. Honestly I have zero faith in Sony fixing this after pretty much the same thing happening with Final Fantasy VII Remaster and its PS+ version, I really wish they would finally start to properly consolidate their SKUs instead of making a ton of different ones that lead to conflicts like this :/

My original source was the German magazine GamePro: https://www.gamepro.de/artikel/ps-plus-maerz-2022-got-legends-fehler,3378526.html

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I actually hesitated on pulling the trigger on this for this exact reason. Crazy that my hunch ended up being correct.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is wack. Conversely you also cant claim the game on Plus if you've purchased the PS5 upgrade while owning a PS4 disc. I was hoping to be able to play Legends without a disc, but alas.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
I literally did it 15 minutes ago, but I have the ps4 disc. No problems here. Is this challenge only for the digital version?

Edit : yes, OP mentions the PSN SKU.

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Maybe Xbox Smart Delivery was just marketing buzzwords for actual real tech that Microsoft was working on to make the transition smooth for the end user. I still have the PS4 versions of games I have the PS5 upgrade for installing automatically every time I put in the disc. How have they not figured this out by now.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
They really need to fix this asap. PSN is held together by spit and a prayer.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
Yeah this is wack. Conversely you also cant claim the game on Plus if you've purchased the PS5 upgrade while owning a PS4 disc. I was hoping to be able to play Legends without a disc, but alas.

Wow, that really sucks to hear. I was hoping for the same. I don't want to keep the whole game installed to just play Legends.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Lol, funnily enough my spider sense tingled when I was about to claim it, I don't know why but something told me to hold off on claiming it, but I went ahead and did it anyway :(

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I hope Sony has started the behind the scenes work on a complete PSN rebuild, even if it doesn't appear until the Playstation 6 launch.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
This upgrade stuff is a crock of shit.

I wanted to update Cyberpunk today and it won't let me… when googling it says it may be an issue with regions HOWEVER I bought the game digitally from the only account I own. Fuck knows what I do now.

Edit: Any suggestions for fixes are welcome.

Cali32

Oct 11, 2020
Though in the end it's not going to matter, because at some point the PS5 version will get a steep discount while the upgrade forever remains at $30.

You're probably right since I don't have any plans at the minute to pay for the upgrade, and I rather wait and get the physical PS5 version whenever it goes on a deep sale in a year or two from now.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I can't believe they've been charging for this service for over 8 years now as a requirement to use it, and it's still this bad.

PSN is one of the worst services I've ever paid for.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I might be mistaken, but isn't there an ingame purchase option? If there is, is that also locked out?

I don't particularly care about the upgrade, I've got the PS4 and PS4 disc, but it is the only way I see you can buy the Iki expansion for PS4, right?

Though in the end it's not going to matter, because at some point the PS5 version will get a steep discount while the upgrade forever remains at $30.
You mean $20 and it already has had a 25% discount.

Last edited:

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I hope Sony has started the behind the scenes work on a complete PSN rebuild, even if it doesn't appear until the Playstation 6 launch.
Wasn't there a problem years ago with Trophies not syncing right away too? PSN Now still doesn't have PS5 support either I don't think.

Maybe this is Spartacus, just a whole new rebuild.

Lowkey20

Nov 18, 2020
While this isn't directly tied to this convo about Ghosts, I have a friend who works at Sony, not on the gaming side, but he's told me how dysfunctional their corporate side is. Every team is underfunded and understaffed. They literally don't have product managers or a UX team. The developers just design everything themselves and it's a disaster. So the reason I bring this up is because now whenever I see a thread like this where people question why things are so broken at Sony, it reminds me of what I know about Sony. Just look at the UX-UI on the PS5 and their mobile app. It's a clusterfuck. So I don't know if they actually have anyone in a product manager role on the gaming side who develops a strategy for this "smart delivery." I don't know about the gaming side but it wouldn't surprise me if they sort of hand this off to the dev team and wing it without thinking through all of the use cases. I could be wrong, though.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Son of a bitch. I did this. So how do I fix This? Who do I contact? This is so annoying.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Wow, that really sucks to hear. I was hoping for the same. I don't want to keep the whole game installed to just play Legends.
Having just Legends installed doesn't save you any space I don't think, or if it does, the space saving is very minimal. Same goes for the standalone version of Red Dead Online. They're both marked as 'trials', and I'm pretty sure the full game is installed, with the SP content just locked out. I could be wrong, but I didn't notice any reduction in storage space when I switched to the online only versions.

Are you sure? I remember having to jump through a few hoops, but I was able to buy the standalone version of Legends (not the PS+ version, but I imagine they work the same) despite having previously purchased the PS5 upgrade and using the PS4 disc. Obviously I bought Legends so that I could play it whenever I wanted without needing the disc (since I was finished with the SP). That's still how I play it.

Dec 11, 2017

I had this very experience. I let a nephew borrow my GoT disc and I can't even claim Legends over Plus this month.

Honestly, I've flirted with making PS5 my main, but this shit makes me love my Xbox even more. It's baffling how bad this is.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I do not, no. It's currently $30, not on sale.

This is in the US, I can't speak for other regions.
My bad, looks like I was talking about just the DC upgrade for PS4, which I can't seem to buy. But putting in the Disc goves me the option for the $30 PS4 base to PS5 DC version.

So if I want the PS4 DLC I can only buy the PS4 DC version... Man...

OP
OP
Skyfireblaze

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
Sony has never been great about this kind of thing, but I feel like they've been dropping the ball hard this gen. Especially on their UI design. The German PSN store on PS5 didn't even have a(n easy) way to check for new releases for the longest time, whereas the US version had a section on the first page when you opened the store. Then there's the fact that the PSN website doesn't even show you screenshots on the game pages, making it basically useless unless you already know you want to buy something.

I don't know who at Sony keeps making these decisions, but I'd like them to stop. Good user experience design should be prioritised.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry about it and no problem, I just wanted to clarify any confusion :)
I did claim the Legends trial with PS+ and I was prompted a €30 upgrade when I inserted a disc. Obviously I didn't follow through as I don't want to waste €30, so I can't say with 100 percent certainty that it isn't an issue for disc owners, but it seems to just be an issue for people that have the game digitally or who just want the PS4 Iki expansion.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Fine for me, I'll claim it for my ps4. Never buying another damn console again. Tired of this kind of fuckery.

Waters

Mar 17, 2018
Im really confused now... it says PS4 Monthly Game, but the game is actually for PS5? Is it a standalone?

I played the PS4 version but i dont have the disc anymore

eFKac92

Apr 8, 2021
Yeah this is me and it's ridiculous. I will just borrow a DC copy from a friend, less money for Sony 🤷

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
Having just Legends installed doesn't save you any space I don't think, or if it does, the space saving is very minimal. Same goes for the standalone version of Red Dead Online. They're both marked as 'trials', and I'm pretty sure the full game is installed, with the SP content just locked out. I could be wrong, but I didn't notice any reduction in storage space when I switched to the online only versions.

Are you sure? I remember having to jump through a few hoops, but I was able to buy the standalone version of Legends (not the PS+ version, but I imagine they work the same) despite having previously purchased the PS5 upgrade and using the PS4 disc. Obviously I bought Legends so that I could play it whenever I wanted without needing the disc (since I was finished with the SP). That's still how I play it.

Yeah. I deleted the game off my ps5. Tried wen store, iOS app. Everything. No dice. Also happening to some on Reddit and here.

Now it DOES let me redeem the PS4 version but not PS5. Which version did you buy?
The console store won't show me the PS4 version but the app does

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Thanks for the warning, won't redeem it. Already own Legends with the base version anyway so what's the point lol.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I cannot imagine PS Store staying together for generations to come. Really hope they clean it up one day.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Yeah. I deleted the game off my ps5. Tried wen store, iOS app. Everything. No dice. Also happening to some on Reddit and here.

Now it DOES let me redeem the PS4 version but not PS5. Which version did you buy?
The console store won't show me the PS4 version but the app does
PS4 version (I use the back button attachment on DS4).

FWIW, I couldn't notice any difference between the PS4 and PS5 versions of Legends running on PS5, whereas the differences in SP were immediately noticeable.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The archaic PlayStation store infrastructure giveth (Elden Ring dumb delivery on PS5) and the archaic PlayStation store infrastructure taketh away (this kind of nonsense.)

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017

I purchased the upgrade already whilst owning a PS4 disc and it lets me still claim the legends game on PS Plus.