• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
Ill be completely honest I would add a type to represent light. Light would be opposite of dark and be more attack oriented then defense oriented. Dark and light types cannot attack each other and light types would beat ghost and fairy cause why not.
What about you, what type would you add to Pokémon and give ideas for how the type is!

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
I haven't kept up with the Pokémon community in some years, but I remember people saying that there should be a Sound type, on account of there being many moves that revolve around sound. Sounds like an interesting idea.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought a radiation type would be cool. Maybe strong against grass and water and weak against flying and steel... Something very oddball like that.

But I can understand why people wouldn't be... Comfortable with it.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Cosmic. There are too many space related Pokémon that could change their type to that. Clefairy, Deoxys, Elgyem, Banette, Solrock, Muk... Attacks too, Moonbeam, solarbeam etc.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Ill be completely honest I would add a type to represent light. Light would be opposite of dark and be more attack oriented then defense oriented. Dark and light types cannot attack each other and light types would beat ghost and fairy cause why not.
What about you, what type would you add to Pokémon and give ideas for how the type is!

But wasn't dark type meant to be evil rather than actual darkness?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Demon

Zombie -- would love this one, since it could just be reanimated corpses of various other Pokemon. Undead Pikachu, undead Charizard....

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
"Light type" already exists. It's Fairy.

Sound type is the most logical answer anyway.

Actually, Psychic is the expy for light type, Fairy is supposed to be the counterpart to Dragon.

But wasn't dark type meant to be evil rather than actual darkness?

It's a bit of both, Dark is also the opposite of fighting, Fighting is "martial arts" and Dark is "dirty fighting", but since it also opposes Psychic, it takes a bit of both, some attacks are definitely Darkness.

As for anew type, dang it's hard to think something that doesn't fall in one way or another into any of the existing types, and people already said sound (which already even has a ton of pokemon to be reclassified as that type).

Wind would be cool, but basically would be a re-branding of Flying with more elemental themed moves.

Oct 29, 2017
USA
I feel like they should rebalance a few types first instead of adding more types to accomplish that. Namely do something to help out Rock, Ice, and Grass types defensively.

But more on topic, a proper Light type seems overdue.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
Abyss type
Pokémon completely averse to light, usually with no hair nor sight. Living deep within the ground or water, these Pokémon are bound to scare anyone with their otherworldy looks.

Performer type
These Pokémon excel at the arts, and at grabbing people's attention. Their neverending optimism make for great companions, but beware, they don't do well alongside gloomy people or Pokémon.

Yarn type
Like out of Yoshi's Wooly World, these Pokémon are made out of yarn! They can even be worn! The latest discovery from the Island of Yharn has the eyes of all sorts of corporations, and even Team Rocket itself since they want to turn them into a fad, and therefore profit. They don't do well versus Fire by the way...

Oct 28, 2017
No.

Light type makes no sense.

Pokemon games need a type that fits completely destructive beings that acquire shit loads of energy like Yveltal.

Maybe a blood type

Last edited:

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The Pokemon Uranium fangame had the perfect addition.

Nuclear

Strong against everything. Weak against everything.

I feel like that was a missed opportunity with the Ultra Beasts, but then again...

They would have been too strong with something like that. Imagine something like Pheromosa hitting everything that has a dual type with x4 damage. It would be downright broken.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think 18 type is fine, 17 was also fine, and what we need is Game Freak to buff some types like Ice and Rock. I personally feel that they need to give Steel back its resistance to dark and ghost as I don't understand why they even lost it in the first place as Steel is meant to be a defensive type.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
I think light is silly having Fairy and all, but I suppose there might be ways to make it work.

I'd like any of the following.

Cosmic
Sound
Void
Light
Gas/Air

Truth is I'd like this ot not happen. I think we have great balance as it is, and I'd rather just see more pokemon, more regional variants and more megas and less z moves.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I think 18 type is fine, 17 was also fine, and what we need is Game Freak to buff some types like Ice and Rock. I personally feel that they need to give Steel back its resistance to dark and ghost as I don't understand why they even lost it in the first place as Steel is meant to be a defensive type.

But also why would steel be resitant to darkness or ghost in the first place?

Menik

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Redundant Type

It would more-so be a category for sorting out all the pokemon who are more-or-less named what they are... Or just obvious in their design. They would be weak against everything.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Ice is much better as an offense-type. It's weaknesses are way too common and strong.

Its the complete opposite of the fire type, a type with an huge amount of resistances, but is almost exclusively used as an attacking type.

Kinda funny, isn't it?

Giudecca

Oct 27, 2017
Ice is much better as an offense-type. It's weaknesses are way too common and strong.

Its the complete opposite of the fire type, a type with an huge amount of resistances, but is almost exclusively used as an attacking type.

Kinda funny, isn't it?

Prior to Gen 6, Ice was important because it was strong against Dragon-types. Now with Fairy types around, Ice just feels super useless. It resists NOTHING, so having Ice as a second type automatically cripples you.

It's way easier to have a water type with Ice-type TMs.

Lightning

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Pokemon Prism has both "Sound" and "Gas" types.

I feel like Gas is a bit redundant, but Sound type actually is pretty unique and reclassified a bunch of Pokemon and moves. It varied up the format similar to how Fairy did when it was introduced as a lot of existing Pokemon also fit that trope.

We even had a Gym for it.

I could see that maybe existing officially at some point.

Last edited:

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Personally I can't really think of any types that I feel we need, but I guess the two most obvious would be Cosmic and Sound, but I don't know where they'd fit in in terms of weaknesses and super effectiveness.

However, I can totally see a 3 stage evolution line for the Sound type consisting of speakers, eventually becoming a surround sound system with a subwoofer. Like Magnemite, but with speakers. The perfect poster child to sell the type.

I know Loudred and Noivern are similar to this I guess, but I was thinking less biological.

Byakura

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I think about this from time to time, but honestly I don't know. Maybe nuclear type? With that being a element in P5 it made me think about it being in Pokémon as well, but I wonder if it would be too similar to poison.

yado

Oct 25, 2017
A type that inhabits human bodies and gives them abilities. I don't have a name for them (spirit type?)

Deleted member 26535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wood

Somewhat like Grass but stronger. =P

Some Weakness: Fire, Fighting, Steel (perhaps)
Super Effective against: Bug, Flying, Poison, Fairy

The Pokemon Uranium fangame had the perfect addition.

Nuclear

Strong against everything. Weak against everything.

Almost like Ice type.

Last edited:

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sound is the fan favorite right now (and mine). Too many moves that already uses it's namesake with a good handful of Pokemon that can fit it's typing easily. (Exploud line, Noivern Line, Wigglytuff Line, Clefable Line, Chatot, Meloetta, Chimeco Line, Kicketune Line, Pyroar Line, Audino, Ninjask, and Politoed.)

I'm not a fan of cosmic because I feel like Psychic/Fairy/Dark covers that pretty well.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
I agree with Sound and Nuclear.

Also, rename Steel to Metal because different "steel" Pokémon are made of different metals, rename Dark to something that conveys the real "dishonorable/underhanded" meaning so people stop talking about it as an element and suggesting Light type, and Flying to Bird type like they originally intended because...it would be funny.

Oct 28, 2017
England
I think a Sound type would be a good choice, as there are already plenty of old Pokemon that could retroactively become Sound/part Sound.

174.gif
039.gif
040.gif
186.gif
293.gif
294.gif
295.gif
433.gif
358.gif
401.gif
402.gif
441.gif
556.gif
531.gif
648.gif

They could even make a Rock/Sound Parasaurolophus fossil Pokemon that could use the horn on the back of it's head as an instrument!

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Prior to Gen 6, Ice was important because it was strong against Dragon-types. Now with Fairy types around, Ice just feels super useless. It resists NOTHING, so having Ice as a second type automatically cripples you.

It's way easier to have a water type with Ice-type TMs.

Yeah that's the biggest problem with that type.

And yet Game Freak always tries to make Ice types into those bulky walls they're never going to be.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe a type to fit man-made pokemon?

Synthetic type, Artificial type...

Strong against electric. Electric has only one weakness since gen 1 ffs.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California

I also think that what the Pokémon games need above all else is a complete retooling of the types and the Pokémon stats/moves themselves. I don't think this will ever happen, though.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Cosmic and Sound make sense with what we already have. Nuclear could also be interesting going forward.