• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Just what the question says in the title.

It's something I have often pondered. Once you are born and begin existing, you're sort of in for the ride. There are considerations that weigh on an individual that keep them bound to continue existing, so that even escape from existence is not a victim-less crime. It's always felt a bit of a catch-22, though, because no one asks to be born and to exist, they just... are. Without having a say in it. And then they need to stick around, because once you're in, you're in.

But if you could go back and change it so you would never have existed to begin with, you were never born, so you never have to put up with any of this, would you do it?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not. To many good moments I've had to throw them away.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Nah, I hate thinking about the nothingness that awaits me after death so I wouldn't voluntarily embrace it.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
It's a Wonderful Life is a good movie, I agree. :P

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
nope.

I also think this line of questions is very dangerous for mental health.

Just appreciate the life you've been given, and enjoy it to the fullness.

Audioboxer

Banned
Nov 14, 2019
OP if you could make it so that this topic was never posted and it never existed, would you do it?

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. I think about it too - I sort of lean toward having children being inherently unethical, because life is kind of awful for even the luckiest of us, and it's as roll of the die whether the person you're ripping from non-existence is going to actually get anything out of it, or just end up kicked around by an uncaring universe.

But for me, it turned out pretty great, so I can't complain.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not in a trillion years.

My life, and life in general, is amazing and worth living!

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
No way in hell. Life is utterly worth it.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Nah. While I have a lot of self esteem issues and don't think very highly of myself, there's a lot of people around me who's lives would probably be various amounts of worse if I wasn't around, namely my wife.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
What? No.

My life is very imperfect, I've had a lot of pain, and am still dealing with some serious problems.

I'm still very grateful to be alive. Being a human is a special gift.

If anyone feels like OP describes I hope you find someone to talk to and seek some help. I'm currently seeing a therapist and it makes life infinitely more manageable. Please accept help.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a different answer depending on the month, week, or even time of day, but right now I'm feeling a yes.

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If I had that choice and took it, then I wouldn't exist to make that choice, which means I would end up existing, which means I'd do it, which means I wouldn't exist and couldn't do it.....so on and so forth.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Right.. and thinking about how it would've been if you never existed will not make it any better.
What will make it better? I'm actually asking. I'm so tired and it's been so long, and once I would have said I'm hurting but I think I've flat out lost all capacity for feeling so I legitimately mean this: what makes it better?

Status
Not open for further replies.