Oct 25, 2017
I think there's something neat about creating a tangible record of your age and tastes on specific dates, not to mention plugging away at something for a long time and seeing views or a fanbase grow

On the other hand, there's also something kinda weird about having strangers be able to see you age bit by bit and pick apart literally everything about you (opinions, appearance, etc) while also demanding that you constantly be entertaining

Do you think you would do it?

Hexcalibur

Jun 24, 2020
Well, speaking from experience here it is weird looking back at my old videos and see how different I look now lol.

reelbigeddy

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Not a chance. Unless that 4 - 5 years resulted in me being set for life financially afterwards, that would probably sway me.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I already have a YouTube channel (Moto Mengy). It's a motovlog channel so it's motorcycle content, but yeah I plan on doing it for many, many years yet as I've found it's more fun than I expected.

It's not making me any money, but statistically it shouldl start making a little bit of income late next year. I doubt very much I'll ever make a "living wage" from it, but its just a fun hobby for me so that's fine.

So yes, I think I'd do it!

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
No way. I stopped posting on my Instagram account when I hit 300 followers and never commented with my twitter account again once it hit 50 followers lol. I couldn't deal with lots of followers.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Even if it wasn't for money and was just as a hobby, maybe if I had a good idea to share and the time to devote to the craft to give it a quality production. I don't see it happening since I have zero drive for it.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
no. I'd hate having an audience to cater to. I'm not build that way.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I am way too self conscious to be on screen and to be "on" all the time.

Breaking in to the Twitch/Youtube is also very hard going from scratch and it's probably going to take years of hard work to gather enough people to your stream, then you entertain people for 8 hours.

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
I'd easily do it, if I was able to financially support myself during the time. If I had more time on my hands I'd love to start a podcast and do some gaming related shows etc.

I'm already planning on doing video-reviews alongside my written reviews. I just find myself being horrible at editing, and not finding the right amount of time between personal life, my real job and let alone playing the games I'm supposed to review. :P

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like the idea of random people trashing me for my content, sometimes I see very nasty stuff on Twitch or Youtube

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Nah the mental drain would kill me. Having to play games 10 hours a day while always being "on" as a camera presence would probably make me suicidal in a few weeks.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
I think there's something neat about creating a tangible record of your age and tastes on specific dates, not to mention plugging away at something for a long time and seeing views or a fanbase grow

On the other hand, there's also something kinda weird about having strangers be able to see you age bit by bit and pick apart literally everything about you (opinions, appearance, etc) while also demanding that you constantly be entertaining

Do you think you would do it?

I can and I do.

But content creation only works if you tune the outside world out completely. The opinions of strangers and fans, good or bad, should never be your concern. I know that's contrary to how forums like this operate, but content creation is not a democracy, fans don't get a say in how it's made or what happens in the content.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
World is some nasty shit. Seems like a brutal job, too. Imagine acting all fake and smiley.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Guess give us more information about this hypothetical.

Will we make loads of money or just squeak by?
Do I have to write content or will it be written for me and I just add my personality spin to it?

Professor Lich

Resettlement Advisor
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Depends. If I could just do videos or streams of work I enjoy without having to do stereotypical things to grow / capture an audience, then sure.

I personally would find it difficult to carry on tasks and things while calling out subs or whatever.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
sure

good chance i'd be shit at it, but if i could do it without putting myself in financial risk, i'd just be a very chill streamer who wouldn't worry about growing a community. wouldn't even really consider it to be work if i were to just turn on my stream whenever i play a game. i'd just play how i always do and react to whatever i feel like reacting to in chat. seems like less work than a youtuber who actually has to do a lot of production work.

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
I guess if I had to I'd be somthing like jabooty studios, vinesauce, maximillian dood or patstaresat/woolie vs.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe. I think I could pull off being a decent streamer.
I just can't see myself putting in 12-14 hours a day for months waiting for my viewer base to grow.

Oct 27, 2017
i just started streaming here and there, and it's kind of exhausting for someone who isn't used to being on point and on camera for hours at a time. the bright LED lights and shit just get to me. i'm gonna keep doing it here and there, but there's no way i'd ever do it as a legit long term thing.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh, probably not. I don't mind the idea of being a performer. But there's really not a 40 hour week with that kind of job, and vacations just don't exist. I would burn out fast and end up resenting it.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
I'm not entertaining enough for that.
But could be fun so if I could I would I guess

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
If I got paid for it, ya. I wanted to try this out years ago but life wouldn't let me.

Though, I would have a persona...like my dog, as the streamer. Like Arlo is a puppet. I'd just use my awesome dog.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
If I was guaranteed to make a living by streaming only 40 hours a week, then absolutely.
You have to make your own content and you wont be guaranteed success
Then what's the point of this "what if"? Because I, and I assume most people in here, already have the opportunity to make videos or stream without any success.

DarkWish

Oct 27, 2017
Virginia
No, I think it was just become too much of a job if it's a full-time thing. I already have a YouTube channel and stream sometimes, but I enjoy doing that as a hobby and it's a nice break from other things like my actual full-time job. It's a lot of fun and I've been making videos since 2006, but I wouldn't want to ruin it by making it my full-time job.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
Am I one of the ones making millions? Yeah sure, I could deal with that for a few years for a lifetime of comfort. If it was anything less, god no. If you're trying to work in conventional industries, I wonder how a few years gap for a streaming career looks to potential employers.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
If I was guaranteed to make a living by streaming only 40 hours a week, then absolutely.

Then what's the point of this "what if"? Because I, and I assume most people in here, already have the opportunity to make videos or stream without any success.
You assume most people in here have all the funds, space and time they feel like they'd need to make the specific content they want to make?

Loreth_94

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Oh I think I could. I know it will come with a fair share of negativity, but I think I would try my best to have fun with it and try to make a community of nice people. My content would be a random assortment of Video Games, Model Kits, Cosplay, and Film Reviews probably.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I've never been comfortable being onscreen, and I don't care enough about trends and audience metrics to do that successfully. My channel would be 100% about movies and games I like, with zero mind payed towards SEO and clicks

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
You assume most people in here have all the funds, space and time they feel like they'd need to make the specific content they want to make?
No, I assume most people in here have a computer or smart phone that they can upload a video from. That's it, that's all you need to be an unsuccessful youtuber.

I'm asking you what's the point of this hypothetical precisely because of what you listed - people aren't going to even attempt to make room for those things in the first place for that if "success" is not in the picture.

Like your question is clearly phrased in way that guarantees success, so if it doesn't, then I don't understand the point of the hypothetical because everyone would just say no.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
If I could make Ninja bucks and retire afterward then absolutely. But if I were to make the same salary I do now? Nope.