• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Give up on PS4 running PS3 games but if you want Sony to actually make an emulator for the PS3 in the next decade you have to at least make it known that there is interest for it.

If we let it fizzle out and/or not voice it in some way or form then they won't ever bother.

Sony is a multi-billion corporation that knows the PS3 more then anyone, they know the PS5 more then anyone, they can make it happen they just need a reason to do so.

Those PS3 custom server blades for PSNOW/PSPLUS will eventually have to be replaced, Sony needs to have it so PS5s can emulate PS3s. If there is no interest then they may just opt for PCs doing it instead once they get tired of having custom PS3s stream you said games to your PS5.

Last edited:

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Would be amazing if it could end up happening. Hopeful, but not expecting it. Would love to see this change though!

OP
OP
TheRealTalker

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't have to be this year, or the next but they need to actually start and the only way to do that is by letting them know said interest exists.

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
Sony can't keep making new Cells and RSXs forever. They have to move PS Plus/Now's PS3 games to another compute platform at some point, and that's going to mean emulation or those games will have to be taken off the service.

Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022
I'm pretty sure people have made it known by now Sony just doesn't seem to want to put resources behind it. I have no interest in streaming PS3 games. Give me downloads.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I could not possibly know whether PS3 emulation on PS5 is possible at a consumer-grade level of quality, but I do know that the PS3 and its excellent library deserves better than being some isolated bastion of unplayable content. Cloud streaming content is not the solution it needs to be and I don't know if it ever will.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
The demand is never going to justify the investment. BC for games that old is still ultimately a pretty moderately used feature, and it seems like Sony would need to make a substantial investment to overcome this problem.

They'll never do it until they suddenly need a big PR win.

OP
OP
TheRealTalker

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Sony can't keep making new Cells and RSXs forever. They have to move PS Plus/Now's PS3 games to another compute platform at some point, and that's going to mean emulation or those games will have to be taken off the service.
Yeah the PSNOW, soon PSPlus Streaming servers can't be using custom PS3s forever and if they opt to make PC servers instead that run PS3 emulation then that would be pretty sad... funny but sad.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
That a system as notable and pivotal as the PS3 has no BC of any kind is shameful, get it done Sony

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
They will never do it. When do Sony really do anything the consumer wants? Never. They do their own thing, and they don't give a shit about opinion polls and what have you.

They will always take the path or least resistance, and that path, is streaming.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it'd be cool if this actually took over.

The PS5 can't be an amazing powerhouse with a genius architect in Cerny, but also not able to do native PS3 emulation at the same time.

It makes zero sense. Everyone should realize that the only reason native PS3 BC doesn't exist, is because Sony does not want to do it, not because the PS5 is physically incapable.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i imagine that part of it is also that they dont want at the moment to make a distinction for backwards compatibility games that you can play only on PS5 and on backwards compatibility games that you can play on both PS4 and PS5. It will make sense to release that sort of feature a few years later when most of the audience moves over.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yup.
Though it's increasingly looking like they'd rather just take those games off when that time comes.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
They'll definitely have to cross that bridge at some point. They can't keep those PS3 racks running forever.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
it's insane to me that PlayStation still has no idea that we actually want this

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
tbh, probably cheaper to pay every PS3 exclusive game developer to remaster their game for modern consoles.

There aren't a ton of games exclusively left to die on the PS3.

Oct 25, 2017
It's where most of the legacy games I want to play are, so yeah do it Sony.

If they never get the emulation working on the PS4 / PS5 the streaming hardware they have will age out, better to do the work now and have the possibility of giant library going forward.

Seems worth it for them to do.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
Sony will never implement it for the same reason they won't put their games on PS+ Day 1 to make it a true competitor to GP: it will cost them too much. There's no benefit for them to give you true BC on the PS5 when they can charge you a service fee to do it.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
They know people want it. Just like they've come to know people want classics (PS1, PS2, PSP). They don't need a hashtag to be told, but it may help escalate things.

it's insane to me that PlayStation still has no idea that we actually want this
Of course they know.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Of course it would nice if PS3 games were downloadable.

However every time something like this comes up, people confuse the quality of emulation they will accept for free with the quality of emulation they will be willing to pay money for.

What can be done on PS5 with streaming, video/screenshot recording and all the other OS functionality that would be expected(as opposed to say the GBA ambassador games on 3DS) nobody outside PlayStation knows what is possible and at what quality.

But yeah, hopefully they are working on an emulation solution anyway since they will run out of Cell processors eventually and will have to do it. Hopefully that work will can be made transferred over to making them downloadable on PS5. If it's not possible, hopefully PS5 Pro or PS6 will be powerful enough and they will have it ready at launch.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm willing to give up Sony doing anything with PS3, given that we have RPCS3, if they do something with Vita games. But people ain't even asking about that one lol

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Past caring at this point tbh.

Looking at the list of PS3 games on Now, the vast majority are playable on Xbox and/or PC. Many of the best PS3 titles have seen PS4 ports or remasters. There are some first party titles I'd like to revisit though like Resistance FoM and Ratchet Crack in Time, but not at 720p. So would need to be some kind of enhanced BC or would be nice to see Sony remaster some of these classics.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Maybe Sony doesn't want to offer PS3 emulation as a PS5 exclusive if the PS4 can't handle it. The perk may have to wait for the PS6.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I could not possibly know whether PS3 emulation on PS5 is possible at a consumer-grade level of quality, but I do know that the PS3 and its excellent library deserves better than being some isolated bastion of unplayable content. Cloud streaming content is not the solution it needs to be and I don't know if it ever will.
RPCS3 is possible on non high end PCs currently, so PS5 absolutely has the horsepower to run a program like it. It's just the investment in getting the emulation up and running at a consistent consumer level that Sony's not willing to make. I'm sure they have some math to back up the market decision, it just really sucks.

I also think they think the streaming tech is better than it is. Especially now that a lot of people have 4K TVs, people aren't gonna be down with 720p artifacted streams visually, even if they don't notice the input lag. Literally PS3 games will look worse than when people played them originally.

Oct 27, 2017
What makes you think it's even technically possible?

RPCS3 is possible on non high end PCs currently, so PS5 absolutely has the horsepower to run a program like it. It's just the investment in getting the emulation up and running at a consistent consumer level that Sony's not willing to make.
How's the performance?

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

I think the latter is more likely to happen than the former. Sony doesn't seem to care that much about the legacy of their previous consoles anymore.

I'd love to be wrong though. PS3 emulation on PS5 would be awesome. Not easy to do and probably limited to a selection of games, but still.. far better than nothing.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
They will never do it. When do Sony really do anything the consumer wants? Never. They do their own thing, and they don't give a shit about opinion polls and what have you.

They will always take the path or least resistance, and that path, is streaming.

Sony has literally back tracked on several things over the past year alone due to fan outcry, I also like to be a pessimist sometimes, but if people make it known what they want Sony is more than willing to budge on things. This of course is something that would take time as opposed to those other things, but as others have said they use PS3's to do the lifting at the moment and those aren't going to last forever anyway so they will have to have some kind of solution regardless.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I think I'd probably be happy with a God Hand remaster, and a rerelease of ICO & SOTC (Remastered original versions, not remakes).

But real BC would be great too. I'd love to see Sony match Xbox in this regard.

DenverCo

Feb 21, 2019
Denver
What games are good from the PS3 Era that I'm missing out on? Trying to think of games that are great enough to port but nothing happens.

Feb 27, 2019
If a group of hobbyists with no access to chip designs or internal documents can develop a PS3 emulator that can run most games, Sony engineers with all the internal documentations can definitely produce an emulator that can run on PS5. It's just a matter of priorities and money.

I sure hope people push for this! Xbox BC is one of the best things MS has ever done. Given our digital future, BC should be an expectation for all console makers going forward.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In what way is it increasingly looking like this?
Their attempt to close the store last year. (and Nintendo closing their old stores soon)
And now no new emulation tech being made for the launch of this service.
And just the general passage of time and fewer people being nostalgically interested in PS3 games as years go by.

These companies are not fundamentally against removing access to some games once it becomes too inconvenient to provide it. Seems obvious that the more time passes without a solution being provided, the more likely it'd be that a solution would simply not happen and those games could just be taken off the service with the retirement of those Cell servers, like the stores for those consoles go down eventually.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony has messed up emulation for years. The PS2 emulator on the PS4 was horrible. They could do a PS3 Emulator and have it run great if they cared, but they don't.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
In the other thread there was literally a tweet from someone from DF claiming that no, it's not as easy as people seem to think.

So which is it?

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
What games are good from the PS3 Era that I'm missing out on? Trying to think of games that are great enough to port but nothing happens.

the Metal Gear Collection stuck there wounds me. I'd like to play that again. who knows, maybe I'm better off buying that shit again on Xbox.