• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dating one and have one that reports to me already.

So yes.
Not sure how you can date someone who has such abhorrent world views. Are you French? (It's a cultural thing. Conflict among lovers = good because A. It's a sign of passion and B. It provides evidence that the bond is strong since it can survive such hardships. )

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I work on an Air Force base in Georgia, so yeah. Otherwise I'd be eliminating a majority of potential candidates. Hatch Act means most people keep their political opinions to themselves.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
It ain't worth it, dude. I don't care how good it is.

Not sure how you can date someone who has such abhorrent world views. Are you French? (It's a cultural thing. Conflict among lovers = good because A. It's a sign of passion and B. It provides evidence that the bond is strong since it can survive such hardships. )

I've gone into it before but this is a quick answer, if not the full story

All you lucky fuckers that don't live in a red area where almost EVERYONE is a Trump supporter.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
So, since this thread was made, they hired a Trump supporter to work in the department. He spent the morning talking about how much he loved Trump and how the economy was great and some stuff about Hillary emails. I clenched my fist and listened to podcasts. He also usually comes in around 10:30 and went to a rave on Saturday. Cool guy.

This is why I shut down all political shit at work. Wheres your manager? You need to explain you're here to work. Don't make it about Trump or anyone else. I dont care what your politics are. I may agree with them but work is the last place I was t to hear that shit period.

Fruit

Oct 25, 2017
No, I would want people that think critically and do accurate research. That's as far as the job part goes, the other shit mentioned in this thread about bigotry also goes in here.
Supporting Trump himself carries baggage and presumptions. Doesn't have to be political, pre-presidential election Trump actions aren't much better than now.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Legally you wouldn't be able to make that call based on political affiliation, but being in a position to hire/fire, I'm sure you already knew that.
Yeah, that'd cause too many issues. Id probably just make it obvious that this is an anti-trump office or something. But If it was legal then I would not hesitate to fire someone like that.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So, since this thread was made, they hired a Trump supporter to work in the department. He spent the morning talking about how much he loved Trump and how the economy was great and some stuff about Hillary emails. I clenched my fist and listened to podcasts. He also usually comes in around 10:30 and went to a rave on Saturday. Cool guy.
LOL
Yeah, just tune them out, I don't think there's anything you can really do unless he's a bad worker.

And in some cases, not even that.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yeah, that'd cause too many issues. Id probably just make it obvious that this is an anti-trump office or something. But If it was legal then I would not hesitate to fire someone like that.

Problem is when you reverse it. The problems aren't worth it. The solution is simple: Politics should have no place at work. Unless you literally work in politics, lmao. Like for a candidate or some shit.

oops my bad lol

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 26, 2018
I don't ask. Just hire who's best for the job.

I never bring up politics at my job anyway, it's the easiest way to kill working relationships.

Jul 3, 2018
How would you even know unless you asked or if of course they walked into the interview with a MAGA hat?

Either way it would be irrelevant when factoring the qualifications.

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I've gone into it before but this is a quick answer, if not the full story

That explanation is ehhh. I mean, something that vile would be a major turn-off to me. I know you don't have sex with someone's brain or their personality, but knowing they were a supporter of literal hate-mongers?

No thanks.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Chances are they'd be far too stupid to do anything a person in my line of work would need to do, and assuredly erratic and prone to bigotry and racism, so no.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I shut down all political shit at work. Wheres your manager? You need to explain you're here to work. Don't make it about Trump or anyone else. I dont care what your politics are. I may agree with them but work is the last place I was t to hear that shit period.

I agree.

I don't talk politics at work regardless of view. It makes me uncomfortable even when people are saying things I agree with.

Just not appropriate.

Zygnosis

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Yes, politics are politics. And it would be discrimination over here, if you'd choose not to hire someone because of how he/she votes.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
Of course. It's worrying to me that anyone would say they wouldn't. And I'm as anti-Trump as they come.

There are a gazillion reasons someone might support Trump, and some aren't totally reprehensible.

blakeseven

Apr 9, 2018
Problem is when you reverse it. The problems aren't worth it. The solution is simple: Politics should have no place at work. Unless you literally work in politics, lmao. Like for a candidate or some shit.

Fuck that noise - I'm not ok with nazis at work and I wouldn't be ok with trump supporters either. I'd find a way to get that trump fucker out asap, in legal ways of course.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
I don't give a rat's face who my coworkers are voting for, it's not like I live with the motherfuckers. If they turn out to be a shitty worker, bam they're fired, on to the next.

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
There literally isn't one reason that isn't reprehensible.

Come on, that's ridiculous.

For example: if you're a coal miner or from a coal mining family and you're a single issue voter (like so many Americans), you might back Trump because he sings the song you want to hear. You can disagree with that person or say they should take a broader view or should take more things into account or whatever - i.e., you DISAGREE with them, but that isn't a tiki-torch wielding neo nazi. You could be a religious person who feels very deeply abortion is murder and all you care about is reversing Roe v. Wade so you're holding your nose and supporting Trump. You could work for an insurance company and think the ACA is going to ruin your business, etc etc etc... these are all things you might disagree with STRONGLY, but they aren't "reprehensible", they aren't the positions of evil people necessarily.

I don't agree with... almost anything coming from this administration. But to demonize every single person who backed or backs the guy without getting into the whats and whys is too far.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
If there's a significant gap in qualifications between them and the next candidate and it's a role where qualifications actually matter rather than just being a convenience, yeah.

It's a pretty easy way to thin out a pool of similar applicants, though.

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I would not hire anyone who felt the need to bring up their love or hate for any political party during an interview. If they're showing that much of a need to talk about hotbed issues at all moments, it just smells of future problems.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Fuck that noise - I'm not ok with nazis at work and I wouldn't be ok with trump supporters either. I'd find a way to get that trump fucker out asap, in legal ways of course.

I mean, people like you are why I don't talk politics at all at work. And why I don't put anything political in my social media feeds.

Don't tow the line 100% in the direction your supervisor's ideology goes? You're evil and will be cut off from advancement while never admitting it's due to politics. Nope. Fuck that. You'd never know if I were a "nazi" in the office cause I wouldn't discuss my vote with you.

I would not hire anyone who felt the need to bring up their love or hate for any political party during an interview. If they're showing that much of a need to talk about hotbed issues at all moments, it just smells of future problems.

This is a sensible position since politics don't belong at work.

They all support white supremacy

Do you pay taxes? If so I have some bad news for you.......

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
The only way you can still be a Trump supporter and not be complicit in his casual racism / sexism / xenophobia is if you voted for him and then became a hermit for the past two years.

If you watch / read the news regularly and you're still a Trump supporter then you're a deplorable...there's no way around it.

I'm saying this as a former Republican, who also has a bunch of former-Republican friends. I don't think everyone who voted for Bush was a deplorable...but Trump is on a whole different level entirely.

Honestly, anyone voting for him after he said "Grab 'em by the pussy" on tape is already complicit.

People - i.e., voters - compartmentalize. They will pick a thing that is the most important issue to them above all others. If you think abortion is murder - like a lot of people I went to Catholic school with do - then you can say look he's a piece of shit BUT infants are being murdered and this is a chance to get some supreme court picks and maybe do something about it, and that is more important than all the rest because Trump will be gone someday but hey, lifetime appointments to the court. That's ONE example. And I won't speak for you but personally? If we were living in an America where abortion was a federal offense and a known piece of shit was up for election that promised to seat justices that would overturn that, yeah maybe I'd vote for a piece of shit too.

I'm registered as an independent but typically vote Dem. I am left leaning on most issues. After these past couple of years, I can't even conceive of voting for a Republican ever again, even if he was running for dogcatcher. But demonizing everyone who backed or backs Trump without getting into why and recognizing some of them - some! - have very human, understandable motivations and are supporting certain policies, not the man is not only willfully ignorant, it's a problem - because we need to show a lot of those people that there's room for them on our side.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Come on, that's ridiculous.

For example: if you're a coal miner or from a coal mining family and you're a single issue voter (like so many Americans), you might back Trump because he sings the song you want to hear. You can disagree with that person or say they should take a broader view or should take more things into account or whatever - i.e., you DISAGREE with them, but that isn't a tiki-torch wielding neo nazi. You could be a religious person who feels very deeply abortion is murder and all you care about is reversing Roe v. Wade so you're holding your nose and supporting Trump. You could work for an insurance company and think the ACA is going to ruin your business, etc etc etc... these are all things you might disagree with STRONGLY, but they aren't "reprehensible", they aren't the positions of evil people necessarily.

I don't agree with... almost anything coming from this administration. But to demonize every single person who backed or backs the guy without getting into the whats and whys is too far.
Nope.

Every example you cite is reprehensible. And you don't need to be a Nazi to be reprehensible.

-Being married to coal is a reprehensible position.

-Believing that abortion is "murder" IS a reprehensible position. Also, how does being "deeply religious" square with voting for an admitted sexual abuser and known liar?

-Scapegoating healthcare for worry over your business is a reprehensible position.

If you still support T***p and this administration, you're an objectively evil person and you're incompatible with a healthy working environment. You support putting children in cages, the rolling back of environmental protections and lurching the country backwards with regards to civil rights, just to name a few.

Deleted member 11173

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wowza some of the responses. I think people have become one issue voters. For/Against abortion, gun rights, gay marriage. I don't think if you are Republican you are automatically dumb or racist. I think it's dangerous to blanket all Trump supporters.

Anywho people have rights no matter how dumb they are.

I wouldn't hire anyone that is unwilling to hear or be empathetic toward a view that is different from their own regardless of their political ideology.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wowza some of the responses. I think people have become one issue voters. For/Against abortion, gun rights, gay marriage. I don't think if you are Republican you are automatically dumb or racist. I think it's dangerous to blanket all Trump supporters.

Anywho people have rights no matter how dumb they are.

I wouldn't hire anyone that is unwilling to hear or be empathetic toward a view that is different from their own regardless of their political ideology.
Being against marriage equality, for the caging of children, or for the destruction of the environment aren't legitimate political differences that deserve to be treated with empathy or respect.

Oct 25, 2017
Like everyone else said, if it's a job that doesn't require good judgement and critical thinking skills, then sure. Otherwise, most likely no, unless they have a mind-blowingly good résumé. Nevertheless, there's strictly no racism or misogyny in the workplace allowed, and if they attend those alt-right/Nazi rallies like Charlottesville then it's bye bye.

Obviously, this is how I'd like it to be. I'm sure if I was in a position to hire/fire, my priorities would be different. Thankfully I live in Canada in a big city, so hopefully I'll never have to deal with a Republican.

Last edited:

ConanEdogawa

Oct 31, 2017
Yes, if they would be a good employee. I don't hate people or refuse to associate with them just because they have different opinions than I do.