• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not ignoring that. What you fail to realize is that if we start hiring people based off of their personal beliefs no on is going to hire anyone. Most people don't agree on everything, especially politics. What you and others are suggesting is that it would be ok to not hire someone based off who they voted for. Don't you see that slippery sloped Another company could not hire someone because they think another way. This is why we have rules and regulations setup so things like this don't happen. You should not talk about politics at work and you should not hire/not hire someone based off their politics unless it explicitly related to the job. If they are truly a shitty person then that will come out in the interview or in the work place and they will not be there much longer anyway.

Listen I don't agree with Trump at all but in order to protect ourselves we have to play by the rules even if it isn't always in favor of our personal beliefs. Let me give you a personal example because I actually am a hiring manager. Two things you don't talk about at work are politics and religion, right? Well I happen to be an atheist. I don't agree with religion, I personally think it does a lot of harm to people and that it's not a great thing. I hire religious people all the time and honor their religious obligations because it's the right thing to do and it's the law. It doesn't matter what I personally think. If a guy like me only vetted people that thought like me I would be turning down amazing candidates and would be a bigot for doing so. I also would have a terrible time filling the position. Also people can change and adapt their point of view. There's plenty of people that voted for Trump that now regret it. Just turning people away will only further push them into an echo chamber and not help them see why diversity matters and mature their opinion.
"They just didn't seem like a good cultural fit."

It's not that fucking hard.

Oct 25, 2017
The premise of the thread is that you magically just know. It's right there in the OP.

Everyone hiding behind the idea "it wouldn't come up in an interview" is a coward.

I mean shit, had I had this magical clairvoyance...I'd follow the exact same idea that I do without it. Since this magical land doesn't exist, I'll illustrate exactly what I look for and then by all means, point out my cowardice.

I manage a credit union. My membership base is renters living within the city limits, primarily low-to-moderate income, primarily credit-challenged (my average FICO for new members YTD is a shade under 620. Being a CU, we pull credit and collect income/housing information as part of our membership opening process-- data is a good thing as we can tailor our offerings to what makes the most sense for our membership).

In addition to the standard customer service requirements for someone in a client-facing role, I expect my ideal candidate to:
  • focus on fiscal education and lead with service rather than sales
  • show either practical experience working in LMI areas or an educational background in finance
  • be someone who is driven by success of the team and the member base as we're not a bonus-driven organization
  • be someone with the creativity to look at a credit report in our range and the capability to make recommendations to improve our members' quality of life. We don't operate for profit so my concerns are by no means what the most profitable loan is for us, but rather what will be the best assistance to the good of our membership
Now, without "magically just knowing", draw out your Venn diagram of the Trump supporter persona and the candidate that would fit my requirements. From there, take a moment to imagine how I was able to ascertain that total lack of overlap without asking or "magically just knowing" their political affiliation.

There's definitely cowardice in this thread though-- we just see different examples.

Last edited:

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the people in this thread are talking about Trump voters, which is wrong. The OP is talking about Trump *supporters*, there is a difference.

If you're still a Trump *supporter* at this point in time, and I knew, there would be absolutely no way I would hire you.

And yes I'm an employer, and I know many other employers that feel the same way.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you genuinely think anyone was "tricked" into voting for Trump you are extremely misguided.

No, I'm really not. And there are plenty of interviews with people up on sites like YouTube that go into depth as to why they regret voting for him. Also I should remind you there is an active case going on right now about how Russia meddled with the election to literally trick people into voting for Trump with fake news to benefit them.

Trying walking in the shoes of someone Trump supporters hate or look down on and have that same energy.

You mean my family?

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
It depends. I do technical interviews and recommend hiring based on technical knowledge. Other people do a more personal interview when they check if the person can work as a team, and understand the values of the company.
I dont know in the US, but it is prohibited here to even ask for his political affiliation to start with, so unless he starts talking about politics you will not find out but after he was hired.
If I knew well in advance, it would depend of what kind of job that person is supposed to do.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I wouldnt hire a Nazi and broken down to core ideology Trump supporters are just a modern version of Nazis, so no i wouldnt hire anyone like that. I believe that they would have to be either very stupid or very malicious people to support Trump. Neither is something I can use at work.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
No, I'm really not. And there are plenty of interviews with people up on sites like YouTube that go into depth as to why they regret voting for him. Also I should remind you there is an active case going on right now about how Russia meddled with the election to literally trick people into voting for Trump with fake news to benefit them.
It's convenient for these interviewees to talk about "I thought Trump would lower my taxes" and not bring up the part where "oh yeah also I'm racist."

We knew exactly who Trump was for years before he was even running. He has a history of racism and discrimination going back decades. Anyone who voted for him either knew that and voted for him anyway, or were so severely underinformed that I can't imagine wanting to hire them for anything significant.

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I mean it's very unethical to not hire based on that, but at the same time if they brought up that they're a trump supporter in an interview I'd be like... "why? why would you say that?" There would probably be other red flags in that case.

Just a standard republican? Sure. Most republicans I know are really good people... help out at homeless shelters, give to many charities, do Habitat for Humanity stuff, and just generally volunteer their time for their community all the time. They just want the government out of all of that and put it on the people to do it. I now a few scumbag republicans but the good heavily outweigh the bad, so I think I'd definitely hire a regular republican as long as they're a good person.
I find it funny that these Republicans want the government out of places like homeless shelters and habitat for humanity when they wouldn't exist without the government. They're all subsidized by the government in one way or another, even if they dont take funds directly.
Republicans can be "nice" but they're dumb as rocks.
Plus, they continually vote for people that would rather euthanize the poor than help them.
They're actions are completely contradictory.

Oct 25, 2017

You mean my family?
Your family, but not you?

ΑGITΩ

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I guess if it affects the work environment. Actually had this issue today. Though politics is not supposed to be discussed in most work environments, it still happens. 2 out of my 5 person team are trump supporters, one more than the other. But today he walked out on the job because he couldnt take the critism on his dude in office, everything either myself (a Puerto Rican) and my other coworker (a black female) said would be "wrong" or just too much drinking of the fake news Koolaide. He even believes that the near 3000 dead in PR is just a liberal media conspiracy because "where are the bodies?". Im all for debates but it was just constant "youre wrong" and no real discussion to be had.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I guess if it affects the work environment. Actually had this issue today. Though politics is not supposed to be discussed in most work environments, it still happens. 2 out of my 5 person team are trump supporters, one more than the other. But today he walked out on the job because he couldnt take the critism on his dude in office, everything either myself (a Puerto Rican) and my other coworker (a black female) said would be "wrong" or just too much drinking of the fake news Koolaide. He even believes that the near 3000 dead in PR is just a liberal media conspiracy because "where are the bodies?". Im all for debates but it was just constant "youre wrong" and no real discussion to be had.
This is pretty much the line to be drawn, I think. Someone so ardent a supporter of anything that they would leave a job on a whim because they can't take criticism is toxic regardless of what it's about. I'm assuming the other Trump supporter is a bit more mellow about it and at least understands and accepts the criticism?

There are plenty in my office that are definitely Trump supporters and most of them I have no problems working with because they're not the alt-right posterchildren for all of the things wrong with the extreme right. Once in a while they'll show their colors, but not in a terrible "I cannot work with this person" fashion. It's entirely possible to support something perceived as terrible and not be a complete piece of crap.

ΑGITΩ

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This is pretty much the line to be drawn, I think. Someone so ardent a supporter of anything that they would leave a job on a whim because they can't take criticism is toxic regardless of what it's about. I'm assuming the other Trump supporter is a bit more mellow about it and at least understands and accepts the criticism?

There are plenty in my office that are definitely Trump supporters and most of them I have no problems working with because they're not the alt-right posterchildren for all of the things wrong with the extreme right. Once in a while they'll show their colors, but not in a terrible "I cannot work with this person" fashion. It's entirely possible to support something perceived as terrible and not be a complete piece of crap.
The other will toss her 2 cents, but she'll watch what she says to the group because even ive had to do a double take on some of the things. Her defense is that its how she was raised (shes a 55 year old white woman) and had admitted she didnt vote for Obama because she believed him to be the Anti-Christ, didnt like his name, and votes Faith first. And you know, republicans are the Party of Faith.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
The other will toss her 2 cents, but she'll watch what she says to the group because even ive had to do a double take on some of the things. Her defense is that its how she was raised (shes a 55 year old white woman) and had admitted she didnt vote for Obama because she believed him to be the Anti-Christ, didnt like his name, and votes Faith first. And you know, republicans are the Party of Faith.
Oy.

At least she understands her positions on things and how they reflect. Also acknowledges how they're raised, because, unfortunately, mixing you religion and political views is a nasty habit because they are part of who you are. The Obama stuff is silly, though.

At least she's a good example of why it can be bad to do what many in this thread are saying.