• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Accounts do work cross xbox/switch/PC, but the instant you log into PS4 its locked on there.
No, they should work across PS4, XB1, PC, Switch, Mobile, but Epic doesn't want to do the work. That's on them. Why can everybody else make that work, but not Epic? Don't give Epic a complete pass, as they've ignored their fans in pointing out this issue for over a year.

ThanksVision

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony is the worst for this. It would be amazing if my BP progress, rank, and cosmetics all carried over, but of course not.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's petty, but I refuse to buy a ps4 until sony gets their heads out of their asses with regards to crossplay

MacSalty

May 4, 2018
Once again, I appreciate the course correction. I thought I'd read that other accounts weren't working either. My bad all. Sorry :(

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Where is everyone's proof that this is Sony's fault? This is an Epic problem or a Nintendo problem. Not a Sony problem.

Edit: cured my own ignorance. Thanks to those who also helped me unscrew my head from my butt
Because Epic has said it is a platform owner restriction. Normally it's not a problem because other games don't have cross progression. Most of the other F2P games give you a one time account transfer and from then on the PC and Console versions are separate.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
Destiny is not cross platform. You can have one Fortnite account shared across PS4/PC/iOS and all purchases are shared. You could have spent hundreds on Fortnite PC, booted up PS4 Fornite once, and now your account can't transfer anything to Switch. If you had never booted the PS4 version, your Fortnite PC purchases would transfer to Switch. It doesn't just penalize PS4-only players. I've purchased most of my stuff in the iOS version.
Cool thanks for the response. Was just wondering why people seem this agitated here when I didn't initially see the difference between this and Destiny.

Though I still think Destiny is only that way for bs Bungie reasons.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, decided to create an account to play on Switch and fucked myself as the first thing I did was sign in with PSN though I never even played on intended to play on PS4.

GitarooMan

Oct 27, 2017
The problem really seems to be Epic's account system. There should be a layer where you have separate purchases (or even stats if necessary) on PSN vs. Xbox, etc., but can still link the same Epic account to both. It's sort of a a stupid oversight.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is locked at the Epic acct level, not just Fortnite. I've never played Fortnite on my PS4, never downloaded it, didn't want to be tied to PlayStation, but since I linked my Epic acct to a PSN acct all of my Unreal Engine purchases are locked to an acct that bars Xbox and apparently Switch connectivity.

Fuck Sony on this bullshit.

I don't remember being warned that by being part of the Paragon Alpha I was going to get locked out of Xbox and Switch titles becuase Sony has an extremely fucked up policy to protect their own bottom line at my expense.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Due to the hostile backlash this is receiving, I'm surprised Sony hasn't come out with some kind of explanation to nip this in the bud. The cross play block is a dick move, but I get it from a business point of view.

This however is a ultimate dick move. Sony better have a good reason, otherwise they just come across as petty.

Oct 30, 2017
No, Epic should easily be able to make their accounts work on any platform like anybody else that has a separate account system for their multiplatform games (WB, Bethesda, EA, Ubisoft, Hi-Rez, etc), but they don't care. Progress and such doesn't have to carry over at all. Just store that data separately, but they've been telling their fans on the forums to just make a new account like that's a reasonable solution.
I dont think you understand, like at all. This is 100% Sony's decision and not Epic's.

Sony is preventing this, there is no discussion to have in regards to who's decision this is. There is plenty of discussion to have in regards to our feelings about it.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how you can blame Epic when they "accidentally" enabled XB1/PS4 crossplay twice in the past year and have been yelled at to turn it off by Sony both times

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Epic is the worst. They need to fix their stupid account system before trying to tout this game as being cross-platform, but they don't care what their players want.

Well considering the screenshot in the OP is a message from Epic stating that there is nothing more they can do to fix the issue, I'm inclined to believe the problem isn't Epic lol

Edit: Lot of mental backflips going on in here from people trying to defend Sony.

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
My kids are gonna be upset about this, they've bought stuff om the PS4 version that I guess won't carry over. That's shit.

jschreier I hope you guys take them to task for this

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
So what part of "protecting players" is this? Sony flat out hijacking people's digital items if they dare to play on another platform?

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Wait...so let's say I never played on PS4, only PC. If I link and login my PC acct on Switch, and then later played on PS4 I'm good?

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is super dumb but I don't buy skins at the moment so it's not pressing atm for me

But is cross play with non PS4 confirmed? I can play with Xbox friends today?

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
I made my account on PC at launch and tried PS4 later for a bit and I can't login on Switch.

All accounts. If you've ever linked your Epic Games account with PSN, you're fucked. Whether you made it on PC, Xbox, iOS, whatever.

If you've ever used the account on PS4/linked to PSN, no matter the origin.

If you ever linked your account to PSN it is locked in. It doesn't matter if you made it on the PC first.

If you linked your Epic Account with PSN, no matter which way. You are locked from connecting with Switch or any other non-PC platform.

I created my Epic account on PC to play Shadow Complex before moving to Paragon and then Fortnite, so it doesn't matter.

Thanks guys. Updated my post to include the clarifications. That's a terrible decision on Sony's part. It locks people accounts down for no reason other than Sony's stubbornness. Normally I would not care, but the huge investments of time and money people put into their accounts do matter.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Cool thanks for the response. Was just wondering why people seem this agitated here when I didn't initially see the difference between this and Destiny.

Though I still think Destiny is only that way for bs Bungie reasons.
Honestly Destiny isn't affected because they don't carry anything over between platforms. Anytime you log in to a new platform it is a new instance. If I remember right they ran into this with the D1 to D2 though where your character didn't carryover if it started on a different console unless you stayed in the same ecosystem.

Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm just one person, but I'm not renewing my PS Plus subscription for the first time ever. Love their first party developers, but their current business leaders come off as condescending with practices like this. Hopefully this is the game that forces them to change.

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, are we sure this doesn't happen with Xbox? People on Twitter are saying this happens with an Xbox linked account too.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
I was wondering why this was happening. I had my PC account linked with my Xbox account and all my free Twitch prime skins were redeemed on both platforms and I had cross-progression however when I tried to link my PSN account it wouldn't let me and asked me to make a new EPIC account. Now I know at least.
As far as I've seen you can have cross-progression on PC, Xbox, Switch and mobile on the same EPIC account right?

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I played some on PS4. Luckily I didn't buy anything, and I think I used a burner email to try it out. This is fuckin bullshit though. Gonna be mad if that account is linked to my primary email.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
What's important to realize here is that closed platforms are designed to allow the platform holder to fuck you over.
Especially once you've bought into them. And the more you buy in, the harder it gets to break out.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
What happens if you use your Fortnite account on Xbox/PC/Switch and then PS4? Will the PS4 then take priority and then lock you out of the first 3?

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: System Wars
Maybe it's petty, but I refuse to buy a ps4 until sony gets their heads out of their asses with regards to crossplay

Crossplay.
EA Access.
Mod support.
Backwards Compat.

There are a slew of things Sony can do much better on, but.. they got exclusives, right?

Oct 30, 2017
Wait...so let's say I never played on PS4, only PC. If I link and login my PC acct on Switch, and then later played on PS4 I'm good?
No, the moment you every link your Epic account to a PS4, Fornite will never work after that on Switch or XB1, even if it did prior.

What happens if you use your Fortnite account on Xbox/PC/Switch and then PS4? Will the PS4 then take priority and then lock you out of the first 3?

Presumably yes, exactly this.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, are we sure this doesn't happen with Xbox? People on Twitter are saying this happens with an Xbox linked account too.
No, it's only PSN.

Xbox/Switch/PC/Mobile all allow it fine. There's plenty of people in the other Switch thread that have got their Xbox stuff over successfully.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really play multiplayer games, so it doesn't affect me much, but why would I ever want to play multiplayer games on a Sony platform if this is what they do?