• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sheentak

Oct 25, 2017
Was thinking about this lately here's the scenario your political party is in power and screwed up massively. Like bankrupted the country or done something really shady would you vote for the opposition.
It's especially interesting and spicy if your part of a two party political system. Like I know majority of Era is democratics but would you actually vote for a republican even if the Democrats destroyed the encomy /done very shady things?

Being in the UK there's a host of smaller parties I could definitely vote for as I don't think I could ever vote for the Tories but I'm very interested of what you would do in this scenario.

Namiks

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I would vote for the party that genuinely seems to have everyone's future in mind.

If my main party screwed up enough to make me feel they could not deliver on that, then yeah.

Oct 30, 2017
I think that the MP that we have is as close to my way of thinking as she possibly could be without being part of the party that I vote for.

If she changed sides (Tory to Labour), she would be perfect. As it is, I think I would vote for her, if there was something that she was involved in locally that was important to me.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If i felt voting for an opposing party would benefit the most citizens then i'd have no issue with it. Having said that i couldn't ever see myself voting for a right wing party as i just disagree on a fundamental level with that type of ideology, we do have three left/left-leaning parties and one right here in Canada. Even our conservative party isn't really all that conservative compared to America's.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Luckily we have more than one party, but yeah I'm deeply disapointed how my party of choice handled the last outcome of the election, so I'm not against switching my vote next elextion

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
It depends really. No one is guaranteed my vote just because of their party affiliations. I've voted none of the above before when there is no reasonable option(NJ politicians smh), but most times it comes down to lesser of 2 evils.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
If they betrayed what I thought they stood for, they would certainly lose my vote. It depends on other parties if I believe they represent my ideas and beliefs better. This is easier if you live in a country with only two real choices

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I will, probably, because I'm not particularly happy with my current government. My country has more than two parties though.

Oct 25, 2017
Depends, really. At this point I just want rid of the Tories so would probably be willing to vote in whoever's left of them who has a chance in my constituency.

Always an interesting game as to what makes a party unviable to a person. So many hit pieces and FAKE NEWS flying around, but at the same time is easy to be blind to the faults of your team.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of what could possibly make me vote for Trump.

Oh, Trump changes parties and wins the democratic nomination. And the R nominee is like, Sandoval.

Sounds plausible.

We have an option of NOTA in case the party you voted betrayed you and the other party is doing the same.

What country?

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Of course not, I have a fucking spine. I'd rather look for smaller alternatives and keep voting in good conscience.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what the opposition is. It could be worse, so.. ?
There are some parties here (France) I know I will never vote for because they're garbage at their core, and they even represent themselves with garbage people

Tounsi_Tag

Oct 29, 2017
Since I don't live in a country that only has two binary parties it's much easier for me .
The parties I would rally behind are similar in structure and beliefs with minor differences. They're fragmanted and if one of them screws up hard I can easily shift to other alternatives.

Oct 25, 2017
Since I don't live in a country with 2 parties it's easier to hop. Problem would be if all the parties that aligned someway with me betrayed what they stood for.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Only if there was some proven factual evidence that they were insanely corrupt and causing terrible things to happen.
I don't even vote for democrats specifically, it's just that everyone else is garbage. No way in hell I'll be voting for a republican anytime soon though.

Oct 25, 2017
Be careful- in 2010 I lived in Sutton and voted Lib Dem with that idea. Didn't play out too well!

I'm one of those who thinks the Lib Dems got properly shafted, having to take more of the blame in that coalition than the people in the driving seat. When you're the minority in a coalition it's pretty hard to stick to your manifesto. But then maybe I'm proving my point, giving them the benefit of the doubt because they're the more agreeable party to me...

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of those who thinks the Lib Dems got properly shafted, having to take more of the blame in that coalition than the people in the driving seat. When you're the minority in a coalition it's pretty hard to stick to your manifesto. But then maybe I'm proving my point, giving them the benefit of the doubt because they're the more agreeable party to me...

Oh, complete agree. The one thing that annoyed me was Clegg saying there was no alternative.

Oct 25, 2017
..No? What?
What kind of logic is this lol, there can be parties that are mostly very similar in most views but differ in minor things.

The question is asking if you vote for a party and they f' it up would you vote for another party. "There are more than 2 parties" is irrelevant to answering that question.

And yes they are all in opposition. It doesn't matter if two party align 99% the time, they are still competing for votes.

Jack Remington

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Republicans in their current form? Fuck no. Maybe when McConnell has kicked the bucket. No amount of screwing up the economy can match the sheer evil that emanates from that man. ISIS leaders are better than Mitch.

ctj

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area, California
I can't in good conscience vote for the current republican party, so if the dems somehow became even worse than them I would vote 3rd party.

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
im gonna go with the candidates reply. Because often if a party screws up there would be primary challengers who say they screwed up vote for me. But yes I can def shift away from a candidate based on mess ups and a party if it keeps towing an untenable line .

Palas

Oct 29, 2017
That's not really relevant to the question. If doesn't matter how many other parties there are, they are all opposition.

Not necessarily, no. There being a lot of parties means you may have more than one option for your ideology. Not that a muti-party, coalition government system doesn't have its problems, but "having to vote for the opposition" isn't one.

Unless you're a member of the party in question, but I don't suppose all that many people have political party membership here?

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If "my party" pushes comgress for universal healthcare, but there s a huge sex scandal, would I vote for the party that wants healthcare to be a business model?

No.

Its kind of immature to do something like that imo.

Youre not ultimately voting for a president, or a governor, or a senator. You're voting for the shape of your government.

Only reason you should do something like that is if you personally change your political outlook, or if there is a viable alternative option to your original one.

Deleted member 8197

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If I voted Conservative I'm fairly sure I would actually combust on the spot.

Mind you, I voted Lib Dem in 2010 and look how that turned out...

Crocks

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My vote is totally up for grabs. I've historically only ever voted for a) funny joke people or b) the Tories, but I've always been on the classical-liberal wing of the party rather than the actual conservative part, and their paternal, socially-conservative, poverty-moralising stuff is absolutely driving me away. That said, I can't bring myself to vote for a Labour party fronted by Corbyn, and the Lib Dems are in such a pointless place that I think I'll just go back to voting for joke parties to help them get their deposits back.

snail_maze

Oct 27, 2017
I switch votes depending on the election. There are more than two available to choose from thankfully where I live

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

Although only two parties have a realistic chance of gaining enough seats for form a government and a vote in my constituency is wasted (it hasn't changed hands since its creation in 1974), we have smaller parties that have broken deadlocks in coalitions and minority governments in recent years. I'm happy to vote with my conscience even if it won't really make a difference.

I've voted in four general elections and am yet to vote for the same party in two consecutive elections.

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando, FL
No, I would not. I'm in the US and the Republican party has proven time and time again that they are incapable of governing, so I could not in good conscience vote for them.

Jack Remington

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If "my party" pushes comgress for universal healthcare, but there s a huge sex scandal, would I vote for the party that wants healthcare to be a business model?

No.

Its kind of immature to do something like that imo.

Youre not ultimately voting for a president, or a governor, or a senator. You're voting for the shape of your government.

It kind of depends.

Like if Cory Booker was the 2020 candidate, and it came out that he was a rapist, I'd have a hard time casting that vote. Ultimately I'd want him replaced by the VP on the ticket immediately.

If he had an affair or some shit, who the fuck cares?

I do think there's a point at which you cannot in good conscience cast a vote for someone. I almost sympathize with Republicans who felt they had to vote Trump, but he should have been replaced with Pence as soon as the NBC tape came out.

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of choices in Finland, so yeah I'll switch if my choice does something stupid.

It's a bit different in two-party systems like US and UK. You don't really have a choice, although in the US you can try to pick a better candidate in primaries. Not sure how the parties choose candidates in UK.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
It would be... difficult in America. The Dem screwup would have to be massive to outweigh Republican, you know, evil. If there were polling that showed some third party having a chance, I could jump ship to them, or if the GOP massively reformed itself, but as things stand right now it would be hard to find a situation where voting against the Democrat would be the right thing to do.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
I would likely vote for a third party that has no chance of winning. I would not be able to vote for an opposition party that is the exact opposite of all of my political beliefs

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
Not by definition, no, but if it actually makes the other party a better choice, then yes.

The problem right no for me (in Sweden) is that none of our parties feel all that palatable to me right now. Guess I have a year to decide which is the lesser evil.

Saatchquatch

Oct 27, 2017
I'd have no problem voting for the Scottish National Party or the Liberal Democrats if Labour were in power and messed everything up (or the Greens if they actually put a candidate forward in my area and had more than a cat in hells chance of winning the seat).

The Tories though? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that noise. I'd sooner jump into the North Sea and swim to Canada.
I can't swim.

Why Canada? They say the word "aboot" the same way I do so I feel like they'd understand me as a person and protect me like I was a baby bear.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
My simple answer is yes. If a group I was planning on voting for screws up and/or does something I truly don't agree with I will vote opposition.

But then again It seems like I'm always voting in a different primary.

Namiks

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is exactly how I try to make political choices. I try to think of the common good. So I'm having the community that I live with in mind, not just myself, when casting the vote.

It's the best the way forward. We're not alone; many could easily suffer as a result of your vote.