• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rant and semi-drunk thread.

I'm on my ride omw home and I'm kinda frustrated because this party was described as "Classic 2000s rock songs", which was completely up my vibe. I got there expecting some RHCP, Arctic Monkeys, Green Day, Linkin Park, Foo Fighters, The Strokes, QOTSA, etc...

For the first 2 hours we got that, and I had a complete blast to the point my blood pressure even dropped. After the first 2 hours I guess the DJs switched shifts and we literally got only Avril Lavigne, Maroon 5, Bruno Mars, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry etc for the rest of the party (which lasted for 5 more hours, clearly pop being the majority of songs being played).

NOWHERE was said there was going to have pop songs, only Classic Rock, and that completely sucked, totally killed my vibe. God damnit please describe your party correctly so I don't waste time and money and seeing that's not for me because you didn't stick to what you goddamn wrote in your party's description.

Rant over.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Why didn't you just leave once they stopped playing Blink 182? 7 hours seems a bit extreme.

OP
OP
Marossi

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why didn't you just leave once they stopped playing Blink 182? 7 hours seems a bit extreme.
That's pretty normal for parties over here to last all night long and only finish when the sun comes up.

I didn't left earlier because I'm trying to stop leaving parties early and missing out on some great opportunities of having fun. I was pretty ok with pop songs being played for the first hours or so, but when it became apparent the rest of the night was only going to be that then I got annoyed. Also missed on some opportunities to make friends because my vibe got murdered and I had no more incentive to get out of the comfort zone and make friends with strangers.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
That's pretty normal for parties over here to last all night long and only finish when the sun comes up.

I didn't left earlier because I'm trying to stop leaving parties early and missing out on some great opportunities of having fun. I was pretty ok with pop songs being played for the first hours or so, but when it became apparent the rest of the night was only going to be that then I got annoyed. Also missed on some opportunities to make friends because my vibe got murdered and I had no more incentive to get out of the comfort zone and make friends with strangers.
Odd because during the boring music that would have been incentive to bring the fun back by talking to people and getting to know them, maybe starting off on validation that the music sucked later on or someone also not in the 2000s pop vibes. Oh well.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
As someone else who lets minor things irritate them disproportionately, I feel your pain OP. Fuck that DJ and the Vespa they rode in on. And/or whomever told them to swap genres.

OP
OP
Marossi

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Odd because during the boring music that would have been incentive to bring the fun back by talking to people and getting to know them, maybe starting off on validation that the music sucked later on or someone also not in the 2000s pop vibes. Oh well.
Well, let's say I'm not good on social cues of when I should be trying to socialize and I have to make an effort to get out of the comfort zone, also didn't help that my blood pressure dropped.

This whole party seems odd to me. Perhaps i am out of touch.

It's probably a cultural thing. Brazil parties especially downtown Sao Paulo last all night long with generally defined themes/genres beforehand.

Last edited:

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
Well since "classic 2000s rock songs" is an oxymoron that should've been your first clue. Everyone knows the only classic rock is from my generation.

-Old man yelling at cloud

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
Well, i think you've listened to the entirety of classic rock songs from the 2000s, which last exactly 2 hours...

OP
OP
Marossi

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, i think you've listened to the entirety of classic rock songs from the 2000s, which last exactly 2 hours...
Damn you got me

No but seriously, the peak of the party was Can't Stop by RHCP and Take me Out by Franz Ferdinand.

They played like maybe 2 songs tops for each major 2000s rock bands. Meanwhile Maroon 5 got a whole setlist dedicated to them. Just so frustating.

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a party for people who still call themselves "real 90's kids" even though they're like 35 lol. House/Club parties are especially lame. You gotta spend your Friday nights at concerts and festivals where cool bands are actually playing. Live band with kickass lead guitar and drums > Party DJ that presses a couple buttons on their MacBook

Last edited:

RedBlue

Oct 27, 2017
Queens, NY
It's probably a cultural thing. Brazil parties especially downtown Sao Paulo last all night long with generally defined themes/genres beforehand.

Parties here can last all night. And we have themed parties as well. But they are not strict and it would be odd for someone to get bent out of shape for not adhering to the theme so closely, especially later in the party.

as for you, you seem disappointed because i assume you are really into what the theme was this time, but they only brought their B game, playing only a little of what they could've.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Who cares? Why are there so many of these useless shit posts lately? Isn't there a thread for random stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Who cares? Why are there so many of these useless shit posts lately? Isn't there a thread for random stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread?

This deserves its own thread, let people have their threads good lord.

You want this to be locked for "not good for discussion" or whatever the fuck they're closing threads for these days? Jesus H Christ. It's a community let people commune!!!

OP
OP
Marossi

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
as for you, you seem disappointed because i assume you are really into what the theme was this time, but they only brought their B game, playing only a little of what they could've
It's more like false advertising what your party is all about. Almost everyone prefer's a genre over another and once you advertise your party as rock themed or whatever and literally play pop songs for the majority of your party then I'm gonna have a bone to pick with you.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Waste money? Did you pay some kind of entry fee?
When I read "your party", it sounds like I'm having a private party with some kind of theme. There may be loads of people, but it's not something people waste money on, is my point.
Do you mean a public event? If so, I get being frustrated with the music.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Going to any party, you'd best expect bland generic focus-grouped, manufactured pop or be prepared to be disappointed. The kind of people to go to a normal party aren't usually the type to listen to real music.

OP
OP
Marossi

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Waste money? Did you pay some kind of entry fee?
When I read "your party", it sounds like I'm having a private party with some kind of theme. Do you meana public event? If so, I get being frustrated with the music.
There was a low entry fee but when I mean waste money I also mean Taxi/Uber rides that prices skyrock during these hours.

And yes, it was a public event. I have no problem if it's a private party with friends.

OP
OP
Marossi

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going to any party, you'd best expect bland generic focus-grouped, manufactured pop or be prepared to be disappointed. The kind of people to go to a normal party aren't usually the type to listen to real music.
I mean, I have gone to several parties before where they sticked to the theme of the party, this was a new place that I went to go and see whats all about and the first time I experiencied something like this.

Look at this:

lEcIAoC.png

(Removed the establishment logo for privacy)

This was what they used to promote the party, when you literally advertise your party with Bowie's face and I can't even remember if they played a single Bowie's song, then I'm going to be annoyed. I don't care if this is lame or I look psycho or whatever, It's just so annoying.