• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I just finished the game at around 50 hours total put into the title.
7OcNP6B.png

The OT is sitting at a paltry 30 posts and the game came out 10 days ago, I've posted there, though I feel like the lack of word of mouth for it has really driven me to want to spread the good word to those who might not bat an eye at the game without proper introduction.

It's mind blowing to me the gap in the high level of quality vs. the small level of discussion with this new indie game, especially with how many people I see out there dying to see a proper Paper Mario sequel. Hell, even die hard Paper Mario advocate Arlo has only briefly mentioned it on Twitter.

Paper Mario and the sequel are two of my favorite games ever made, I mean just check out my avatar. I play both those titles to completion at least once a year, and I can't say enough positive things about them. Just recently (as you've obviously gathered by this thread) Bug Fables released on Steam to little fanfare, and after having completed it, I can safetly say it might even surpass those titles for me.

Bug Fables has everything I love about Paper Mario, with the added benefit of the passing of time allowing the added touch indie game magic and the convenience and options of modern day game design sensibilities. This game is to Paper Mario, as Bloodstained was to Symphony of the Night.

e670WvZ.png

The combat is extremely similar, utilizing the turn based skill infused attacks that require button inputs to add damage, and a basic system of low level numbers for health/damage to convey a sense of simplicity to it's combat. However, there is a vast more amount of attack skills in this game than there are in Paper Mario, adding more variety to the combat. As well as a consistent party that doesn't change, which allows for a dynamic "position switch" strategic element and a "stock up turns by giving up one" element similar to something like in Bravely Default which only does wonders for the already fantastic combat system of Paper Mario. This game even adds optional badges that increase difficulty and turn on an optional "hard mode" at the exchange of rewards and more XP/Money for doing so, one of my main complaints in Paper Mario is the easiness of the titles if you're familiar with them.

Also I would be remiss to mention that combat is of course rewarding, which is a main issue with post TTYD Paper Mario games.

rXsJwhO.png

The charm and variety people miss from the old Paper Mario games is all there, this feels so similar to the early Paper Mario games in the aspect of there being all sorts of bugs (think Ants = Toads, Beetles = Koopas, Bees = Boos, etc.) of every variety, and within each bug archetype every single one looks and acts different from each other. The bestiary is 90 enemies in total, meaning there's always new enemies to find and encounter (some of which even have different variants that don't have separate entries in the bestiary). The humor is there too, the story is loaded with tons of cuteness, puns, and jokes, while still being clever and enjoyable to read though. I could seriously see this game receiving minor script changes and some texture swaps and I wouldn't bat an eye at this just having always been a Paper Mario game.

H0mAXkE.png

Anyway, I could go on and on about the direct Paper Mario comparisons and how it either compares exactly or improves on it, but just trust me in saying that it's damn near perfect at what it's setting out to do, and the game is definitely a full length spiritual successor to that franchise and in no way hampered by being an indie title (it might even have more variety and content than either of the Paper Mario games honestly).

I implore that anyone who has ever muttered the words "I want a new Paper Mario game just like the first two." to buy this game when you can. It's only on Steam right now, but it's supposed to hit consoles next year, in which I will most certainly be double dipping and doing another playthrough.

Side note: I've heard the game is somewhat glitchy with saves (though in my whole playthrough I encountered no issues whatsoever), and I have heard mutterings of the publisher not paying the hardworking devs properly for this game, however I am not up to speed on the topics so if someone more informed could add to that, feel free.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As I've said in the OT, I'm just patiently waiting for the Switch release. But I'm loving that its living up to expectations with these positive impressions/reviews I've been reading.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP I've been thinking about Paper Mario for the past week for some reason... this thread is a blessing

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I did not know this existed until now and I need it injected into veins.

That being said, I'll probably wait for the Switch version.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I didn't even see the OT.

I'm a big fan of the first two Paper Mario games so I'm paying attention to this. Not gonna lie, the art design is a downgrade but your praise has me interested anyway.

Here's a link to the game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1082710/Bug_Fables_The_Everlasting_Sapling/
I'll admit, the art seems "less clean and professional" than Paper Mario, but what it lacks in that sort of artistic polish it makes up for in charming designs and variety. It really grows on you.

I mentioned in the original post, the Switch version is early 2020.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll admit, the art seems "less clean and professional" than Paper Mario, but what it lacks in that sort of artistic polish it makes up for in charming designs and variety. It really grows on you.

I mentioned in the original post, the Switch version is early 2020.
I'll wait to see how the Switch version is then. If you're going to make a Paper Mario game then make sure it comes to the Nintendo system because those are the people asking for it. So, I'm glad it's coming to Switch.

Oct 29, 2017
Well, I'm definitely one of those who love to shit on SS and PJ, so this seems right up my alley.

To be honest, I had heard of this before and even watched some trailers, but I had no idea it was out already. So, thanks OP!

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking about it, but considering all of the terrible stuff that has come out about Dangen Entertainment, I can't in good faith buy the game. Which is a shame because it really looks charming.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Everything I've ever heard about this game has sounded like it's just my alley, but honestly, every time I see the game, I can't help but think about how ugly I think the characters and the UI are. And seeing as I'd have to look at them for so long during a playthrough, that's unfortunately a deal breaker for me.

Otherwise the game seems great, though, from what I can tell.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I'm looking forward to the game coming to Switch, but stuff like:

Is making me go
giphy.gif
I'd be willing to discuss this with you, I realize it's a hammy comparison and a lazy thing to fall back on. But it is also very apt. Personally I fall into this same camp with Bloodstained/SotN where I think Bloodstained is a near perfect spiritual successor that does a lot better, but merely lacks the artistic talent the original game had, similar to Bug Fables.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
isn't this the game the publishers aren't paying the devs for?
If that's true I have no reason to support this game
I mentioned this at the end of my OP. I believe that's the case which is extremely unfortunate. It makes things a bit confusing for me, because the game is amazing, and the devs seem like fine people who did amazing work, but it's merely the publisher who's the issue here. I'm not sure what the devs wishes on this sort of thing would be other than to spread the word that it's happening, because otherwise I suppose the game is just being sent to die if no one buys it ever. It's a tough situation.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd be willing to discuss this with you, I realize it's a hammy comparison and a lazy thing to fall back on. But it is also very apt. Personally I fall into this same camp with Bloodstained/SotN where I think Bloodstained is a near perfect spiritual successor that does a lot better, but merely lacks the artistic talent the original game had, similar to Bug Fables.
Personally I didn't think Bloodstained was that good. I'm also someone who thinks Aria of Sorrow was better than SotN so what is my opinion worth exactly lol. I was only half joking there, TTYD is one of my favorite games ever and I'll definetly be looking into this once the Switch port hits.

Honestly, it's not a big surprise word of mouth is so low at the moment. This is a spiritual successor to a series that's exclusive to Nintendo consoles and is for now only released on Steam.
As soon it hits the Switch it will get some traction seeing how indie games there do well in general.

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
We need the tea on the publisher not paying the devs. This is more important than anything else

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I played the demo a while back and I liked it but I wasn't crazy about it. I think I might miss a certain charm the early Paper Mario games had, or maybe just the IP. I'm on the fence.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bug Fables is everything I want, an indie follow up to the beloved Paper Mario RPGs, but I'm not dropping a cent on it unless the devs are getting paid.

Pineconn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Been waiting for the Switch version since playing the PC demo. Glad the final product appears to be pretty good.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
We need the tea on the publisher not paying the devs. This is more important than anything else
i don't want to support this until the publisher controversy is cleared up, but also man i *really* don't like the art style
This. Really frustrating to hear that a dream game of mine exists, only to learn immediately after that the developers aren't getting properly compensated for it.
This. Fu k them. They're the publisher so guess who gets the money
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm not sure what else to do about it other than make it known (as I stated at the end of the OP). I really hate to see the game go totally unplayed since the devs worked so hard on it, but I also really hate to see them not make the money they deserve as well. It's purely a publisher issue, and I wish I knew what the devs wishes were on this matter specifically. Because if the publisher never budges on this, then the game just got sent to die and the consensus will always be to never play it, which doesn't sit well with me.

So all I can really do is tell people how good it is, while also making the issue known I feel. If anyone knows of a donation area for the devs to give them money directly, I'd gladly give them the $20 I paid for the game that way.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Paper Mario 64 and TTYD are two of my favorite games ever, and I've been having a great time with A Bug's Life Bug Fables so far. Been playing on hard mode which is exactly the sort of challenge I always wanted out of Paper Mario given all the potential for careful planning and strategy there always was in the games.

Really hoping that Dangen gets their shit together and pays all their developers. It feels weird to play this now while wondering whether they'll actually see the money I spent.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm not sure what else to do about it other than make it known (as I stated at the end of the OP). I really hate to see the game go totally unplayed since the devs worked so hard on it, but I also really hate to see them not make the money they deserve as well. It's purely a publisher issue, and I wish I knew what the devs wishes were on this matter specifically. Because if the publisher never budges on this, then the game just got sent to die and the consensus will always be to never play it, which doesn't sit well with me.

So all I can really do is tell people how good it is, while also making the issue known I feel. If anyone knows of a donation area for the devs to give them money directly, I'd gladly give them the $20 I paid for the game that way.
yeah, i have no issue with your thread and it's good to encourage people to play good games! it's just a bummer a good game is being released during a Bad Time for the publisher

Deleted member 14735

Oct 27, 2017
Had my eye on this for a while and hadn't been able to pick it up yet but hoped to play it soon. I was not aware of all this controversy surrounding Dangen Entertainment. That Medium post, hoo boy. Really want to hear something from these devs before I buy this off Steam, though I wonder if they're even in a position where they could say anything.. I wish they had a way to buy a key from them directly. Maybe they don't even have those privileges under a publisher.

tonyh24613

Oct 25, 2017
The game deserves more attentions, the dev really put lots of thought into it. Besides all the neat battle system designs, there's much more to praise. Toggleable hard mode through the whole game, well-spread save points, lots of side-bosses, right-size maps and unlockable shortcuts/fast travels to prevent too much back-tracking, medal to ignore weaker enemies, card mini-game, bank interest system, etc.

Also I feel OP is a bit spoil-ish, I just finish chapter 4 and I didn't know that you can have a fourth mamber.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Side note: am I the only one seeing a few almost 1:1 Hollow Knight designs in here. Was Team Cherry involved in this?
Maybe's I'm going mad.

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
I remember seeing this game a few years back, I'm def excited, I'm just waiting on the switch port. It'll be a day one buy for sure.

Deleted member 3040

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been eying this since I saw a post about it in another thread. Using bugs seems like a great idea in general as well. I'm not super sold on the graphics and sound effects, though, but the game seems rather charming. Especially if it has the silly writing that makes Paper Mario so great (the only other game in recent memory that comes close is Wuppo (which I highly recommend)), so if you're confident it's similar... I might just bite later.

I've seen a few gameplay videos and it does seem a bit slow, but maybe it feels better when playing it?

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
The publisher controversy is not cleared and we Don't KNOW if that's true or not.

If you Don't buy the game, you are SURE that the devs won't get any money
If you buy it, they have a chance of receiving money.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The publisher controversy is not cleared and we Don't KNOW if that's true or not.

...And a chance of supporting exploitative practices plus you'll definitely be supporting a bigwig who's a sex creep.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is like the most capitalist thing I've ever read.

OP
OP
Zutrax

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
The game deserves more attentions, the dev really put lots of thought into it. Besides all the neat battle system designs, there's much more to praise. Toggleable hard mode through the whole game, well-spread save points, lots of side-bosses, right-size maps and unlockable shortcuts/fast travels to prevent too much back-tracking, medal to ignore weaker enemies, card mini-game, bank interest system, etc.

Also I feel OP is a bit spoil-ish, I just finish chapter 4 and I didn't know that you can have a fourth mamber.
Apologies for the "spoiler-ish" thing there. I got so used to it by the time I finished the game that it kind of wasn't really a second thought for me. If it helps though, the "spoiler-ish" thing is actually 100% optional, and more akin to a pet that follows you than a member and doesn't talk or tie into the story in any way. But still, doesn't change that the surprise was ruined by me, so that was my bad.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
As I've said in the OT, I'm just patiently waiting for the Switch release. But I'm loving that its living up to expectations with these positive impressions/reviews I've been reading.

Just wanted to echo this post. Thanks for the awesome OT Zutrax I'm well and truly hyped to play it in 2020!

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil

Buy now and support a sex pervert that used his position to creep on young female devs instead of waiting for it to be sorted out!

There's literally no reason not to wait until this publisher fiasco is over.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Part of why I love traditional Paper Mario is the Mario aspect in a JRPG world.

So I don't think it could substitute that for me.

Cool to see a game inspired by it though. But I think those indies who are like "scratch the itch of this dead IP with this new IP!" kind of miss some of the point of why people loved those dead IPs.... the IP itself lol.