• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
With a remake on the way, RE2 is now over 20 years old, and many here have probably played the original game several times over. The vast majority of people will probably want to wait to go back to the original title, or perhaps they already have, but for when you do go back to the classic title, I have a suggestion to make.

Play the game with item box restrictions. No, really. Some of you will read this and think this thread should be titled "If you're a masochist," and maybe when it comes to horror games I am, but I ran through RE2 last year with a strict "discarded items only" item box policy, and it breathed new life into a game that had become second nature to me. Resident Evil 2 is an incredible game, but I think there are two glaring problems that prevent it from being the best of the classic titles. Firstly, the balancing is a bit off. The first third or maybe half of the game is pretty well balanced, but beyond that point the game simultaniously throws too much ammo at you and boss fights that are over so quickly, they can hardly be called one (especially in the Japanese version of the game). You might take out some of the bosses in the game before they can even get in a single hit. The other major problem is from the sewers on, the game is basically a cutscene factory where you loop around very small areas with minimal puzzles. The latter problem isn't fixed by this suggestion, but only bringing with you what you can carry creates a situation where you're not going to pick up every single piece of ammo. You're not even going to pick up every herb. Suddenly your relationship between the items and the player changes, inviting the player to further strategize. Of course, it also means keeping the valve handle with you for almost the entire game as well as some additional backracking, so it's not for everyone.

This is not an argument that this is how RE2 should have been, and I would never suggest anyone play the game this way if they haven't already, maybe not until it's after a few times. But it rebalances the game in a way that keeps it fresh - without you having to access a Dreamcast or PC version in a modern setup.

Upon playing RE2 this way last summer, I also gave RE3 a shot, without expecting to be able to complete the game. Miraculously, I was able to, and now I'm going through it again.

QCyj9dA.jpg

This is my menu screen as of reaching the cable car, deciding whether or not to take the wrench first. I'm going ahead with ammo creation, because I'm probably not a good enough player to forego it, but I'll end up having to discard it at the clock tower like last time. Last year I found myself at the clock tower low on health and thinking it was the end. I unloaded upon Nemesis with basic grenade rounds, and managed to take it out before it could do too much damage. I'm not sure I won't end up in a situation where I can't seem to progress this time, but I plan to try.

Have you ever played an RE game with self imposed restrictions (beyond what the ranking system encourages)?

OP
OP
Encephalon

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
But I don't like Resident Evil 0. I like my item box.

I think RE0's system was a mistake, but I think the above makes RE2 a more interesting game if you've played RE2 many times over, know the game like the back of your hand, and want a more engaging way to experience. RE0's base game is also much more challenging than RE2, so you'll actually need all of those items, whereas in RE2 you might not.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess a challenge like this is suited for those who are more than well versed in classic RE games or RE2 specifically, but should be avoided by anyone who just wants to play RE2 in preparation for the RE2 remake and just want to have the classic experience.

Patazord

Dec 14, 2017
Played REmake with [I said:
only [/I]the infinite ammo 3-burst handgun, sounds easy but still going to have a tricky time with Crimson Heads and Hunters

I just finished my run with Jill and Chris in hard and i can tell you the base handgun is very strong vs the Hunters, it take around 6-8 bullets to kill them

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know RE2 well enough to take on this challenge.
I really enjoyed the non-linked item boxes in the super hard mode for REmake so I can understand why this is fun.

I will be replaying some RE2 tonight. The hype for the new one is too strong.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
I agree that RE2 is way too generous with rewarding the player with ammunition, and I feel like once you cross RCPD, the game becomes very linear. Hopefully the REmake can solve these issues without making too many compromises.

Also, even without self imposed restrictions, I felt like RE3 got the balance right with its difficulty, and it deserves credit for that.

OP
OP
Encephalon

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I managed to get to the Clock Tower, but it's pretty difficult to attempt to keep the bulk of the resources I have and attempt to mix two herbs, because I want to try to keep the freeze rounds that Carlos gave me. I dumped the handgun, but that didn't seem to help, given how puzzle items work in this area. It would probably be better to play the game treating each item box as its own unlinked item box, than attempt to play without them entirely.

Tried to play No Merchant in RE4 but I caved and bought a bigger inventory. and a rifle cuz I missed it

Played REmake with only the infinite ammo 3-burst handgun, sounds easy but still going to have a tricky time with Crimson Heads and Hunters

That sounds like a good way to approach a "handgun only" playthrough in a game that really won't give you enough ammo to make that feasible. I'd imagine hunters were an absolute nightmare.

I don't know RE2 well enough to take on this challenge.
I really enjoyed the non-linked item boxes in the super hard mode for REmake so I can understand why this is fun.

I will be replaying some RE2 tonight. The hype for the new one is too strong.

I forgot this mode existed. I want to try it, but the base game is harder than that of RE2 and RE3.

I agree that RE2 is way too generous with rewarding the player with ammunition, and I feel like once you cross RCPD, the game becomes very linear. Hopefully the REmake can solve these issues without making too many compromises.

Also, even without self imposed restrictions, I felt like RE3 got the balance right with its difficulty, and it deserves credit for that.
I hope so too! Just a few more days, and we'll find out. : )

I agree. Hard/Heavy is probably the best of the classic trilogy.

Last edited: