• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Still doesn't work for me. Guess you're screwed if you claimed the disc upgrade. Bravo.

Tried upgrading and its a no go for me, I have previously upgraded the disk version. I'm not sure if its not live or if this is a bug.

Yeah, you can't upgrade the PS+ version if you upgraded the disc version. Maybe they'll "fix" it but wouldn't hold my breath.

I contacted support and they gave me basically no solution, buying the digital version was their answer

A co-worker of mine owns the PS4 FF7R disc. He played it on his PS4 when it first dropped. He now has a digital edition PS5. He's dying to play the Yuffie DLC, but didn't want to purchase the entire game again. For someone in his situation, the only way he can play the Yuffie DLC would be to buy Intergrade digitally right? There's no way he can use his PlayStation account to show he already owns the game, in order to just get the Yuffie DLC correct? That definitely sucks but if this is the case, I hope $39 is a good price for him and he finally gets to play it.

This is ridiculous. You're basically being punished if you supported the game physically but also want the convenience being afforded to people that didn't.

Last edited:

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So it's not letting people who had already redeemed the PS+ version get that digital license to the PS5 version? Cause that's weird

MikeE21286

Oct 27, 2017
I had the same thing happen was very confused.

The situation it appears is that if you claimed the free PS5 upgrade with your disc version of PS4 you are no longer eligible to get the free PS5upgrade with the PS+ version.

It appears the upgrade to to the PS5 version is only one upgrade per account, and that it recognizes if you upgraded your disc version for free already. If you did previously upgrade you are required to still use the disc. There is no upgrade option to allow you to not use the disc with the Ps+ version.

Nov 13, 2017
That one guy w/ the coworker who bought a digital PS5, that's not Sony's fault.

Everyone else, though, yea that's kinda weird.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Oh I guess I'm fine with having skipped out on that PS+ version after all lol

What a mess this has turned out to be, and it really never had any reason to.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand... If you already claimed the PS5 version, why would you need a second copy?

A co-worker of mine owns the PS4 FF7R disc. He played it on his PS4 when it first dropped. He now has a digital edition PS5. He's dying to play the Yuffie DLC, but didn't want to purchase the entire game again. For someone in his situation, the only way he can play the Yuffie DLC would be to buy Intergrade digitally right? There's no way he can use his PlayStation account to show he already owns the game, in order to just get the Yuffie DLC correct? That definitely sucks but if this is the case, I hope $39 is a good price for him and he finally gets to play it.
Don't buy a digital-only console if you want your physical games to be worth shit.

May 24, 2021
That's weird. I have the disc version and did the PS5 upgrade. It seems like it's letting me download it without the disc just fine, unless it just wont boot up after I've downloaded it or something.

Guess I'll find out in about 40 minutes once the "data needed to start playing" bar fills up.

OP
OP
JB2448

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I don't understand... If you already claimed the PS5 version, why would you need a second copy?

Don't buy a digital-only console if you want your physical games to be worth shit.
For the convenience of not having to put in a disc, at the absolute minimum. Alternatively, for those that no longer have access to the disc version but redeemed it via PlayStation Plus in order to play through it, it's not unreasonable to expect parity with everyone else.

Is it really that outlandish?

OP
OP
JB2448

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
That's weird. I have the disc version and did the PS5 upgrade. It seems like it's letting me download it without the disc just fine, unless it just wont boot up after I've downloaded it or something.

Guess I'll find out in about 40 minutes once the "data needed to start playing" bar fills up.
That's exactly it. On the PS5 home menu, it should show a disc icon on the FFVII Remake PS5 app icon.

terawatt

Oct 27, 2017

I can download it too but the icon on the dashboard has a disc icon

Oct 27, 2017
Getting the digital license for something should just be equivalent to the disc SKU; if I previously owned something on disc and had it installed, why do I need to delete it and re-install it if I later get the digital version lmao. Get your shit together SE/Sony.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
At this point I straight up expect either issues or some kind of walkthrough required for every PS4>PS5 upgrade.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's an insult how bad this is.
Getting the digital license for something should just be equivalent to the disc SKU; if I previously owned something on disc and had it installed, why do I need to delete it and re-install it if I later get the digital version lmao. Get your shit together SE/Sony.
I had to delete games entirely to just reinstall the digital version. It's shocking how stupid it all is.

On the Xbox it's logical. It just removes the disc check.

May 24, 2021
That's exactly it. On the PS5 home menu, it should show a disc icon on the FFVII Remake PS5 app icon.

Ah, the disc icon is there alright.

I wonder if I download the PSN+ PS4 version if maybe it'll give some kind of upgrade option for that?

Either way, this is really fucking dumb and convoluted. There's no "problem" being solved by doing shit like this. It's just causing unnecessary annoyance.

Oct 27, 2017
Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. Is it really such an imposition to put the disc in the drive?

I realise incessantly whining about inconsequential shit is a resetera tradition, but take a break. It's the holidays.

Oct 26, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. Is it really such an imposition to put the disc in the drive?

I realise incessantly whining about inconsequential shit is a resetera tradition, but take a break. It's the holidays.

Nah, but is it really such an imposition to allow paying subscribers the same benefits regardless of if they've played/redeemed a physical copy of a game before?

OP
OP
JB2448

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

It's the principle of the matter. No, it doesn't bother all too much to put the disc in the drive. My situation is far from the only one where this issue applies, though.

Happy holidays.

Starburns

Oct 30, 2017
Denver
Could someone post a link to the upgrade to the PS+ PS4 version I claimed back when it was free. I'm on the store on my PC, and everything I click on says "Unavailable", except for this one, that says it is included with PS+, but when I click on it I get "Not Available for Purchase". Am I doing something wrong?

OP
OP
JB2448

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Could someone post a link to the upgrade to the PS+ PS4 version I claimed back when it was free. I'm on the store on my PC, and everything I click on says "Unavailable", except for this one, that says it is included with PS+, but when I click on it I get "Not Available for Purchase". Am I doing something wrong?

Do you mean this?

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE upgrade for PS4™ version owners

The PlayStation®5 version of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE. Updated on December 22,2021 You are eligible to receive a free PS5™ digital version of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE at no extra cost if you already either i own a PS4™ digital version of the game or ii own a PS4™ disc version of the game and...

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Shoulda just done a free fucking upgrade or a simple 1 way $10 paid upgrade instead of this tiered classist bullshit that's now a fucking rats nest

neoak

Oct 25, 2017

Oh wait, is it too much to ask for something that other platforms do with no problem, to work here?

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Sony's BS just keeps pilling up. There's always a catch or some unexpected issue.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Do you mean this?

The PlayStation®5 version of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE. Updated on December 22,2021 You are eligible to receive a free PS5™ digital version of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE at no extra cost if you already either i own a PS4™ digital version of the game or ii own a PS4™ disc version of the game and...
I did the upgrade via disk and that shows as purchased. If i purchase the full digital PS4 version i wonder if it would just work and not require me to 'upgrade' that one.

I know this is about the PS+ version specifically so would there be a difference i wonder.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing how bad this still is a year after launch. Every game it's different, and there's some weird thing that doesn't work right.

Remember when the physical version of Kena finally came out just a month ago and the PS4-PS5 upgrade didn't work for a whole week. For a week people either had to just play the PS4 version or sit staring at their discs until they fixed the upgrade. In a game that'd already been out (digitally) for two months.

Every time there's something different. The system sucks.

JCmasta

Banned
Aug 31, 2020
I own a physical ps4 copy as well as the ps plus version but haven't upgraded yet. I wonder if I should use my upgrade for the ps plus version, but I don't like the fact that it would be always tied to the subscription service.

Starburns

Oct 30, 2017
Denver
Do you mean this?

Yup, that's the same one. I haven't done anything with a physical desk, and that's unavailable for me. Awesome.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to thank you, I appreciate it.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
sony can't seem to get basic shit correct.

until recently, players couldn't buy-to-own PS+ games that they had previously redeemed. it makes zero sense that sony couldn't foresee the possibility that someone might not want to subscribe to PS+ forever and therefore would want to buy a game that they already had as part of their PS+ library. but that's the way it was for about a decade.

and now this, lol

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

kinda agree with this, this is peak "first world problems"

Like yes it's not perfect but if this happened to me without looking at era I'd be like "okay I'll just get my disc real quick"… I wouldn't really think much of it lol

Skot

Oct 30, 2017
Yikes. Same issue here. Is there a potential workaround or do we have to wait for Sony to fix this eventually?