• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AAMARMO

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
No ?
I mean, what kind of comparison is this ?
Devil May Cry 5 was revealed, gameplay looks amazing, people loved the music, the visuals are insane, so are the designs.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Not really. Devil May Cry 5 looks like it knows exactly what it wants to be. It's an evolution of the style in 4 with the current graphics possible with the RE7 engine.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont even understand that article. Especially the end with Halo infinite and Cyberpunk 2077 as a reference for assurance. lol

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with the DMC part of this article at all. Half the reason I loathed the DMC5 trailer so much is that it feels like it's trying to be too nice to DmC fans by using visual and style markers from the failed reboot at the expense of visual and design consistency with the rest of the series.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Weird article. The writer cites crackdown 2 which was as Phil Spencer said in this GB interview was rushed out the door and didn't feel like the first game.

The aim for CD3 is to capture that feeling the first game gave. As for DmC5 what games are out that are like it?

The writer talks about Bayonetta which is it's own very special thing. The excitement for DmCV is because there are no games like it out.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Identy crisis? Excuse me?

This looked like there perfect sequel to 4 and it felt directly like it's coming home. Got my right from the first second.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Nothing about that DMC reveal made me think that it has identity issues.

Same goes for Crackdown. That game has plenty issues I feel, identity is not one of them.

Dec 2, 2017
They are still on the DmC train? I also didn't get a strong "this is not like the reboot" from what Istuno and the other producers said. People asked for a proper numbered DMC for years and we got one. That's all.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No ?
I mean, what kind of comparison is this ?
Devil May Cry 5 was revealed, gameplay looks amazing, people loved the music, the visuals are insane, so are the designs.
Yeah, what? DMC5 was exactly what you would expect from DMC5. Or did the author see the white haired pretty boy revving his sword to grunge rock while juggling demons with his robot devil hand and think it was something else?

Oct 26, 2017
IGN salty about no DmC 2
LMAO
"Ninja Theory's reboot wasn't perfect, but coming at DMC 5 from the basis of "not like that reboot" isn't a wise move. The two Capcom reps onstage talked about how fans were clamoring for a "true" sequel to the series, and in throwing DmC under the bus, winds up showing DMC 5's hand. The flashy footage of Nero and his new robot arm look cool, but all of it also looks like it could've come from a sequel that came two years after Devil May Cry 4's 2008 release as opposed to 11 years later. The demon killing and music look as DMC as ever, but there feels like a certain amount of desperation there, like the game is trying too hard to be liked and bring back the fans turned off by Ninja Theory's game."

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ninja Theory's reboot wasn't perfect, but coming at DMC 5 from the basis of "not like that reboot" isn't a wise move. The two Capcom reps onstage talked about how fans were clamoring for a "true" sequel to the series, and in throwing DmC under the bus, winds up showing DMC 5's hand. The flashy footage of Nero and his new robot arm look cool, but all of it also looks like it could've come from a sequel that came two years after Devil May Cry 4's 2008 release as opposed to 11 years later. The demon killing and music look as DMC as ever, but there feels like a certain amount of desperation there, like the game is trying too hard to be liked and bring back the fans turned off by Ninja Theory's game.

The irony.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
What? DMC seems to be what most people including myself have been clamoring for years. Outside of the reboot, it never had a deeper message nor did it ever need one.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Excuse me? It was damn near my trailer of the show. I have no idea what this guy is talking about.

Oct 27, 2017
Devil May Cry looked about the same way it's always been- quirkily but innocently trying too hard to be cool, which makes it a bit endearing but at the end of the day it's all about the combat, which looked amazing.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I don't understand their point for DMC5. DMC5 looks like it should, and I thought they even made attempts to transition from DmC into a proper DMC5 from an aesthetic point of view. Probably my favourite unveiling of this E3.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with the DMC part of this article at all. Half the reason I loathed the DMC5 trailer so much is that it feels like it's trying to be too nice to DmC fans by using visual and style markers from the failed reboot at the expense of visual and design consistency with the rest of the series.

I think it's not trying to use any visual or style markers from DmC. The only thing that may be like it is short haired Nero. In fact, I'm sure a long haired one will be unlockable and people will see how close it is to the original design but just with photorealistic visuals.

Zukkoyaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DMC looked amazing and almost exactly like what one would expect a new entry to look like in 2018. Silly/cheesy characters, ridiculous combat, so bad it's amazing music, etc. If anything, it's an example of a game that knows EXACTLY what it wants to be.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Not everything needs to reinvent itself with every iteration. DMC5 looking like that is all fans wanted, it's been so long since 4 at this point.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Ninja Theory's reboot wasn't perfect, but coming at DMC 5 from the basis of "not like that reboot" isn't a wise move.

Yes it is

The two Capcom reps onstage talked about how fans were clamoring for a "true" sequel to the series

That's because we were

The flashy footage of Nero and his new robot arm look cool, but all of it also looks like it could've come from a sequel that came two years after Devil May Cry 4's 2008 release as opposed to 11 years later.

This makes no sense

The demon killing and music look as DMC as ever, but there feels like a certain amount of desperation there, like the game is trying too hard to be liked and bring back the fans turned off by Ninja Theory's game.

Yeah I hate it when a game tries to be like the previous games in the series

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I don't remotely agree with either game mentioned.

How is Crackdown having an identity crisis? It couldn't be more clear what that game is and what it wants to be.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's not trying to use any visual or style markers from DmC. The only thing that may be like it is short haired Nero. In fact, I'm sure a long haired one will be unlockable and people will see how close it is to the original design but just with photorealistic visuals.

His new face and the constant awkward, ugly facial expressions all the characters make all the time remind me a lot of DmC as well.

Oct 27, 2017
As far as the shit talk after the trailer, thats probably all we'll hear but Ninja Theory deserves it for promoting their version by knocking the old series for a long while

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I'm more confused reading that article than just reading the title. Its like he can't reconcile that Terry Crews is an actor and he can play different roles and DmC is a standalone thing? He calls developers giving their consumers what they want insecurities?? The fuck? This is less observations and more personal hangups the writer can't express properly.

Nov 2, 2017
Just seeing some excerpts; they couldn't possibly be more out of touch.

This article only works if it was posted ~12 hours after the reveal. The narrative of it resembling DmC too much is already dying.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
Crews' offscreen persona winds up working against him in this case: in the past two Crackdown 3 trailers, he's been the bombastic and wild self that defined him for years in Old Spice's ads.

But now Crews is perhaps better known for his role in Brooklyn Nine-Nine, where he's an emotionally sensitive man who loves his family and has an artistic side. He has an image that he can't shake now, and with the Crackdown games being light on plot, anyone coming in from how he is in Brooklyn will find Jaxon lacking or not as engaging as Terry Jeffords.

What?

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
Better question. Why does the article read like a bitter DmC fan complaining about DMC5? It's a baffling article.