• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't see a thread specifically about this. And I didnt want to derail the OT. Figured it was noteworthy since people post Angry Joe stuff here quite often?

IGN Jared Petty said:
I'd also be remiss not to mention some of the cringe-inducing sexualization present in Dragon Quest XI.

The costume referenced in the video review:
1G71jl7.png

The video goes on to mention a quest that specifically asks you to dress up characters as "fetish-sized" bunny girls.

Angry Joe's Response:
mAfwLyx.png

What do you all think? "Is it cringe-worthy" sexualization? Do you agree with Joe or Jared? Let's talk about it.

EDITED for context:
DQ is my favorite game series, but yeah, that bunny suit is gross.

The quest associated with it involves a pervy dude on the beach who wants to see a girl in a bunny suit. The only good thing is her reaction to him (she basically makes it obvious that she's disgusted with him).

Video of the entire quest:

I will wait before I give my opinion.

Last edited:

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I'd go with Jared, but given the tone of JRPG sexualization discussion and the amount of apologism in this forum, this thread will definitely be a doozy.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the scheme of things I've seen from games that's pretty low key. I haven't played this game yet though so maybe its a lot more wide spread in the game example than the example listed.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's the IGN dude's opinion, I don't see the issue. Angry Joe is not known for his nuanced takes on topics like this.

Also "fetish-sized" made me legitimately lol

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I'll go with Joe on this one. That's reaching hard, sexualization isn't even necessarily bad it's a fact of life just like violence.

bahorel

Oct 25, 2017
Why is the playboy bunny a thing in this fantasy world to begin with? :/ it seems so out of place

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Havent played the game, can someone post a few more outfits?

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
As long as its not enforced I don't have a problem with it. Give people choices.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
It's his opinion and I'm okay with him having it (not that it would matter if I weren't!).

I disagree, and think it's pretty tame considering what usually shows up in Japanese games. For what it's worth, when I was in Japan this summer, I saw people legitimately dressed like this. I wouldn't tell them they are "being cringeworthy" even though I wouldn't dress like that?

I don't know. Different culture than where I live back home, but I'm not going to condemn it as "cringeworthy."

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's optional then I don't see who it hurts. This is basically a small group of people who want everyone to play the game their way and accept their point of view as the only correct one.

edit: Also that outfit looks almost exactly like the one you can buy in FFXIV at the gold saucer.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
It's ugly as shit, but it's completely optional.

Isn't worth making a big deal out of it unless it was in your face the whole game.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
cringe worthy seems subjective

but i dunno how you argue that the old playboy bunny getup isnt sexualization. i mean consider the source and look at it lol

whether you personally have a problem with it is up to you, and i havent even played the game so idk. but dont play ignorant about it

if its about review scores i will say i am not in the business of considering ign scores other than for joke purposes

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Inset gif of that reviewer who covered his eyes while playing yakuza cause of the gravure videos.

Thats a fairly tame outfit compared to stuff from Xenoblade X.

Jamm3r

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Jared's an idiot. Puff-puff is a standard in DQ games, that speaks for itself (don't let this point drive you to think I'm some DQ guru, my first-ish mainline title has been DQXI).

Jade is SEXY so IDK what is cringe about this at all. I've never even heard of sexualization being cringe-inducing I'm at a complete loss....this is why I don't look at IGN reviews lol

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Jared's criticism is 100% valid. Seems like some out of place sexualization that would make many people uncomfortable. I'm tired of criticisms focused on unnecessary sexualization being dismissed by dudes who have no issue with it.

And just because it's series tradition to have this kind of sexualization doesn't mean they can't be criticized for it.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I think the reviewer explains clearly why the quest around the costumes, and other attitudes presented uncritically in the script are what bothered them, and I think it's exactly the kind of criticism you want from a reviewer when they run into things in a game that feel out of place. They didn't linger on it too long, either.

Oct 27, 2017
DQ is my favorite game series, but yeah, that bunny suit is gross.

The quest associated with it involves a pervy dude on the beach who wants to see a girl in a bunny suit. The only good thing is her reaction to him (she basically makes it obvious that she's disgusted with him).

Edit: Yeah, it's not actually a good thing. It really does instead highlight how gross and sad the whole quest/situation is.

Last edited:

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Well... Came in here expecting the IGN article talking about Sylvando... At least it's not that

But yeah, the quote is still dumb

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Honestly its devs choice to make whatever they want ,I feel like people WAY overreacting, you could see a lot worse things in hollywood movies and no one bet an eye.

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, the bunny outfit in itself isn't a big deal, but yeah there's definitely some issues with sexualization in that game especially considering how contrasting that is with its tone otherwise.

Also 'puff puff' being kind of a tradition in that game doesn't really excuse it from being eye rollingly bad.

Take5GiantSteps

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Jared's an idiot. Puff-puff is a standard in DQ games, that speaks for itself (don't let this point drive you to think I'm some DQ guru, my first-ish mainline title has been DQXI).

Jade is SEXY so IDK what is cringe about this at all. I've never even heard of sexualization being cringe-inducing I'm at a complete loss....this is why I don't look at IGN reviews lol

Yiiiiiiikes.

Also 'puff puff' being kind of a tradition in that game doesn't really excuse it from being eye rollingly bad.

Yup, they could have adjusted.

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
.....THAT is over sexualization? Has this person seen a single second of Dead or Alive?

Moobabe

Nov 7, 2017
I don't see why that should cost a reduction in score from IGN.

We don't know that it did. You can have an opinion about a "sexy" costume without docking any points.

On topic, though, yeah... gotta go with IGN on this one. It's low-key compared to some of the nonsense we see in games, but it's so out of place and tastless.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
it's funny that it's a strong warrior women in a bunny outfit.

She's not just a sex object.
She's not helpless.
She didn't act weak or in need of saving.
The bunny outfit is totally optional.

I don't see a problem.

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Why is the playboy bunny a thing in this fantasy world to begin with? :/ it seems so out of place
So I just started reading the Dragon Ball manga... Considering it's Akira Toriyama, it's not... Also the puff puff "joke" comes from him as well, and while I haven't played DQ in a very long time (since I was 5?) the series has continued the joke up until recently.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully that Specific outfit is worse stat wise than her base gear. So there's no need for it outside of liking that type of getup.