• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Why is the gaming community like this, Why is this a controversy?

This week, fans and media outlets reacted to a translated Tetsuya Nomura interview from Famitsu about Final Fantasy VII's Tifa with very conflicting interpretations. In the interview, Nomura is said to have been told by Square Enix's ethics department to "restrict" or "constrict" Tifa's chest. Twinfinite has the full interview, and has an editor's note reading "the context and wording indicted clearly that this refers to the tightness and design of Tifa's clothing, not to her chest size."
Previously, "restrict" was interpreted as "shrink," by some. As pointed out by game producer and well-known Monster Hunter content creator Gaijinhunter, and others, this is simply not the case. As Twinfinite mentioned, with the full context, it's easy to infer that "restrict" in Japanese is meant to be understood as "bind" or "squeeze" as opposed to "shrink." You can read Gaijinhunter's full translation below, replacing "restrict" or "constrict" with the much clearer "bind" instead.

In summary, Tifa was not requested to get a smaller chest, only to be given a proper garment. With that said, of course it makes sense for Tifa to wear a high-impact sports bra. Tifa fights, runs, jumps, and does all sorts of physical activities in FF7, and let me tell you: not having the proper bra during intense activities can be annoying, painful, and, I'm not going to lie, embarrassing, especially if you're as #blessed as Tifa. Yes, she very obviously still appears to have large breasts even while wearing a constricting undergarment, and that is a miracle, especially as someone with such a low body-fat percentage. Of course, Tifa is a fictional character and the laws of physics and realistic body proportions vary greatly from game to game, but the addition of the sports bra makes sense from a realistic standpoint.

There's some educational material in the source above about physical activity and sports bras for those apparently unaware that those exist.
Tifa-Final-Fantasy-7.jpg

Some takes from stupid people

there's no lore about sports bras:

she's now a b cup (narrator's note, she's nowhere near a b-cup even with the sports bra on)

and well...literally deciding who to vote for based on the perceived breast size of a fictional character and petitions? 🤔
w1dETpL.png

Last edited:

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
this whole thing is so fucking stupid

gaming culture is the goddamn worst

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I can confirm that I've seen a number of breast arguments on twitter and plenty of my friends shutting people down, mostly women.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I have seen enough hentai and certain reddit threads to know......

Point is, thank you modern tech for being able to render proper garments that belie certain aspects whose explicit exposure drives the more anti-"sjw" misogynistic "gamers".

RockGun90

Jul 28, 2018
Some of these guys calling Tifa's breast a "modest B-cup" when they're as big as her head have real bags-of-sand level ignorance.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Some pillock online actually complained new Tifa is now a B cup lol. These incels are a joke.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is just the time for me to show my gf how far gaming has come

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I want my waifu to have huge titties" is such a weird hill to die on. I hate gaming culture so much.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Yeah this whole ordeal is stupidity of the highest degree. You can tell from her official render that they are still anime waifu tier ridiculous but they actually showed some restraint and made a sensible change to how they depict them.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
The outrage was very predictable and I'm happy that Square handled it well. Tifa is very popular in some parts of the internet.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
These morons have rendered 'censorship' to be an absolutely meaningless term that boils down to them projecting their own subjective views as a Serious Subject worthy of discussion.

Vyrak

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Is this a real thing or more like let's take 3 tweets from nobodies and get some clicks out of it?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
These morons have rendered 'censorship' to be an absolutely meaningless term that boils down to them projecting their own subjective views as a Serious Subject worthy of discussion.

These are same morons who also yell "politics" when it comes matter of inclusivity whilst actual political aspects in games go right past their heads.

Gaming culture is trash because the creators and marketing department comprised of trash (back in the day) and they cultivated this trash culture to sell products.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I think the "anti-SJW" crowd were just getting themselves preemptively mad because they thought the ~SJWs~ at Square would make Tifa's boobs smaller in the remake. When the reveal trailer showed that nah, she's still busty, they had to grasp at straws to complain about something anyway because they already riled themselves up beforehand.

OP
OP
Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
The moment the words "ethics department" were uttered on the other interview, I knew there would be people up in arms about it
It appears that for individuals that have formed their entire identity and life around trying to "trigger" people who are open about systemic issues in modern society, the word ethics is off putting.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
At some point we'll definitely get a Mega64's Flame War Theater video on the subject lmao, just like the one about RE2make's Claire lol, they'll find a shitty Gamefaqs thread talking about it lmao

Uz2qlFn.gif