• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/0...ate-jokers-final-smash-crashing-some-switches
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's latest DLC character, Joker from Persona 5, is freezing player's Nintendo Switches when they use his Final Smash to end a Classic Mode match.

This issue was confirmed by IGN's own Zachary Ryan, as his Switch froze three times when finishing a Classic Mode match with Joker's Final Smash. There are also many other examples, including a Reddit thread posted by CubingVainGlory, that show the freeze happening.

It appears this glitch is only occurring in Classic Mode and only with Joker, and does not appear to impact any other aspect of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate as of this writing.

is there anyone here who has experienced this?

Last edited:

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
I played through Classic, but I didn't use Joker's FS at any point. The fact that IGN is reporting on it hopefully means that it's getting the visibility it needs for Nintendo to be aware of the issue and patch it.

Setsune

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I intentionally tried this after first hearing about it, but it didn't freeze that time for me. Still, hope it gets fixed for the people encountering it. It might've been due to the specific match type in Classic Mode, or I just got lucky.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
This happened to me, froze right at the end of the final smash. Kinda glad it didn't just happen to me, I thought their was something wrong with my Switch.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen it on Twitter, but it didn't happen to me when I tried it

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I did a FS finish with Joker when I did his Classic. It didn't soft lock for me. But seems it's happened to others

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I used a FS once during classic & had no issues. Wonder if it's during a specific match or character/s.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is this legit or is it like last time where people that pirated the game soft locked when Planty Boi came out?

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, happened to me. If I had to guess, it's because the game is trying to load Joker's unique victory screen you get when you KO someone with his final smash, but because classic mode doesn't have a real victory screen, the game gets confused and continues to try and load it up, leading it to soft lock.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Joke's on y'all, that's why I still don't have Joker, this way my game is safe, heh.

*sniff*

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, happened to me. If I had to guess, it's because the game is trying to load Joker's unique victory screen you get when you KO someone with his final smash, but because classic mode doesn't have a real victory screen, the game gets confused and continues to try and load it up, leading it to soft lock.
Yeah. I'm pretty sure this is it too. Doesn't happen everytime though so I'm guessing there must be an additional factor here. Perhaps it's dependent on what your AI partner has done during the match? Joker's victory screen already overrides some stuff in team matches so there could be something about the AI partner that helps trigger it?

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Looking good Jok-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
THEY'LL NEVER SEE IT COMIIII

I never saw this comiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin

Cs0DCrO.jpg

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've tried it a couple of times, but it didn't happen to me, but might be a rare bug that happens on occasion. Here's hoping they fix it for those affected.