• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, so I worked on Cinematech and NE in 2005-2006, and curious you want more montages, weird little minute gameplay "skits", just long form trailers/cinematics, or what? What did you like about Cinematech? Curious

WEIRDO!!!! LOL. wonder where portal dave ended up.

i really enjoyed the combination of video game clips tied to various weirdo songs. Also i was young at the time, so I only got games around Christmas and my birthday. This was before youtube was really a thing and we had a family computer that i couldnt always use, some times those clips were a way for me to experience part of a game I might not otherwise ever get the chance to play. On top of all of that, it was just sort of a cool, weird creative show.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
All of it really.

Do you know how theres those lo-fi beat study streams?

Cinematech felt kind of like the video game version of that, something you could put on the background while you work on something else, while also possibly being exposed to something new, weird, and/or interesting in a medium you enjoy.

The lack of any narrator and the randomness of what might pop up next, even in the themed episodes, helped contribute towards that feeling quite a bit imo

You might glance up and see a cutscene from a game that you've never played but are now interested in, you might see the ending of a game you put 100 hours into and are reminded of the time it took you to see the same, or you might see a mosquito flying around a Japanese home trying to suck the blood of its inhabitants at 3AM.

Such a great show 😂

Agree 100% on this. Seeing a trailer for Yakuza on I think NE pack in the day is what got me to want to try the series in the first place. Another episode I vaguely remember just had random splices of Silent Hill stuff cut in throughout the episode. It was a great kind of weird and I would love to see that series come back in some form.

xaosslug

Oct 27, 2017
i can only imagine they're gonna give a bunch of Twitch streamers and gaming yt peeps tv shows... Pewds and Ninja are probably getting their own shows, for sure. LOL

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Hey, so I worked on Cinematech and NE in 2005-2006, and curious you want more montages, weird little minute gameplay "skits", just long form trailers/cinematics, or what? What did you like about Cinematech? Curious
I was only 8 in early 2005 when I started watching G4 and I remember Cinematech was one of the first shows that grabbed me. I was still very much in my pure enthusiast phase of gaming where I just got excited whenever I would see clips or screens of a game anywhere. This was doubly the case here where I had not really discovered the internet yet, and the idea of seeing all these games on my primary entertainment mode, television, was very appealing and novel to me. I didn't know or care about the industry or news or any of that, I just wanted to see the games, and Cinematech was a great way of providing me what I wanted. I probably didn't appreciate the skill and artistry that went into each episode, but it was always an engaging way of exposing me to the wider world of games at the time and possibly helped further my love for the medium.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda just want this to be a rebroadcasting of all their old content with nothing new, just for the sake of having high quality archives made by people as a lot of the archives on YouTube were recorded off cable in shoddy quality. Then again, I'd be surprised if the company kept the tapes.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Olivia Munn is too focused on her Hollywood career to wanna come back to Indie TV. I don't know what Morgan has been up to all these years. Also Sessler was the glue that held the show together. If he's not involved in some capacity, don't think the show is worth watching then

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like it would be an unsound strategy to bring back the Cops channel after what's happened this year.

To be real, though, I think I only miss Morgan and Adam doing X-Play. I don't care to see any other shows.
Cops was cancelled earlier this year. If G4 comes back, they won't be airing it.

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda just want this to be a rebroadcasting of all their old content with nothing new, just for the sake of having high quality archives made by people as a lot of the archives on YouTube were recorded off cable in shoddy quality. Then again, I'd be surprised if the company kept the tapes.
I like old G4, but some of that old stuff works better if you leave it in the past. Something like Sensitive Sess is best rewatched on YouTube every 6 months or so when you can laugh and go, oh boy it's good we don't do that anymore.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
i can only imagine they're gonna give a bunch of Twitch streamers and gaming yt peeps tv shows... Pewds and Ninja are probably getting their own shows, for sure. LOL

If they're smart, they would. Assembling a bunch of people who hosted G4 over 10 years ago would not be worth the money put into this re-launch. They gotta mix it up with some familiar faces and popular content creators of the last few years.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I like old G4, but some of that old stuff works better if you leave it in the past. Something like Sensitive Sess is best rewatched on YouTube every 6 months or so when you can laugh and go, oh boy it's good we don't do that anymore.

Yeah, a relaunched G4 can still be wacky and silly but what is acceptable for comedy has certainly changed since the network died.

I don't think we'll be seeing Sara Underwood cosplay as Bustice again. Heh.

the7samurai

Oct 30, 2017
I remember watching this a lot with a friend in high school. Mostly wasn't that great to me since it largely ignored Nintendo content but it has a certain nostalgia.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Of course the Philly Fusion is connected to this seeing as Comcast owns them, Munn I can see as a producer on some content.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but in that same segment, Adam Sessler calls Pokemon "For Retarded Children". So y'know.
My original point was, like I already said

Something like Sensitive Sess is best rewatched on YouTube every 6 months or so when you can laugh and go, oh boy it's good we don't do that anymore.

This was said to someone who said they'd rather them just rebroadcast old content.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I loved G4 but it might be weird to try and recreate the magic in 2021, let alone without the old cast.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, how much do you think Ninja would cost compared to paying many lesser known people to doing a show?

I would actually prefer smaller names because I think G4 was actually pretty good at elevating quite a few people in their careers (Tommy went on to do Video Games Live and buy Intellivision, Olivia obviously blew up afterwards, Kevin Rose went on to start Digg and fight raccoons, Morgan seems to be doing fine in the game industry, etc...), but I think if they wanted to go for Ninja they have the money.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
Kinda too late. Not many younger people have cable
Did they say it's coming back to cable? Seems like the content they were producing was a little ahead of it's time and ended up not really fit for cable television.

If it is coming back, I'm sure it will be a youtube/twitch streaming thing with a collection of shows.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I remember watching this a lot with a friend in high school. Mostly wasn't that great to me since it largely ignored Nintendo content but it has a certain nostalgia.

G4 was known for being, let's say, not very kind to Nintendo. All the old GameCube/Wii era standards - their games are for kids, their fans are crazy and probably mentally ill, the DS and Wii are gimmicks, the company is dying, etc.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
Honestly I would be most excited for, as others have mentioned, an actual archive of their old shit, particularly X-Play, considering all of that completely disappeared off the face of the Earth save for a few YouTube channels saving a smattering of old episodes and best-of compilations. I would legitimately binge-watch an X-Play archive from start to finish if one ever actually existed.

As for a new thing? If it doesn't involve the old personalities, I don't see a huge point. But who knows. It's not like Adam and Morgan have been doing a whole lot lately, for example.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Yes, but in that same segment, Adam Sessler calls Pokemon "For Retarded Children". So y'know.

Yeah, it's bad.

But we also should recognize how incredibly accepted that type of humor was in the 2000s. Calling things "retarded" and "gay" was socially acceptably despite being factually wrong. Sometimes I see a Facebook memory of mine pop up form 2010 and I'm so embarrassed.

Things have changed so much since even the early 2010s. Running the old material likely won't work a great deal of the time but if they relaunch with a more modern mindset, it can work.