• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah the Coalition have definitely been spending the last 3 years making Gears 5 look like a game that came out 2 months ago.

It's almost as though people in games development are never invited to see the current projects their peers are working on.

ummm looked pretty similar to the last gears game.

Which had a tepid campaign. Anyway, first it was "first-person" everything last gen, then it became "RPG elements" in everything, then it became "open world" as much as possible. Welcome to "Emotionally engaging" in everything now, regardless of whether or not the game actually benefits from it. Can't wait for the next Ninja Gaiden to get me truly invested in the characters, and inject numerous cutscenes that only exist as tear bait, even though I'll be playing it to chop people up with a sword.

I don't even think it's possible to tell a serious, emotional story within the Gears world.

It's not. Or rather, it's not in the same way they've told the previous stories anyway. They come off as so self-serious, and the seams showed so hard that it was almost parodic.

Last edited:

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
I hope they bring some meaningful changes and spice things up a a bit. Leading with Kait is a good sign.

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In no way did I see Gears 5 and think "boy that's a huge change".

God of War's change was very noticeable, not only Kratos as a character but the whole camera perspective.

Oct 25, 2017
i didn't see any cover-usage in that trailer.

this is an exciting thing to not see.

i found myself tiring of the heavy reliance on cover mechanics in gears 4 [although still having enough fun for sure], as it seems to restrict the variety of encounters one can create.

anyway, i'm actually quite curious about this game now, whereas before i wasn't wanting for any more gears tbqh.

batosaims

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Yeah, real funny that everyone praised the original's story. You seem to be confusing the original with the sequels which strayed from the original concept. See Extra Credits:

No one said the story was bad, just not emotional. I liked Kratos but I had zero investment in him as a character, in fact I sometimes disliked him because he was a douche and not the charming douche that Nathan Drake is.

Duderino

Nov 2, 2017
For me personally, the Gears aesthetic just clashes too hard with the extra layer of melodrama in the trailer. But I'm probably no longer their intended audience.

batosaims

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
You may not enjoy it but there's plenty of improvements in those games that you look embarrassing when you say stuff like this. Uncharted 4 has vastly larger combat areas which facilitate far more climbing, sliding, swinging and stealth, Vehicle exploration especially in Lost legacy than any of the previous games by a huge margin. You can't seriously tell me that anyone playing through the libertalia levels is anything where near to what the previous games were like.

It's the same with TLOU to say that there's nothing changed in what we've seen.We're seen how much larger the combat levels with multiple divergent points both vertically and horizontally which is a drastic change to what TLOU was like where it was much smaller and contained. There's a huge change to the way the A.I is like which large change to the way it plays out. The way the enemies communicate, find the player and engage makes it radically different to how TLOU2 is going to end up compared to it's predecessors which is something hugely lacking in plenty of games. The change up in the way the combat system where Ellie is much more faster and nimble, implementing new dodging mechanics where she's dodging melee and projectiles jumping between different levels, being unable to melee straight up brute force characters where they're the larger brute enemy can parry your attacks.

Fully agree with the comments as well especially about exploration. One of the reasons why I enjoyed TLOU more than say UC or even GOW was because there was actual purpose towards exploring every room through scavenging and getting as much tools as possible. Having a hub or open level doesn't automatically make exploration better. There has to be huge gameplay incentives to do so and I haven't really seen or read anything to indicate this in Gears.

One of my biggest disappointments in playing Gears 4 was the way the combat levels play out as well. Despite the game having hubs what appears to be the downtime, I found that the combat sections footage shown so far still doesn't feel like they've spiced things up more. One of the reasons why I enjoy the MP at the very least is how it's so geared towards movement and constantly flanking throughout and I feel that it doesn't really translate to the SP Campaign. The levels just don't feel large enough, the enemy placements don't help especially with the way the game linearly progresses as well. Like Kaits just barely moving in the middle with no cover shooting at the enemies in incredibly small kind of levels. Would have liked to see far more movement going cover to cover in larger open areas trying to flank different enemies which would have been far more exciting as that's where Gears excels in.

Ironic that the expansion for Uncharted did more to add to the series depth than all of the sequels combined smh

Deleted member 14927

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they change up the campaign after 4. It was insanely predictable, boring and just dragged. Finished it last night.....but I was just pushing my way through so I could have said I finished it. Outright the worst gears campaign for me.......that ending was halo 2/5 esque

I agree with this. I recently grinded my way through it. Incredible graphics can't disguise lacklustre gameplay.

It felt like every few minutes there was a dropship throwing down enemies.

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
It's more open with more freedom to approach combat sections and more additions to gameplay mechanics like meele weapons and more. No rpg elements like GOW

Deleted member 17491

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please don't have a kid, please don't have a kid, please don't have a kid.

On-topic:
I enjoyed the trailer, and from what I saw it looked good. I don't really understand where the author from the article is coming from. I just hope that they don't turn Gears into another generic third-person cinematic focused game.

ascii

Jan 5, 2018
Can't say I felt any God of War comparisons, but the environments did look like a step forward for the series. Enemies looks really interesting as well.

Unfortunately, the character design felt like a 10 year old game - they could really do with freshening it up.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Looks different but plays the same.

It's just how the trailer was cut.

And also having a female lead for the first time.

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
Eh, I remembered when I was supposed to be emotionally invested in Dom and Maria's story in Gears 2.

VivekTO

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Having a female lead is a huge change for me atleast , so Props to Coalition for this. Looking forward to the gameplay Footage!!
they will do one at Gamescom right??

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
From the perspective of the game's story and tone, it looks like a more or less direct continuation of Gears 4 (which did introduce some welcome tonal changes), so in that respect, I have no idea where those ideas are coming from. And even if that was really the case, I don't think that it's likely that inspiration would have come from a title as recent as God of War, when we've had other successful reboots like Tomb Raider, Resident Evil of Wolfenstein just several years earlier.

However, from what we've seen and heard of the gameplay, it seems like some exciting changes are indeed happening. So basically, the complete opposite of what the OP is saying.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, not seeing it, it still looked like Gears. God of War looked completely different from past God of War games.

Deleted member 26104

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wait do people think that a game that has already been in development for 2 years has somehow taken inspiration from a recently released game to make major fundamental changes to the story and gameplay?

Come on son. This is silly. It didn't really look much different to gears 1-4 tonally etc.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think the game was particularly inspired by a game that was just released, though it's entirely possible they took some hints from the way God Of War and other Sony games concentrate on character development. All I know is that this is the first time a Gears reveal looks interesting and fresh to me, every other sequel they had always felt more of the same to me when first shown. It's not necessarily a bad thing of course, but it feels like a great new direction that could change up the gameplay and narrative a bit. And those graphics, man...

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Wait do people think that a game that has already been in development for 2 years has somehow taken inspiration from a recently released game to make major fundamental changes to the story and gameplay?

Come on son. This is silly.
We've known about God of War for 2 years. I think most are just saying it's took a similar jump to something completely different, which I don't personally see.
At most more horror focused than before, but even then, Gears always had horror elementss.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Gears of War is about a bunch of burly guys as ripped as tanks killing aliens (but not really aliens) as they pretend to be serious, but not really. It's never had a clear tone and has no idea what it actually wants to be. Is it supposed to be a fun 80's burly action game similar to Predator and Commando or is it Saving Private Ryan? I have no idea, the developers have no idea. I do like that they've slowly been trying to retreat from the burly dudes built like tanks aesthetic with these current gen Gears, but they still have no idea what the game is about besides shooting stuff.

That said, perhaps my initial post was a bit hyperbolic. It might be possible to salvage something from the mess that is Gears' narrative and tells some emotional tale, I just don't see any MS studio pulling it off.
That's some top quality bullshit.
Name a single MS studio that has put out a game in recent years with a narrative that was praised.

Gears 4?

xICHIGOx

Oct 27, 2017
4's campaign was generally well received with the main complaints being the fairly abrupt ending and that the gameplay is very familiar.
Well recived and praised are different thing dude.
TLoU was praised because of the way that the story was told, and the stellar work of the cast, the same for God of War 2018 but it wasn't ever used as an example on how to do story telling. I haven't player Gears 4 because i don't have an xbox one but with Gears 1-2-3 the focus was on the brutal and funny gameplay, for what i've seen of gears 4 it didn't give me the impression of a game that have changed in that regard.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
TLoU was praised because of the way that the story was told, and the stellar work of the cast, the same for God of War 2018 but it wasn't ever used as an example on how to do story telling. I haven't player Gears 4 because i don't have an xbox one but with Gears 1-2-3 the focus was on the brutal and funny gameplay, for what i've seen of gears 4 it didn't give me the impression of a game that have changed in that regard.
Come on that's just semantics, you know what I mean.

Also, the game doesn't need to be best in class to be praised.

Gears 4 has a good campaign which was rightfully praised.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

It has, the writing has changed, and the way that Gears handles characters has changed a lot, which has garnered plenty of approval from some circles (I'm in this group), and also caused disapproval from hardcore Gears fans who, for some reason, preferred the old fratboy caricatures. The story of Gears 4 is noticeably more intimate, and it deals with family issues (Marcus and his son, Kait and her mom) as much as the discovery of a new threat. It was not perfect in that respect by any means, but it was a step in the right direction.

That said, I don't think that every story has to be serious and overwrought with emotions ti order to be excellent, far from it. I also think that in gaming circles banal storytelling often gets mistaken for mature and profound just because it deals with serious issues, and tugs on people's heartstrings, but that's a matter of personal experience and taste.

OP
OP
Superman2x7

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
The idea behind IGN's article isnt to say Gears is coping God of War, it's to show that there are some similarities with the new approach Gears is taking. No one is saying Gears is coping God of War, its idiotic to think so since Gears has been in development for a while.

The only thing IGN is doing is comparing it to something recent that has also undergone major changes from its predecessors.

Gears has tried to tackle a heavier story and personal emotions before with Gears 2, Dom looking for his wife. It didnt hit home as hard, but they have attempted before to tell a more personal story wrapped in a bigger picture. I found Marcus looking for his father had a bigger emotional impact than Dom looking for his wife because they made Marcus's father a central Pillar of Gears 3.

The reason 5 is being compared to God of War is because its also trying to tell a more personal story and rumors have the game being set in a semi open world, or at least much bigger environments then the previous Gears. If the game is truly focused on just Kat, then it will be the most personalized story of the franchise, not harping on the bigger war happening else where. The other big improvement is the scenery, we didn't get much of it, but the ice lake, the lush forest, these are things never emphasized in the previous game.

On the surface it does look like another Gears with the same gunplay, but what their E3 trailer showed me was its trying to be more than just the previous games, its trying new things and possibly being a more focused story line. I'm super excited, I enjoyed Gears 4 but thought it was so derivative, it was even more safe than Halo 4 was, so to see 5 take a new direction and a different step, it's exciting.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, cant see anything that makes me think they are doing anything dramatically different.

Much more emphasis on drama compared to just mindless fighting when Gears 4 was shown.

They've sidelined the main male character and might be making him an antagonist in favour of the others.

A more intimate and personal journey storyline compared to just facing another boring threat.

Seems to have a few more slower, quiet moments.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
not really sure i see these big fundamental changes to the gears template. it still looks completely identifiable as gears of war, which god of war didn't. camera angle, gameplay, story, design principles. everything changed in god of war. gears of war 5 looks to be doing what it's always done...but now it has the potential to have a story worth paying attention to featuring characters you will more likely give a shit about...those are a first for the gears of war franchise and it's a change i approve of, but god of war this is not.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
Much more emphasis on drama compared to just mindless fighting when Gears 4 was shown.

They've sidelined the main male character and might be making him an antagonist in favour of the others.

A more intimate and personal journey storyline compared to just facing another boring threat.

Seems to have a few more slower, quiet moments.

Not really what I want from a Gears of war game, the Doom reboot is a better source of inspiration. Gears story is never going to be a big pull but the combat is. Problem is this is the 6th entry in the series and it needs a refresh much like what i.d accomplished.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really what I want from a Gears of war game, the Doom reboot is a better source of inspiration. Gears story is never going to be a big pull but the combat is. Problem is this is the 6th entry in the series and it needs a refresh much like what i.d accomplished.

Funny thing is Gears was always the walking simulator type of game that some people deride endlessly, but it was still amazing despite being generally slower than most other games.

But this shows they're listening to feedback and taking risks which is good.