• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
100% agree. That the combat they did show featured no shooting from behind cover, grabbed my attention big time. Story-wise, I was struggling to see the point of continuing the franchise after 3, and whilst playing 4 until the ending. Really glad they're focussing on Kait's story with her as the main.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I didn't feel any tonal shift, to be honest.

They've been trying to inject emotional subplots in Gears since Gears 2 and it always came across as out of place and arbitrary. The characters are poorly designed, poorly written and the gameplay and world in no way match up with these shifts in tone. Gears feels stuck in the edgy early days of the Xbox 360 generation and it's not really showing much signs of changing up.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
So, I am going to go out on a limb here. I watched the reveal and literally the only thing I was looking for was cover, and aside from in that one room near the end (which didnt seem the right height), there didnt appear to be any.

GoW levels have always felt kinda boxy due to tons of cover.

So it got me thinking: "if you remove cover, how does it play?"

Lots of melee, close combat, multi-mob encounters. I am going to say(well, hope for) a mashup of souls/surge with some resident evil.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't feel any tonal shift, to be honest.

They've been trying to inject emotional subplots in Gears since Gears 2 and it always came across as out of place and arbitrary. The characters are poorly designed, poorly written and the gameplay and world in no way match up with these shifts in tone. Gears feels stuck in the edgy early days of the Xbox 360 generation and it's not really showing much signs of changing up.

You got all of that out of the short video they showed at the press conference? lol

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
You got all of that out of the short video they showed at the press conference? lol

Lol indeed. Why would you assume i'm talking exclusively about Gears 5?

I'm saying that they've tried to make emotional inroads in the Gears universe and came up short every time. And the latest Gears trailer gives little incentive to think that they've finally cracked the code.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
I didn't get that impression at all.

Looks like Gears 4 but with different playable character (who at least is more interesting than Fenix Jnr) and tweaks to the enemies (like Halo 5 had compared to Halo 4).

Either way I wanna play it, just need fewer endless waves of robots in this one and I'm good.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I hope not. Love God of War but don't touch to Gears ! The formula works fine.

My impression was just that this episode seems more Story driven, which is great !

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That trailer they showed during the conference gave me no indication they've radically improved their storytelling in the way God of War did. Not even close actually. I was kinda cringing as they tried to deliver this super serious moment with Kait seeing a dead loved one.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
I think if you look at the info originally coming out about gears 4, they wanted to take that game in a different direction then what we ended up with, possibly even a different planet, with a much different tone to gears 2/3. Wouldn't be surprised if somewhere deep in development they decided that Marcus and Co. Needed to be involved to transition to these new characters, and hence we are seeing a bigger tonal shift now

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah because Gears 5 development starter right after God of War's release..