• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
However, there's bad news for fans of couch co-op – the local split-screen co-op mode has now been canceled. It's a blow to those who have been waiting since launch for the old-school feature, but it's seemingly a matter of priorities.

"In order to improve and accelerate ongoing live service development, and to better address player feedback and quality of life updates, we have reallocated studio resources and are no longer working on local campaign split-screen co-op," said 343 Industries.

www.ign.com

Halo Infinite Forge Mode Gets November Release Date, But Split-Screen Co-op Cancelled - IGN

Halo Infinite's Forge mode is coming in November alongside the long-awaited online co-op - but split-screen campaign co-op has been cancelled.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
microsoft just take halo infinite back just remove it from gamepass and everyones libraries just erase the damn thing from existence.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
expected honestly. Shame to those who still do play split screen co op primarily.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
Last post about this, it's why I bought the game and really an XSX, I kept buying their BS and now it's just quietly canceled, fuck them.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Player's choice GOTY from 2021 lol. This game fell from grace fast

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Thought this would be a Series S/X only feature but still happen. Cancelling it all together is a bummer.
reminder they did promise it back in 2019 after the Halo 5 backlash of not having it

www.gamespot.com

E3 2019: Halo Infinite Has Split-Screen Multiplayer, Microsoft Reaffirms

In a blog post on Xbox Wire, Microsoft reaffirms that Halo Infinite will include the long-awaited return of split-screen support to the series.
Fake it till you (not)make it.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bro how the eff. Just make it next gen exclusive or something if the Xbox One couldn't do it. Massive assumption on my part, I know. But this goes against exactly what they promised after Halo 5. Wow.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I love how they used this game having it as a major positive community marketing beat given how much people were upset that Halo 5 didn't have it... just to not have it anyway.

This game is a disaster.

343 Industries is also launching two new multiplayer maps on November 8 which will showcase exactly what Forge can do – as they were made entirely in Forge Mode.

Why does 343 think people want this from them? Let the community make forge maps. People want unique shit from 343. This is the exact same thing they did with Halo 5 and it made all maps look the same.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Man Xbox used to be the home of couch co-op. Now it's just Nintendo who have any real commitment to it on consoles.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Well now I'm really glad I didn't buy Halo Infinite and just chose to experience it on gamepass.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
F in the chat for a classic feature.

I have no doubt that their data shows barely anyone still plays split screen co-op (I don't), but it's sad nonetheless.

This might be the final nail in the coffin for split screen co-op in the modern era. All of the couch co-op games I've played in the last 5 years have been shared-screen experiences. With graphical fidelity being pushed so heavily by most modern experiences, it's really taxing to do split screen.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking hell. Didn't they do a whole thing about learning their lesson from Halo 5, and what an important part of the Halo experience split-screen co-op is?

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Surprised they're cancelling from all and not just the Xbox One.

Sucks, but it is what it is. I imagine they ran into technical difficulties and I can't say I blame them for wanting platform parity

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the continued empty promises. 🙃

Updated:

A timeline:

Ikon

Oct 26, 2017
Meh. Just means I'll never buy it then. But then my interest in Halo keeps decreasing with every release anyway.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Was always my favorite way to play Halo. Online is just not the same as being in the same room with a friend. A shame.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell. Didn't they do a whole thing about learning their lesson from Halo 5, and what an important part of the Halo experience split-screen co-op is?
343 apparently learned a ton of lessons. Yet they've been in the same class for more than a decade now.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I never finished the campaign when it was new, and now I guess I never will. It's just such a boring experience, it really needs another person around to shoot the shit with while you play or it's just so...empty. Oh well. Just makes it pretty clear to never give 343i money for a project until it's clear whether or not they'll ever finish it.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
A huge bummer. I have to imagine part of why 343 is struggling with this so much that it would theoretically have to run on an Xbox One and they just can't get it in an acceptable state.

If that's the case I'd rather they keep it as a current gen only feature. Split Screen has always been a huge part of the Halo experience.

BumbleChump

Aug 19, 2018
Reminder:
It does have splitscreen multiplayer. 4 player splitscreen on smaller maps, 2 player splitscreen on big team battle

DatManOvaDer

Oct 25, 2017
Infinite does have split screen multiplayer but it was pretty clear that people were pretty upset at 5 not having split screen campaign too
image0.png

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
F in the chat for a classic feature.

I have no doubt that their data shows barely anyone still plays split screen co-op (I don't), but it's sad nonetheless.

This might be the final nail in the coffin for split screen co-op in the modern era. All of the couch co-op games I've played in the last 5 years have been shared-screen experiences. With graphical fidelity being pushed so heavily by most modern experiences, it's really taxing to do split screen.
How can you have data when you haven't had the feature in a decade?

Ratadad

Nov 22, 2021
Wow. The promise of split screen co-op is the reason I've kept Halo installed on my console.

Adios, Halo.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Holy shit. I've been giving 343 a pass since the beginning because I have generally enjoyed their Halo games (5 being a standout in multiplayer, Infinite having the best gunplay in the series) but goddamn.

Jul 26, 2018
I have personally no investment in Halo, both generally as a game or as a game for couch coop, but really it's been a hot mess from a communication point of view. They're just paying the price of their bad planning :/