• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/1...3-the-black-order-ended-up-on-nintendo-switch
In an interview following The Game Awards, we asked Nintendo of America president and COO Reggie Fils-Aime about working with Koei Tecmo, who is developing Ultimate Alliance 3, and if previous collaborations on Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors helped make this project happen.

"It did. What happens in the world of development is you have companies who have positive experiences in working together, coupled with franchises being available, and the franchise owner wanting to do something with a particular franchise," Fils-Aime told IGN. "And in this case, those three elements came together in order to create the opportunity for that game."

"And we love that," he added. "And we're constantly looking for those types of opportunities. It's the Team Ninja portion of Koei Tecmo that's working on this. They've got a lot of skills, and it really helped paint a picture of what that game is going to be. We're tremendously excited about it."
Sounds like a similar situation to Sony/Marvel Games/Insomniac and Spidey
While this is the third entry in the Marvel Ultimate Alliance series, it's the first developed by Koei Tecmo, as the original games were developed under Activision. We asked Fils-Aime if those original titles could also eventually make their way to Switch.

"I really can't comment on that. That's not been an area of focus for us," he said. "What we want to do is we want to make this game a great experience, and certainly with all of the excitement around the overall Marvel universe, we think it's going to be a great opportunity."

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Interesting honestly. I like Marvel Games' strategy of working with platform holders and shopping around looking for developers to work on their properties. God, Activision and Marvel's partnership ending was the best thing to happen to superhero games in a LONG time. Also, since the Ultimate Alliance games have been delisted from digital storefronts, I'm not sure if we'll be seeing any sort of remaster or what not. Don't Activision still own the rights to those games?

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not against a Marvel Musou game on switch, but It feels weird to use the Ultimate Alliance name for (what looks very much like) a Marvel Musou game.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not against a Marvel Musou game on switch, but It feels weird to use the Ultimate Alliance name for (what looks very much like) a Marvel Musou game.
Nah this isn't a Musou game, lol. Different developers are working on it. This'll have more in common with Team Ninja's other games than a Musou title.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Interesting, I guess KT really wanted to do something with Marvel, and Nintendo was basically the link between all of that.
But that doesn't look like a Musou game? Hell, it's not even the Musou devs on it.

Oct 29, 2017
Also, since the Ultimate Alliance games have been delisted from digital storefronts, I'm not sure if we'll be seeing any sort of remaster or what not. Don't Activision still own the rights to those games?
So I'm not crazy...I must have purchased UA1 and 2 from PSN like RIGHT before they were taken down, because a few days after I told my friend about it and we couldn't find them on the store from his console.

What is the deal with this?

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm not crazy...I must have purchased UA1 and 2 from PSN like RIGHT before they were taken down, because a few days after I told my friend about it and we couldn't find them on the store from his console.

Could possibly have to do with this in some way actually. Like if Nintendo got the sole license to the Ultimate Alliance series. Makes me wonder if we're getting a Switch port of those two games.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
The article doesn't really answer what's in the headline though? Like, it doesn't really address how Nintendo and Marvel ended up doing this deal.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Not surprised about there being no plan for MAU1&2, since Activision lost the license and they don't even appear to be listed on PSN/XB1 anymore.

I'm into this whole Team Ninja-Nintendo romance though.

Also, every time someone calls this a musou game, an angel loses its wings.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
Interesting honestly. I like Marvel Games' strategy of working with platform holders and shopping around looking for developers to work on their properties. God, Activision and Marvel's partnership ending was the best thing to happen to superhero games in a LONG time. Also, since the Ultimate Alliance games have been delisted from digital storefronts, I'm not sure if we'll be seeing any sort of remaster or what not. Don't Activision still own the rights to those games?

I was pondering the same thing, luckily I had purchased them over a year ago (on multiple platforms!). You'd think after all of the trouble they went through to re-release them..... they'd be available to purchase for more than 2 years :P

Oct 27, 2017

The rights expired. It happened with the Marvel vs. Capcom 2 rerelease last generation, and Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 for a while.

It seems to be a particularly recurring thing with Activision games though, at least the licensed ones. Deadpool disappeared and reappeared several times as well. I think it also affected some of the Platinum games like Transformers and TMNT.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah this isn't a Musou game, lol. Different developers are working on it. This'll have more in common with Team Ninja's other games than a Musou title.
Interesting, I guess KT really wanted to do something with Marvel, and Nintendo was basically the link between all of that.

But that doesn't look like a Musou game? Hell, it's not even the Musou devs on it.

What games have the current developers worked on before? I was going off of the trailer where:

-The angle is behind the back 3rd person and not isometric, like musou games
-tons of person-sized enemies on screen, like a musou game
-Limited & janky animation/hit reactions, like a musou game
-filled with short combos that end in a flashy attack, like a musou game (Think XXY and XXXY)

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
You should either watch the trailer or play a Musou game because you must have not done at least one of those two things to think it looks like a Musou game.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Activision is the worst when it comes to renewing liscenses for games like this so i hope Nintendo will at least keep it around for a while.

Deadpool's game got delisted the quickest ive seen in history.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Team Ninja have also worked on Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors with Omega Force (also they developed Metroid Other M).
You are right that this isn't a Musou game and it wouldn't make sense to be one.
I'm sure the coop multiplayer is a core feature of the game and that Nintendo will really focus on it when marketing the game (because it fits very well the Switch concept).

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I know this is a MUA game, but man, if there's one license that would fit perfectly with musou, it's Marvel.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
What games have the current developers worked on before? I was going off of the trailer where:

-filled with short combos that end in a flashy attack, like a musou game (Think XXY and XXXY)
The team is best known for Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden. Also Metroid Other M, if you're into that sort of thing.

But everything you're describing there, besides the camera angle, also applies to previous MUA games. Or any beat-'em-up. It's pretty non-specific. The press release for the game also mentioned that this over-the-shoulder camera angle for the game is an optional mode. The traditional fixed camera is most likely still the default option.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Team Ninja have also worked on Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors with Omega Force (also they developed Metroid Other M).
You are right that this isn't a Musou game and it wouldn't make sense to be one.
I'm sure the coop multiplayer is a core feature of the game and that Nintendo will really focus on it when marketing the game (because it fits very well the Switch concept).
The team is best known for Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden. Also Metroid Other M, if you're into that sort of thing.

But everything you're describing there, besides the camera angle, also applies to previous MUA games. Or any beat-'em-up. It's pretty non-specific. The press release for the game also mentioned that this over-the-shoulder camera angle for the game is an optional mode. The traditional fixed camera is most likely still the default option.
Why has no one mentioned Nioh lol

Anyways Team Ninja have a great relationship with Nintendo making musous for franchises such as Zelda and Fire Emblem so no surprises that they'd recommend 'em to Marvel.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's a direct sequel to the previous Ultimate Alliances games. It's not a musou. Check out videos of the previous games.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Why has no one mentioned Nioh lol

Anyways Team Ninja have a great relationship with Nintendo making musous for franchises such as Zelda and Fire Emblem so no surprises that they'd recommend 'em to Marvel.
Probably because Nioh's team is working on Nioh 2, so there are different teams.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel going to Nintendo makes a lot of sense like how they went to Sony.

But how does that conversation lead to a new Ultimate Alliance. Thats pretty random.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a direct sequel to the previous Ultimate Alliances games. It's not a musou. Check out videos of the previous games.
I've played the previous MUA games, the last 7-ish Dynasty Warriors games, Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, Samurai Warriors 1 & 2 etc. I spoke to the writer of MUA2 for like an hour at SDCC the year it was coming out.

Can someone link me to the place where it says the 3rd person camera is optional? Because it's weird that that's the camera that they used to announce the game.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

it's like the only frame of reference for any sort of action game is a musou, lol

Can someone link me to the place where it says the 3rd person camera is optional? Because it's weird that that's the camera that they used to announce the game.
In addition to the series' traditional perspective, the new entry will let players select a dynamic, zoomed-in heroic view, allowing for a more immersive play style for single-player or multiplayer when using multiple systems.
https://www.businesswire.com/news/h...ntendo-Marvel-Unite-Nintendo-Switch-Exclusive

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
I picked up MUA1 and MUA2 on PSN and Steam and couldn't find either one anywhere. the delisting makes sense now since Activision doesn't hold the license anymore.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
People need to understand who team ninja are lol. THey primarily work with omega force on collaborations, but its generally omega force that does musou. They also worked with them on toukiden among other things

Marvel going to Nintendo makes a lot of sense like how they went to Sony.

But how does that conversation lead to a new Ultimate Alliance. Thats pretty random.
I imagine that Nintendo was pushing for a game with a strong multiplayer focus, and MUA would be among the first things you would want to talk about if you had that opportunity. I'd also imagine that Nintendo saw it as a huge opportunity to be able to have that many Marvel characters in the same game with the heights the MCU has reached these days, as the games that Sony and Squenix are putting out are a lot more limited in that regard.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
If they can nail an April 26th release date, this is going to do gangbusters.

Oct 25, 2017

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
For the people saying this doesn't really answer how Nintendo landed this game what exactly did you expect them to say? Of course you're going to get the "good partnerships" PR line and not the "We paid Marvel x amount of dollars for the exclusivity"

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad Koei Tecmo/Team Ninja is in charge of the development, I'm very interested with them on board.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
They've secured exclusive rights to the third installment of a franchise, and aren't trying to get the first two on the system? Weird.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
They've secured exclusive rights to the third installment of a franchise, and aren't trying to get the first two on the system? Weird.
I mean the focus is on the new product and the second game wasn't very good compared to the first.

Also feels like this is definitely aiming for a March to May release window no way do they want to miss thatendgame synergy