• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Amanobuff

Oct 28, 2017
Singapore
I know it's slightly unrelated but man, I can't wait for what other developers will do with the Star Wars franchise once it is finally free from EA's claws.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Definitely sounds like Marvel Games owns the Ultimate Alliance brand and not Activision (though they'd be tied to any rerelease of 1 and 2). So if Nintendo ever bowed out of the series. Someone else could probably make a 4 if they payed enough for it.

I wonder what other sequels this could happen with. A very interesting development to be sure.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the people saying this doesn't really answer how Nintendo landed this game what exactly did you expect them to say? Of course you're going to get the "good partnerships" PR line and not the "We paid Marvel x amount of dollars for the exclusivity"

The only thing they paid was for the license, much like Sony. It makes no sense for a publisher to pay for exclusive in what it is a license when they're a platform holder.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Nope, not really weird. The second wasn't that great, and the first is really old. The third game can stand just fine on its two legs.
I mean the original is still great even if dated. But theees a lot more to a rerelease than just releasing it you'd need the original company involved for getting the assets not to mention porting. So obviously the focus is on the new instead

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Interesting, I guess KT really wanted to do something with Marvel, and Nintendo was basically the link between all of that.

But that doesn't look like a Musou game? Hell, it's not even the Musou devs on it.

Yea well they were in talks since Team ninja was pitching that injustice-like Marvel fighter a few years ago. They passed and now here we are

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
What games have the current developers worked on before? I was going off of the trailer where:

-The angle is behind the back 3rd person and not isometric, like musou games
-tons of person-sized enemies on screen, like a musou game
-Limited & janky animation/hit reactions, like a musou game
-filled with short combos that end in a flashy attack, like a musou game (Think XXY and XXXY)

Looks like Ultimate Alliance bro.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Yea well they were in talks since Team ninja was pitching that injustice-like Marvel fighter a few years ago. They passed and now here we are
So... TN approached Marvel, then Marvel approached Nintendo and then Nintendo approached TN? And Marvel own the Ultimate Alliance IP, or is that on loan from Activision or something.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
With Team Ninja on board maybe we'll finally get a great MUA!

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
The PSP ports of X-Men Legends II and MUA1 are secretly two of the best games on the platform, IMO.
Same here, and I just went to restart MUA1 on my Vita (I own the umd, but you have to Henkaku the vita to get it on there because they stupidly never made it available digitally).

I loved X-Men Legends 2 but never got far in MUA1, but starting it up now it's a lot rougher than I remember, haha. Resolution is so low, and the frame rate is pretty choppy too. I think I was a lot more forgiving of that stuff back when they were newer.

Thankfully I own it on Steam too, so I might give that version a try.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting, I guess KT really wanted to do something with Marvel, and Nintendo was basically the link between all of that.

Not really, it looks like Marvel approached SONY/Nintendo for projects, and they each chose a developer for those first-party pitches.

Marvel going to Nintendo makes a lot of sense like how they went to Sony.

But how does that conversation lead to a new Ultimate Alliance. Thats pretty random.

Couch multiplayer favors Nintendo. Cinematic story games SONY.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
so what happened to that Wario tweet where he said its only a 1 year exclusivity? Everywhere I read makes it sound its as exclusive as... I dunno, Mario x Rabbids for example.

{Marvelous}

Jan 2, 2018
Same here, and I just went to restart MUA1 on my Vita (I own the umd, but you have to Henkaku the vita to get it on there because they stupidly never made it available digitally).

I loved X-Men Legends 2 but never got far in MUA1, but starting it up now it's a lot rougher than I remember, haha. Resolution is so low, and the frame rate is pretty choppy too. I think I was a lot more forgiving of that stuff back when they were newer.

Thankfully I own it on Steam too, so I might give that version a try.

MUA1 is capped at 20fps on PSP I believe, it's still an exemplary port though in my opinion. I occasionally play it in PPSSPP nowadays with the cap raised to 30.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
That's mostly vague PR-speak and I doubt it's the full story. Kinda suspect it didn't begin as either a Switch exclusive or an MUA game, but maybe we'll learn more closer to release.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
MUA1 is capped at 20fps on PSP I believe, it's still an exemplary port though in my opinion. I occasionally play it in PPSSPP nowadays with the cap raised to 30.
I had a problem emulating that game (on Android) where the cutscenes wouldn't play. The audio would, but it was just a black screen in any prerendered cutscenes.

Haven't tried it in a long time though, so maybe that glitch was finally fixed, or maybe there was a random emulator setting that fixed it that I didn't know about. Unfortunately the only Android phone I have (Moto Z Play) I'm not sure would be able to run it any better than on a standard PSP, but I guess it couldn't hurt to try!

I do agree that it was still an impressive port, especially considering that was a cross gen game at the time too. I think other than these games, the most impressive PSP port I played back in the day was Tomb Raider Anniversary, it was sersiouly impressive having that game on a portable system.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's mostly vague PR-speak and I doubt it's the full story. Kinda suspect it didn't begin as either a Switch exclusive or an MUA game, but maybe we'll learn more closer to release.
If TK has been going after Marvel for a while, I think the game has been rebooted at some point. Maybe started, then revived when Nintendo came on board. Nintendo just feels like a late addition to this

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
For everyone, why this one is an exclusive:

Nintendo funded the whole project and also publishes the game, so why in the world they should allow that game to appear on any other console? Especially because Nintendo basically prints their seal of quality onto this game.

BTW: This is another thing I found

Basically, "The Black Order" will only be the first part of this game, with multiple further story's in the future coming as DLC with even more fighters and costumes. If the base game is great and it doesn't feel like something was left out, I am all for that.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting honestly. I like Marvel Games' strategy of working with platform holders and shopping around looking for developers to work on their properties. God, Activision and Marvel's partnership ending was the best thing to happen to superhero games in a LONG time. Also, since the Ultimate Alliance games have been delisted from digital storefronts, I'm not sure if we'll be seeing any sort of remaster or what not. Don't Activision still own the rights to those games?

Presumably yes, any re-releases would need to go through Activision

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo funded the whole project and also publishes the game, so why in the world they should allow that game to appear on any other console? Especially because Nintendo basically prints their seal of quality onto this game.

Basically, "The Black Order" will only be the first part of this game, with multiple further story's in the future coming as DLC with even more fighters and costumes. If the base game is great and it doesn't feel like something was left out, I am all for that.

does this dude have a track record? I don't doubt what he's saying (it's pretty much "modern game business") but it's pretty out of nowhere

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017

The dude cites no sources and seems to be pure speculation based off the current market trends. Which means it's likely baloney

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The old Marvel Ultimate Alliance games are in a tricky spot. Activision published them, so they "own" them. But they don't own the rights to sell them anymore. Hence why they've vanished from storefronts - they're essentially in limbo unless Marvel buys them off of Activision.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
They've secured exclusive rights to the third installment of a franchise, and aren't trying to get the first two on the system? Weird.

Probably Activision has a say on that, their Switch support so far has been Skylanders and Crash (only because one employee showed them it was a feasible port because at first they didn't want to do it).

Personally I'd like to see the first one, the second from what I remember I didn't like it.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
The old Marvel Ultimate Alliance games are in a tricky spot. Activision published them, so they "own" them. But they don't own the rights to sell them anymore. Hence why they've vanished from storefronts - they're essentially in limbo unless Marvel buys them off of Activision.

Activision rereleased 1 and 2 on current gen consoles not too long ago if I remember correctly.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
For the people saying this doesn't really answer how Nintendo landed this game what exactly did you expect them to say? Of course you're going to get the "good partnerships" PR line and not the "We paid Marvel x amount of dollars for the exclusivity"

Marvel went to Sony for Spider-Man so I wouldn't bet on Nintendo paying the exclusivity but more Marvel in search of the best teams for their games.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Marvel went to Sony for Spider-Man so I wouldn't bet on Nintendo paying the exclusivity but more Marvel in search of the best teams for their games.
Do people really believe Marvel just went to Sony for Spiderman with no sort of deal being made? Why wouldn't Marvel have just went to Insomniac directly and gotten their game on more platforms if Sony didn't pay for the rights to the game in some way? I know there was a theory that Sony got an exclusive Spiderman game in exchange for allowing Marvel to use Spiderman in the MCU films, was that debunked?

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Do people really believe Marvel just went to Sony for Spiderman with no sort of deal being made? Why wouldn't Marvel have just went to Insomniac directly and gotten their game on more platforms if Sony didn't pay for the rights to the game in some way? I know there was a theory that Sony got an exclusive Spiderman game in exchange for allowing Marvel to use Spiderman in the MCU films, was that debunked?
Yes, long ago.

Marvel is likely picking Nintendo and Sony for partnerships for a few reasons:
1. Both have been very successful publishers for a decade now, both with in-house teams and selecting third parties for projects.
2. Both h large and/or rapidly growing platform install bases with clear demographics to target projects at.
3. Probably the most important reason - Sony and Nintendo as platform holders don't pay royalties. That means more money per sale to go around. That lets Marvel get a bigger cut while still defraying risk by letting someone else fund, develop, and publish the product. Marvel would likely take fewer units sold at a higher per unit return rate and greater critical acceptance at this point.

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Yes, long ago.

Marvel is likely picking Nintendo and Sony for partnerships for a few reasons:
1. Both have been very successful publishers for a decade now, both with in-house teams and selecting third parties for projects.
2. Both h large and/or rapidly growing platform install bases with clear demographics to target projects at.
3. Probably the most important reason - Sony and Nintendo as platform holders don't pay royalties. That means more money per sale to go around. That lets Marvel get a bigger cut while still defraying risk by letting someone else fund, develop, and publish the product. Marvel would likely take fewer units sold at a higher per unit return rate and greater critical acceptance at this point.

I think even more important, they don't want something like EA did to happen with their game, which is sadly common right now in the AAA third party video game industry. That is why Star Wars needs the same treatment.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
I think even more important, they don't want something like EA did to happen with their game, which is sadly common right now in the AAA third party video game industry. That is why Star Wars needs the same treatment.
Right. By partnering with Nintendo and Sony they get to:
1. Reduce the total number of partners (as first parties are effectively an implicit financial partner in all games released on their systems).
2. Work on a per-project basis where they can discretely control a specific products quality and content. This is different from their deal with EA and previous deal with Activision where general application was up to the licensee, they just hold content authorization rights. This per-project method puts them in the driver's seat in terms of the kind of game it will be, not just how Marvel characters are represented.
3. One and two let Marvel effectively have preliminary conversations, let their prospective gaming partners collaborate, then pitch them the specific projects for approval.

It might make less money as a stand alone product but its clear that Disney/Marvel are first and foremost about brand control. They'll take a critical success with high per-unit profit margins over more overall money from mid-tier multi-plats with more people taking a bite out of the overall revenue total.