• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
God bless Nintendo the savior of our world by the way where is mother 3 localzation?

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Speaking of third party. Them Japanese devs are up to something. All the switch is proving, is that there's no point in not having one as a second console/gaming device. I have a PC and a Switch and thats all the gaming machines i ever need in life.

Spartacris

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
I am trully LOVING how nintendo curates releases. They are doing a magnificent job of guiding consumers to superv, interesting and varied content. They deserve all the good will they get this gen, the have trully knocked it out of the park with Switch.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This also makes me remember early days of Switch where many predicted the indie hype was unsustainable and eventually sales would go down. I'm happy to see this proven wrong and Nintendo still treating indies as an important part of their games library.

This is all true.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, screw all this trying to divide into indie game or AAA. Honestly, some of the best experiences this gen have been from smaller, independent teams. No need for the segregation.

That being said, because it's obviously fresh and who they were interviewing here, the latest Nintendo indies direct was amazing and shows what a big commitment Nintendo is making.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
For me personally I'm not seeing it. Barely played it this year bc of Sekiro, DMC5, and RE2 which are not on the system.

Flipmenex

Oct 27, 2017
I would agree, partially. It's definitely the platform I play most indie games / RPGs on, to the point where they kinda feel wrong to play on a PS4 (I don't even consider my laptop as a games machine anymore, which is kinda weird now that I think about it) lol

I use my Switch strictly as a handheld and those games lend themselves perfectly to that. However, this makes me wish the Switch was actually more of an actual portable console in the sense that it's too big and heavy to really treat it as one. I also don't like the sticks or the "d-pad" on the controllers.

Conversely, I don't even entertain the notion of playing a high precision / demanding game on the Switch whenever they do come out there (i'm sure they're fine). The Switch might as well not exist in terms of big scope AAA games for me.

Their need to quickly build up a library for people to have games to play on their console led Nintendo to open the floodgates to everyone early on, and that helped a lot of indie devs gain more visibility / income. Unfortunately, it also led to the current state of the E-shop where like 70% of the games are shovelware crap, 20% are games that came out years ago (not necessarily bad ones), and then we have the actual good new games.

But hey, devs gotta eat and i'm glad people can make a living.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I have exclusively been playing my Switch lately besides League of Legends.

Baba is You, Minit, Wargroove, Iconoclasts. I haven't felt a pull towards flashier games in a while. I think graphically intensive games normally stress me out, the only ones I have really played and enjoyed in the last few generations are the Uncharted games, even then I had my struggles with those games.

Edit: I did enjoy the recent Wolfenstein games as well, looking through my history from the past two years.

I had to look what I have bought in the past two years dating back to January 2017

3DS: 2
PC: 22 (almost all indie outside of Wolfenstein, Tales of, Cuphead)
PS4: 6
Switch: 25

Last edited:

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you didn't get all those games in the early generation. the switch is only 2 years old
It won't get those games regardless.
Yeah, screw all this trying to divide into indie game or AAA. Honestly, some of the best experiences this gen have been from smaller, independent teams. No need for the segregation.

That being said, because it's obviously fresh and who they were interviewing here, the latest Nintendo indies direct was amazing and shows what a big commitment Nintendo is making.
The divide is there because it's true. Switch isn't getting all the games I want to play and chances are it never will. So it isn't the best place to play games.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I will say this is the first time since the nineties that I've been struggling to keep up with games I want to play on a nintendo home platform

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting all my indie games (that aren't hardware intensive and run well) there now instead of on Steam. Sometimes I even double dip. Conceptually, it's a great little device, and it's nice to be back to playing Nintendo's biggest releases after skipping Wii U.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not discrediting the switch, I own one and really like it but there are many games I can't play and will never be able to play on the switch.
Yeah, same here. I just use it much less than my PS4 because I'd rather put my time into new games like God of War, Spider-Man, and Red Dead. I personally use my Switch mainly for games I've already played, like Breath of the Wild, LA Noire, Skyrim, Mario Kart, etc.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
People, there is a difference between an indie game with a small team, and the production values of a AAA game with a massive team. Not that one is better than the other, they're just categories.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Absolutely, a game is a game. I'm not taking that away. However based purely on the headline of whether the Switch is best place to play new games, when I cannot play my yearly Ubisoft franchise game on it I just tend to disagree.[/QUOTE
Fair enough in regards to the poor headline.

Oct 27, 2017
I wish that were true, but unless the game is exclusive to the Switch, I don't often consider that version. Most recent example was Trials Rising. On Switch it runs at half the framerate and has greatly reduced graphical fidelity. No thank you. In the past I was buying Indies on Switch if they ran well, but I stopped doing that ever since they chose to charge me for the pleasure of backing up my game saves, a feature no one should have charge for.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People, there is a difference between an indie game with a small team, and the production values of a AAA game with a massive team. Not that one is better than the other, they're just categories.

As a lover of games, this distinction is completely irrelevant to me in the same way a blockbuster versus an independent production is irrelevant to a film lover.

Abdulrahman

Oct 30, 2017
Reality: PC is the best for indie games. Superior graphics, better performance and CHEAPER (or even free sometimes)

The Switch now reminds me of the early days of the PS4, except it's far worse. The PS4 was always getting major third party games, it wasn't ignored.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
As a lover of games, this distinction is completely irrelevant to me in the same way a blockbuster versus an independent production is irrelevant to a film lover.

Exactly this. Why we draw a line in the sand over budgets makes no sense when they can provide equal or greater interest. Anyway, we're all kind of derailing the real topic.

Deleted member 34239

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 24, 2017
Nah, it really isn't and it's not even close. I say this as someone who purchased 2 switches and got rid of them. Portability does not make up for worse performance from non native game(ports), worse controls, worse visuals(ports), worse audio, no party chat or system wide chat features, etc. The only advantage it has to a phone is dedicated controls but as a mobile portable device, it's even worse than my phone. I hope the rumored new switch will address many of these issues.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
The discussion in this thread about indie vs AAA is pretty ridiculous. I exclusively play games on my Switch and I can even acknowledge how there is a lack of AAA games. It's simply harder to put high fidelity, big budget games on the hardware. This shouldn't even be a discussion point.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
At least Nintendo is slowly losing the "only for families /casuals" stigma.
Now they're a legitimate platform again to release your game on.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Indie games, absolutely. AAA titles? Not in the slightest.
That's entirely a result of Switch not getting most AAA titles. And there are legitimate reasons for that in many cases (storage, performance).

Switch leads pretty much everything else though: indies, remasters, non-AAA JP stuff, retrogames, 1st party. In terms of volume it's really just missing out on the ever shrinking AAA segment.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
I mean that's cute and all, but where are them Monster Hunter World, Kingdom Hearts, DmC?

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Indie is the new casual games
Except they don't usually launch under a cloud of controversy and downgrades

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I do feel the distinction between indie game and non indie game usually makes sense. I find indie games tend to focus on a few genres. I wasn't too impressed with the gameplay styles in the latest Direct. I guess this is a good place to ask though, but what are the best indie games in the following categories

2D platformers (SNES style like Mario, not like Super Meat Boy)
2D Zelda style
3D platformers
Action Adventure (3D Zelda style)
Co-op games in general

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Fair enough, but a lot of us are probably scratching our heads at how the Switch is the "best place" for new games when it hasn't gotten stuff like the RE2 remake, DMC5 or Sekiro. And that's just 2019. I love my Switch, but that claim is just asking to be challenged.

And?
Last year I couldn't play Hollow Knight, Into The Breach, Steamworld Dig 2 and many more of my GOTY picks on anything but Switch.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
When did Nintendo become so easy to work with? I am old so I remember when they were a nightmare to deal with for 3rd parties. When they would get jealous of other games getting more attention, sales or acclaim.

Now they are supposedly very helpful and even more importantly take the time and effort to promote all of these small developers. The exposure that Nindies gives to these games probably even helps them on other platforms.