• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Reality: PC is the best for indie games. Superior graphics, better performance and CHEAPER (or even free sometimes)

The Switch now reminds me of the early days of the PS4, except it's far worse. The PS4 was always getting major third party games, it wasn't ignored.
If this "reality" is true, then why are many indie games selling better on the Switch than PC?
I do feel the distinction between indie game and non indie game usually makes sense. I find indie games tend to focus on a few genres. I wasn't too impressed with the gameplay styles in the latest Direct. I guess this is a good place to ask though, but what are the best indie games in the following categories

2D platformers (SNES style like Mario, not like Super Meat Boy)
2D Zelda style
3D platformers
Action Adventure (3D Zelda style)
Co-op games in general
This couldnt be any less true. Like. At all. In fact Indies cover far more genres than modern AAA games. As far as your question.

1. Shovel Knight, Celeste, Blaster Master
2. Blossom Tales
3. A Hat in Time, Snake Pass
4. 3D Zelda, I don't really have much. Rarely anyone tries to copy this formula, at least as of yet.
5. Overcooked, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, and Snipperclips.

These are all my opinion BTW.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
What Nintendo is doing is very similar to what Sony did at the start of the gen with the ps4. Nintendo obviously have more of an incentive to see the initiative through the entire gen due to less AAA games on the system. The way Sony shifted focus was pretty shitty.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I do feel the distinction between indie game and non indie game usually makes sense. I find indie games tend to focus on a few genres. I wasn't too impressed with the gameplay styles in the latest Direct. I guess this is a good place to ask though, but what are the best indie games in the following categories

2D platformers (SNES style like Mario, not like Super Meat Boy)
2D Zelda style
3D platformers
Action Adventure (3D Zelda style)
Co-op games in general
Indies cover way more genres than modern AAA. You haven't been paying attention

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
When did Nintendo become so easy to work with? I am old so I remember when they were a nightmare to deal with for 3rd parties. When they would get jealous of other games getting more attention, sales or acclaim.

Now they are supposedly very helpful and even more importantly take the time and effort to promote all of these small developers. The exposure that Nindies gives to these games probably even helps them on other platforms.
Around Wii U they made some big changes that nobody noticed because Wii U was bad

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
If this "reality" is true, then why are many indie games selling better on the Switch than PC?

This couldnt be any less true. Like. At all. In fact Indies cover far more genres than modern AAA games. As far as your question.

1. Shovel Knight, Celeste, Blaster Master
2. Blossom Tales
3. A Hat in Time, Snake Pass
4. 3D Zelda, I don't really have much. Rarely anyone tries to copy this formula, at least as of yet.
5. Overcooked, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, and Snipperclips.

These are all my opinion BTW.
Well there are plenty of games that aren't indie games that also aren't AAA titles. Nintendo makes many of them, I was including those too. Thanks for the answers though

LRB1983

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Time to play Sekiro!
Time to play Resident Evil 2!
Time to play Devil May Cry 5!
oh wait.

The best place to play new games...

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
Working hard every day on my game to hopefully be a part of the Nindie family. It's definitely a dream of mine! Great article!

Apr 16, 2018
Can't agree.

Too many of the indie games on my Switch consistently crash, hang, or otherwise glitch out for me to enjoy playing them.

I will say that buying new games for my Switch is more exciting than the other consoles, though.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Yes and Switch gets those too. But that sort of shows how self serving these arbitrary definitions of what is AAA , not AAA and indie can be.
Well Nintendo themselves make the distinction. I certainly expect different types of games when they do a general Direct vs an indie showcase, and they tend to fall in line with my expectations.

Sure but Switch does a pretty decent job getting everything that isn't AAA too.
I wasn't bashing the Switch library, as it's my primary console. I was merely saying I can see why there is a distinction for indie games. If there are indie games like Odyssey and BotW I'd love to play them though (and I'm not talking production values, just gameplay style).

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Moldenhauer's Phantasy Star t-shirt. I could not stop staring at it.

I also realize I'm gonna have to buy a set of blue/red Joy-cons for Cuphead, just because it's the right thing to do.

Edit: So many people not even watching the video, which is obviously indie-focused after the Nindies Showcase from earlier this week. I can see why the reactions are what they are given the title though.

Last edited:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Id rather play indies on my ps4 tbh. Switch is great for Nintendo exclusives.

Feb 20, 2019
By the way ( kind of out of the subject but hey ), did you guys play any free indie that you enjoyed on the switch? Tell me, I'm interested

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Its def. the place where i get to plays and try out most new games. Big consoles are pretty much "demoted" to AAA only releases, everything else is on Switch. Depending on what kind of games you prefer, i can see why Switch would be the new game plattform for some.

This isnt representative to all games, but listening to gaming podcasts - you usually hear them talking about the 1-2 big AAA releases of that time period, maybe another popular f2p title ala Apex...and then like 3-4 games they tried out on Switch.

With +20 games hitting the eShop every week its easy to find something new, interesting to try at regular base.
Working hard every day on my game to hopefully be a part of the Nindie family. It's definitely a dream of mine! Great article!
Keep us updated and best of luck.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I dunno about that... Sony's GDC booth is heavily showcasing indies, and didn't MS just announce a new promo for indie games on GamePass? That said, Sony and MS are at different stages of the lifecycle to Nintendo, where arguably there's less scope for indies to break out. It's just the nature of the lifecycle.
Yeah, I remember Sony focusing heavy on indies early this gen, but then....they just kind of stopped. After their heavy hitters starting releasing there wasn't much talk of indies. Nintendo is definitely relying on indies in between their big releases, and I guess Microsoft and Sony have less need to given their third party support, which probably explains why they aren't featuring them as much anymore. I did see that MS has an event, which is great. Just learned that! And maybe Sony will talk about indies in their upcoming presentation? Hope so. We're in a golden age of indies!!

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Can't agree.

Too many of the indie games on my Switch consistently crash, hang, or otherwise glitch out for me to enjoy playing them.

I will say that buying new games for my Switch is more exciting than the other consoles, though.

What games are doing this? Cannot count on one hand the times that I've encountered a problem with the50+ I've purchased

SMD

Oct 28, 2017

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I would never buy half the games I've gotten if it wasn't for the switch, even though I owned a PS4 and have a plenty capable pc
Switch is ideal for games for me

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, cheaper consoles than the Switch can run, say, Doom at 60FPS rather than 30, so I certainly wouldn't regard the Switch as the best place for this particular new game, not to mention the games that don't even get a port, of which there are still many.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The funny part is, even if DMC5 came to Switch, no multiplatform owner would choose that version over a more powerful console. People complain about games like Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed not being on the console, but those games would need to sacrifice so much to even run that it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
YIIK: A Post-Modern RPG, Omensight, and Sinner: Sacrifice for Redemption to name a few off the top of my head.

I've encountered issues with some Ubisoft games, Southpark rpgs in particular, those have been the only ones I had issues with. I know people had complaints about Dead Cells performance, but that has evened out now to an enjoyable experience

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of misplaced and misinformed anger and bitterness.
Marked the OP in yellow and the video is pretty short. Not sure what else to do, but I guess the thread was instantly ruined upon the first reply, lol

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I mean, cheaper consoles than the Switch can run, say, Doom at 60FPS rather than 30, so I certainly wouldn't regard the Switch as the best place for this particular new game, not to mention the games that don't even get a port, of which there are still many.

The OP and video is talking about indie devs. I don't think Doom is an indie game.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I think I appreciate the switch for the simple notion of plug and play concept of consoles that sadly is slowly becoming less and less.

Edit: By plug and play, I do just mean, the amount of time from me coming home with a game, putting it in, and being ready to go. I know certain third party on the switch ruin this, but for the large part of games I have been buying it reflects the simple put it in and go.

same! also want to give a shout out to Switch's user interface/home menu/start up screen. That thing loads quick, never really lags when i quickly push the home button and get out of a game. Meanwhile, my PS4 nearly has a heart attack and prepares itself to chew me out on not turning my console off properly.

Apr 16, 2018
I've encountered issues with some Ubisoft games, Southpark rpgs in particular, those have been the only ones I had issues with. I know people had complaints about Dead Cells performance, but that has evened out now to an enjoyable experience

Ubisoft games crash regularly on the other two consoles in my experience, so I wouldn't be too surprised to find the Switch ports aren't much better.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ultimately, we've seen this before with the PS4 and PSVita, and before that the Xbox 360 and Steam. It's not going to last. I am surprised that there's yet to be complaints about oversaturation by devs (releasing 20+ games a week will guarantee several commercial failures weekly, as demonstrated by the PS4), and I do think that the argument that there's a perception that "everything is high quality" just because it's on a Nintendo console is outright bullshit. With that said, the article is about devs that had just received promotion on an official Nintendo presentation, so I wouldn't expect any of them to turn around and badmouth the Switch.