• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
I've got Apple Arcade, I like SEGA's old arcade titles and the Untitled Goose Game. Put the two together, guaranteed instant classic, right?

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This looks super good to me. I should do some research on what other games are available on Apple Arcade 'cause I don't have any Apple devices right now, but if there are other games that interest me I might buy an Apple TV just for the games.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
This looks super good to me. I should do some research on what other games are available on Apple Arcade 'cause I don't have any Apple devices right now, but if there are other games that interest me I might buy an Apple TV just for the games.

Thank you for making this post because it made me actually look up what Apple TV is out of curiosity. I always assumed it was a literal TV that would be overly expensive and pointless since I already have a TV, but it turns out it's just a little streaming box? I've avoided playing more than a handful Apple Arcade games because I hate playing them on my old laptop with no battery life that heats up in 30 seconds and is loud as hell... and all this time I could have just bought a little streaming box...

Anyway, just ordered one that should hopefully arrive in time for Air Twister. I'm very excited for it, looks fantastic from what we've seen.

rarewolf

Feb 7, 2019
Anyone subbing for this be sure not to miss Fantasian. Great game that's currently stuck on the platform.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Fantasian is faaaantastic and it's worth tracking down an Apple device for that alone.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Thank you for making this post because it made me actually look up what Apple TV is out of curiosity. I always assumed it was a literal TV that would be overly expensive and pointless since I already have a TV, but it turns out it's just a little streaming box? I've avoided playing more than a handful Apple Arcade games because I hate playing them on my old laptop with no battery life that heats up in 30 seconds and is loud as hell... and all this time I could have just bought a little streaming box...

Anyway, just ordered one that should hopefully arrive in time for Air Twister. I'm very excited for it, looks fantastic from what we've seen.

I've got an Apple TV because it delivers the highest streaming quality out there, but I play zero games on it. In my experience controller support is really really bad. Laggy to non responsive (depending on the game). But it's been a year since I've last tried it, maybe it's gotten better.

ShaggyLobo

Jan 25, 2021
Keep in mind that some of those games are intended for touch devices.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I've got an Apple TV because it delivers the highest streaming quality out there, but I play zero games on it. In my experience controller support is really really bad. Laggy to non responsive (depending on the game). But it's been a year since I've last tried it, maybe it's gotten better.

I looked up a couple of impressions/reviews on the newest model and they seemed okay. Well, worst case scenario I'm out $120 and can just try to resell it.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
It's a shame games like this and Fantasian get trapped on AA especially these days where almost everything is multiplatform. As a diehard Panzer Dragoon fan, I'd buy this game in a heartbeat, day 1.

AustinJ

Jul 18, 2018

This is my experience as well. I don't even attempt to use the Apple TV for Arcade games anymore, I only use my iPad.

Friender

Sep 27, 2020
I don't understand the speaker's language, but I heard "Space Harrier" several times and I like it

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
this looks like space harrier crossed with panzer dragoon like some lost Dreamcast game? holy shit i wanna play. what is traditional controller support on iOS like these days?

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
I'm just hoping it's challenging. Vids look a little slow paced to me, but the early impression suggests replay ability. I've never actually gotten to space harrier's ending.

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017

Don't see the issue. YS needs a break from the greatest game ever and he's got a zillion other classics to his name

Last edited:

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a timed exclusive?

Alternatively, is there a way to play this on Windows, like through an iOS emulator?

Last edited:
OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
I think Apple basically hired him to make this game, so not sure how it works out. I've seen Arcade games that aren't exclusives, however. There's a snippet about that here

Last edited:
OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
What they're saying: "When I went to the Apple headquarters, we had a talk — and we actually had a really good talk about what if I was to do a really straight-forward game you want to play over and over again, like old-school arcades," Suzuki told Axios through an interpreter during a video call today.

• He declined to elaborate on whether he set up the meeting or if Apple approached him.
  • But Apple's openness to do business was clear. Another developer on the call, who was showcasing an Apple Arcade-exclusive sequel to the long-running Cooking Mama series, told Axios that the project started with the plan to make something for the subscription service, with the game idea following.
Between the lines: Apple keeps quiet about how it builds its game business, but it's clearly finding a way to tie its Arcade service to some game creators and brands who have name recognition with hardcore console players.

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
www.gamespot.com

Shenmue Creator Yu Suzuki Explains The Giant Flying Swans Of Air Twister

We spoke with Yu Suzuki about where his giant-flying-animals-on-an-alien-planet video game idea came from.

Neat interview.

That's for the sequel, is what I'm hearing. Does Air Twister represent a small project for you? And, for whatever you plan on doing next, do you think you will get back to doing something larger in scale?

Yes on both accounts. Small project here, then probably go and move on to a larger one later.

:)

Nov 3, 2017
Hm. This looks slower and more methodical, or less flashy I guess, than what I imagined a spiritual successor to Space Harrier to look like. But hey, touch controls.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

This is my experience as well. I don't even attempt to use the Apple TV for Arcade games anymore, I only use my iPad.

So I got the device and connected an XSX controller. It works great with every game I tried including Air Twister, not laggy at all. Maybe they improved controller support with updates or your impressions were from an older model, either way I can definitely recommend the 2021 4K Apple TV for playing games.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
So I got the device and connected an XSX controller. It works great with every game I tried including Air Twister, not laggy at all. Maybe they improved controller support with updates or your impressions were from an older model, either way I can definitely recommend the 2021 4K Apple TV for playing games.

Cool, I'll try it again sometime. Thanks for letting us know here!

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
Hm. This looks slower and more methodical, or less flashy I guess, than what I imagined a spiritual successor to Space Harrier to look like. But hey, touch controls.
I thought that when I watched the first trailer, then I played it and couldn't get past level 4 too easily. It's actually pretty fast and I'm finding it fairly challenging, to the point I need the upgrades to get to the end. I haven't gotten there yet. Things start getting hairy around level 3. It's absolutely not easy.

Last edited:

AustinJ

Jul 18, 2018

Good to hear! I have the slightly older model of Apple TV, so they must have improved performance on the new ones.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So lucky me, my parent had a apple tv 4k just lying around (and apparently an apple arcade account??) so I got to play it. Mind you, it's the model from 2017 I believe, the one with the touch remote, so performance wise I was stuck at 30fps. Rock solid 30fps, but still. Played for about 2 hours. It definitely feels like Planet Harriers while harkening to Space Harrier's ideas of aesthetics. Like PH, Air Twister is slower but there's far more bullets and enemies to avoid. Game controls... fine. I wish it was a bit more "twitchy" but I don't know if it's the controls or the framerate. Either way, game gets much more challenging past the 5th stage. I'm still having fun and getting my arcade 3d shmup/rail shooter fix good with this.

Game seems to have quite a bit of replayabilty too. There's a whole big ass map to unlock stuff with every run you do, very similar to Afterburner Climax. Increase health, get different weapons, costumes and hairstyles. There are also these item assists that offer additional protection but they're one use per run. Unlocking more in the map gets you more uses per run, though. And if none of that interests you there's an arcade mode with the default weapon, set health and no items, alongside 4 difficulties. Boss rush and other stuff I haven't unlocked yet.

One major gripe I have is the music. The soundtrack is great honestly! I'm always humming it when playing. But the stages are too short for the songs get into their hook. So the stages always play the slow startup until it gets to the powerful hooks that have me singing... only for it to cut out because the boss is here and the boss music plays. Nearly every stage is like this.

Overall I'm liking it alot. I've only made it to stage 10 so far but I can see myself revisiting this.

Nov 3, 2017
I thought that when I watched the first trailer, then I played it and couldn't get past level 4 too easily. It's actually pretty fast and I'm finding it fairly challenging, to the point I need the upgrades to get to the end. I haven't gotten there yet. Things start getting hairy around level 3. It's absolutely not easy.

Oh, awesome, that sounds good. Really appreciate the feedback.