• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Mixer, the streaming platform that recently managed to sign on Ninja to stream exclusively on their service over Twitch, is being criticized for what some call strict and likely sexist clothing guidelines.

Mixer's official clothing guidelines states that "There are some limits to what streamers can wear on camera. Our rules on clothing attempt to allow for expression while still keeping things safe for the wide variety of audience members that make use of our site."

The clothing guide itself is split into three sections: "Family friendly stream," "Teen Stream," and "18+ stream."

By Mixer's standards, a family friendly stream must meet the standard of "clothing must cover [the] entire visible body from a few inches above the bust-line. It cannot be strapless and should show little to no cleavage." Similarly, a teen stream is allowed to show "more than a hint of cleavage," but clothing must still be strapless and cover "the entire body."

The 18+ category is where things get noticeably more lenient. Streamers must have their chests covered "from the bust-line to the end of the rib cage," crop tops are allowed, and strapless tops are allowed so long as it's clear that the streamer is still wearing a top. Additionally, "situational appropriate clothing" is allowed, such as swimwear at a beach, and sports bra at a gym.

Mixer is owned by Microsoft.

A number of streamers, content creators, and industry workers on social media have criticized the guideline for being needlessly strict against female/feminine streamers and content creators.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Man I don't know, I don't have a problem with a streaming platform having content guidelines based on age, be it clothing, language, or the games themselves. As long as the rules also target men too it should be fine.

Twitch is already a nightmare content wise for kids (although I will admit I am more thinking about every other problem before tits).

Edit: It is kinda weird how specific the rules are and to see them written out like that though.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
our culture can be pretty sad. we encourage woman to dress and act a certain way but at the same time shit on them for doing it.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If they're categorized and rated, I don't see the problem personally.

But (I have not read the rules), if you're labelling a stream with age ratings, it shouldn't just be clothing, but also language and games being played (guidelines for anyone)

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I don't see a problem with it as long as guys have to wear clothes too. It's not like twitch is just gonna disappear , people can just go there if theyre more interested in what the streamer is wearing than the game or whatever they're doing.

Last edited:

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never Allowed
(These activities will get your account suspended or banned)
  • Nudity
  • Shirtless (regardless of male presenting or female presenting persons), outside of the appropriate settings
  • Open shirts/robes without clothing underneath
  • Underwear/lingerie
  • Transparent clothing worn by itself without an undershirt
  • Focusing the camera below the waist
  • Towels wrapped around the body
  • Breastbone cannot be visible

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
Man I don't know, I don't have a problem with a streaming platform having content guidelines based on age, be it clothing, language, or the games themselves. As long as the rules also target men too it should be fine.

Twitch is already a nightmare content wise for kids (although I will admit I am more thinking about every other problem before tits).

Edit: It is kinda weird how specific the rules are and to see them written out like that though.

The whole thing with the specificity is that they supposedly want these things to be clear cut to avoid Twitch's weird edge cases where you're TECHNICALLY not breaking the rules but no one in their right mind would say you're following them either.

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
At least the guidelines are clear imo. Whereas on Twitch what can and can't be worn is a grey area and seemingly comes down to favoritism and shit like that.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather have strict but well defined limits than loose and arbitrarily applied limits. That being said these seem excessive and I'm not sure if the teen stream designation needs to exist given how small the difference between it and the family friendly designation seem from the definition here.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

giphy.gif

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
The whole thing with the specificity is that they supposedly want these things to be clear cut to avoid Twitch's weird edge cases where you're TECHNICALLY not breaking the rules but no one in their right mind would say you're following them either.

Yeah I do agree. I have enough vague non-enforcements of ToS from Twitter on a daily basis.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
First of many issues I imagine now that they have eyes on them from Ninja.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Unbelieveable.

I guess going to the pool or the beach is an 18+ rated experience.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This seems fine. It's the same as family guidelines on TV I'd assume. Don't see the issue of age boundaries for content that could be seen as sexual.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This shit is so blatantly sexist that it makes my head spin that anyone thought this was a good idea. FFS microsoft.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't seem to be more ridiculous than general broadcasting rules

Are there guidelines for men?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
This is obviously an attempt to try and not have ''boobie' streamers on Mixer. While I've no issue with those type of streamers on Twitch, I also don't think there's an issue with Mixer having stricter dress codes for their platform. At the end of the day Mixer is just hurting themselves by discouraging a lot of streamers to use their platform. If they feel like it's a worthy trade off then fine by me.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
This is obviously an attempt to try and not have ''boobie' streamers on Mixer. While I've no issue with those type of streamers on Twitch, I also don't think there's an issue with Mixer having stricter dress codes for their platform. At the end of the day Mixer is just hurting themselves by discouraging a lot of streamers to use their platform. If they feel like it's a worthy trade off then fine by me.

I mean they are just telling those streamers to mark their streams 18+. Guess the interesting thing would be to see how many views you lose by closing off part of the audience.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Nah I'm fine with that. Enforce it and it's male equivalents equally and you can do whatever you want to do with your dress code.

It's their platform rules to set within reason. And this lands within reason easily. The only problem I see is the incel brigade spamming hateful s*** two women online about this particular issue. But outside of that this is fine.