• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
I wasn't but ask yourself why you think I might.
I mean i said it in my comment which you clearly didn't care to read at all why I thought you were. My point was I wanted share the women of mixers thoughts since no one had decency to show them here or in article which clearly you could care less. Anyway goodbye and have nice day.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So you're saying exactly what I said you're saying.

0086_06416500_0001

This is no sexual but by your argument it is because it's "revealing"

Unless I misread the rules, this would be allowed in teen.

This stream was teen rated

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone actually talked with women mixer streamers like Renee or Britni (way more, just the two off the top of my head). Because every single woman I know on Mixer is standing up for Mixer and the ones tweeting about this are almost all Twitch Partners.

IGN should have interviewed some Mixer streamers.
The way I see it, you never are going to get a complete consensus. A female streamer that isn't a boobie streamer may be like"good it's not fair that I lose because I don't want to show off my goods". Where as you have others saying it's draconian and targeted against women.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Mixer just welcomed known racist and degenerate Ice Poseidon to their platform so while they might appear to have a strict ToS it clearly doesn't encompass incel or racist rhetoric because Ice Poseidon lives and breaths that shit. Gotta be strict on that dress code though.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Based on these guidelines, I would assume the male equivalent would be something like this.

Not Allowed:
tF4MxsE.jpg

Allowed:
TWYkLcJ.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Mixer just welcomed known racist and degenerate Ice Poseidon to their platform so while they might appear to have a strict ToS it clearly doesn't encompass incel or racist rhetoric because Ice Poseidon lives and breaths that shit. Gotta be strict on that dress code though.
Says a lot about the demographic they want on their site.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Whining about bad faith and then trying to pretend 18+ in this situation has nothing to do with sexualization is really cute.

You are literally arguing that 18+ means that they believe everything under the category is sexualized, When it's obvious that they are simply avoiding the need to individually determine if everything is sexualized or not - by simply and clearly limiting family friendly to clothing that won't be misconstrued.

I never said it has "nothing to do" with sexualization. I think if twitch didn't have countless twitch streamers intentionally titillating kids, we wouldn't be having this discussion. So yeah, sexualization is a big part of it. That said, these guidelines don't exist as a judgment on any article of clothing or any person who wears them - they exist to pre-empt the need to judge.

I think it's cute that you routinely mischaracterize all counter arguments.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Based on these guidelines, I would assume the male equivalent would be something like this.

Not Allowed:
tF4MxsE.jpg

Allowed:
TWYkLcJ.jpg

The male equivalent would be a deep v-neck, some tank-tops or anything see-through... And of course any women's clothing that doesn't fit the bill.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
You are literally arguing that 18+ means that they believe everything under the category is sexualized, When it's obvious that they are simply avoiding the need to individually determine if everything is sexualized or not - by simply and clearly limiting family friendly to clothing that won't be misconstrued.

I never said it has "nothing to do" with sexualization. I think if twitch didn't have countless twitch streamers intentionally titillating kids, we wouldn't be having this discussion. So yeah, sexualization is a big part of it. That said, these guidelines don't exist as a judgment on any article of clothing or any person who wears them - they exist to pre-empt the need to judge.

I think it's cute that you routinely mischaracterize all counter arguments.

Blanket 18+ designation of certain types of clothing is part of what causes women's existence to be sexualized.

Which you seem to think is unfair to say for some reason

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
The male equivalent would be a deep v-neck, some tank-tops or anything see-through
Wearing clothing that shows off a man's pecs, as the Rock is in the first pic, would be the male equivalent of cleavage in my opinion. Things like deep v-neck, tank tops and see-through clothing are relatively universal across men and women.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Pfffft hahaha I know this was coming

"Racist and incel content is fine but women better not be thotting it up here"

The woman body is just a problem in streaming/gaming culture

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Says a lot about the demographic they want on their site.

Oh you better believe they are after anyone Twitch bans, no matter how horrid they are. It's very easy for a streamer to get a large audience by being racist because it instantly attracts that group. Ice's entire career was based on N-word spam and treating women and homeless like shit. I actually can't think of a worse streamer and Mixer's founder actually Tweeted him in support after Ice announced he was gonna stream on it after Ninja signed. BTW the Tracksuit guy is also a complete piece of shit racist incel.
7fdztm01z1e31.png

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
The attitude reflected here is very clear: There is nothing wrong with the commodification of women's bodies, but there is something wrong with the owners of those bodies taking advantage of that commodification.

I'm not even just talking about the rules. I'm also talking about posters speaking contemptuously of "titty streamers".

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Where did they welcome him? I don't see anything on Twitter.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The games rating has an effect on the streams target so.. Maybe before finding people "defending this decision weird" learn a little about the platform you are taking shots at. Looks bad when you don't even know the basics but have the nerve to call everyone else out. I find it interesting that no one seemed to care about streaming platforms telling people what they could and couldn't wear until now to be honest. Its not new, and its not the only streaming platform. They all draw their lines somewhere. I would expect such conversation if one of them was weirdly over the top. But this isn't some out of nowhere massively extreme "wear a nuns outfit" nonsense. This is perfectly within reason, as well as within their rights.

Much ado about nothing.

Again, its still ridiculous. Human bodies aren't something we should be teaching kids to be ashamed of.

I'm sure the streams labeled 'family friendly' aren't showing Gears of War either.
It says family friendly stream, so wouldn't they only be allowed to play games with a certain rating? (Gears for example is rated for mature).
You're contradicting yourself there as Gears obviously wouldn't be classed as a "family friendly stream" anyway.

And PUBG, Dead by Daylight, GTAV and Rainbow Six Siege are on the family friendly front page on Mixer lmao. So sorry for making the assumption that gears would be

Last edited:

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
If you can gather some examples of his incel rhetoric and shit I'll make a thread about it.

There were many racist compilations of him made on Youtube but he copystriked them all. He was banned from streaming in LA a few months ago without a permit. He tried to get unbanned on Twitch by rebranding so he deleted many of his irl vods and anytime anyone makes a clip compilation he strikes it. Nevermind that he just went to Japan twice and made fun of the japanese but whatever even if he tries to not be racist he can't help himself.

The best I can do is this racist compilation which is on an archive site that he can't strike. It's all really bad shit. I should add that many of these clips are only 4 months old so gtfo he's changed.

https://archive.org/details/Ice_Poseidon_Racist_Compilation

The incel stuff is tougher to nail down because it was just constant treating and talking about women terribly and if he ever had a girl on stream that didn't show him enough attention he would treat them like shit. He is about as prime a candidate for deplatforming as I have ever seen.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
The attitude reflected here is very clear: There is nothing wrong with the commodification of women's bodies, but there is something wrong with the owners of those bodies taking advantage of that commodification.

I'm not even just talking about the rules. I'm also talking about posters speaking contemptuously of "titty streamers".
Blanket 18+ designation of certain types of clothing is part of what causes women's existence to be sexualized.

Lol no it isn't.

Women's bodies have been sexualized thousands before Mixer's 18+ designation was a thing.

These guidelines aren't causing women to be sexualized. They are in response to growth streamers literally capitalizing on the commodification of their own bodies - which, Hey, who better to benefit than the person whose body it is? but becomes a problem when these transactions are occurring during broadcast intended and labled for children. That's what these guidelines are intend to prevent.

In short, they aren't arguing that women (or anyone else) who's clothes aren't permitted in "family friendly" are guilty of hosting sexualized content
Wearing clothing that shows off a man's pecs, as the Rock is in the first pic, would be the male equivalent of cleavage in my opinion. Things like deep v-neck, tank tops and see-through clothing are relatively universal across men and women.

I mean, are skin tight shirts restricted for either gender?

I think their guidelines are gender neutral, but disproportionately effect women due to fashion trends.

Last edited:

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Ninja has a verified account there (meaning he's sanctioned). That Ice guy doesn't. So just report any of his videos/streams that break their rules.

That makes sense but I ain't watching his trash streams to find the moments he's being a racist piece of shit. He is a very notorious racist streamer so imo he shouldn't even be allowed on the platform. I don't think having to wait for him to offend again matters when you have the history he does. Not to mention the Mixer co-founder tweeted him and even mentioned having a vod saved of Ice so he must be well aware of his past and be cool with it. I imagine Ice will be given a long leash.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

Nah, women's bodies have been sexualized long before mixer was a thing. Sexualization doesn't occur because of ToS guidelines. The guidelines exist because of the practices that some streamers will inevitably take part in if guidelines aren't in place. It's not that I think what you're saying is unfair. I think it's wrong. Mixer doesn't move the needle on society's hypersexual reaction to depictions of the human form.

These guidelines don't sexualize women. They relegate streamers of any gender who wish to titillate to the 18+ label. As a side effect, There will be some streamers who don't have this intent who will be have to wear different clothes or stream to older audiences, But in practice this is hardly a burden to anyone.

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, women's bodies have been sexualized long before mixer was a thing. Sexualization doesn't occur because of ToS guidelines. It's not that I think what you're saying is unfair. I think it's wrong. Mixer doesn't move the needle on how society's hyper sexual reaction to depictions of the human form.

These guidelines don't sexualize women. They relegate streamers of any gender who wish to titillate to the 18+ label. As a side effect, There will be some streamers who don't have this intent who will be have to wear different clothes or stream to older audiences, But in practice this is hardly a burden to anyone.

It's 100% part of the culture of sexualization of women.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Lol no it isn't.

Women's bodies have been sexualized thousands before Mixer's 18+ designation was a thing.

These guidelines aren't causing women to be sexualized. They are in response to growth streamers literally capitalizing on the commodification of their own bodies - which, Hey, who better to benefit than the person whose body it is? but becomes a problem when these transactions are occurring during broadcast intended and labled for children. That's what these guidelines are intend to do.

In short, they arguing that women (or anyone else) who's clothes aren't permitted in "family friendly" are guilty of hosting sexualized content

I mean, are skin tight shirts restricted for either gender?

I think their guidelines are gender neutral, but disproportionately effect women due to fashion trends.
They don't specifically mention skin tight shirts, but I would argue that they kind of go hand in hand with showing cleavage. For example, if a woman wears a loose fitting shirt or sweater, her cleavage would be less pronounced. In my example above, a man's pecs, abs, etc. would only be visible or more pronounced wearing a tight shirt.

From a personally level, I've always found it funny how many Americans treat sex and violence. You can have hundreds of people dying on screen in a PG-13 action flick, but heaven forbid you show a pair of breasts on screen.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, women's bodies have been sexualized long before mixer was a thing. Sexualization doesn't occur because of ToS guidelines. The guidelines exist because of the practices that some streamers will inevitably take part in if guidelines aren't in place. It's not that I think what you're saying is unfair. I think it's wrong. Mixer doesn't move the needle on society's hypersexual reaction to depictions of the human form.

It is fallacious to say that anyone who participates in a social problem is not responsible for their participation just because the problem is larger than any one actor.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I see a lot of twitch partners complaining. Then you had that other twitch streamer calling ninja a sell out. I don't get it. Do twitch streamers reel threatened? Is jealousy of ninja coming into play?

The rules are gender neutral and seem okay on the surface.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
They don't specifically mention skin tight shirts, but I would argue that they kind of go hand in hand with showing cleavage. For example, if a woman wears a loose fitting shirt or sweater, her cleavage would be less pronounced. In my example above, a man's pecs, abs, etc. would only be visible or more pronounced wearing a tight shirt.

From a personally level, I've always found it funny how many Americans treat sex and violence. You can have hundreds of people dying on screen in a PG-13 action flick, but heaven forbid you show a pair of breasts on screen.

I don't disagree with you, I'm just saying I'm not sure how mixer handles skin tight shirts. It seems like it's primarily focused on showing skin.

I agree the US is weird about sex and violence - even if you look at the two topics independent of one another, I think we are weird here.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
I see a lot of twitch partners complaining. Then you had that other twitch streamer calling ninja a sell out. I don't get it. Do twitch streamers reel threatened? Is jealousy of ninja coming into play?

The rules are gender neutral and seem okay on the surface.
Imagine calling someone a sellout who's on red bull cans as an insult lol.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
A lot of people here seem to be under the impression that the "Family Friendly", "Teen", and "18+" categories are part of the clothing restrictions but in reality they existed first (based on what sort of games were being played) and then decided what sort of clothing was appropriate for each category.

I find it funny that Twitter gets a lot of crap for not being strict enough on this kind of stuff whilst Mixer gets the reverse. Yes, it affects women more than men but at the same time this is trying to stop a certain type of streams from reaching the eyes of kids and we should honestly be celebrating that. Sure, it affects some streamers who had no intention of doing titillating streams. I'm sure these rules weren't made to target woman in general, just those types of streams that Twitch gets so much shit about. They're not even saying those streams aren't allowed, just that they have to be in a certain category.

Every site where users are the main source of content have rules about what the users can and can not say so is it surprising in the least that a service that has people in front of cameras for hours at a time has rules about what can be worn.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Ridiculous. Prude USA being prude. But considering the fact that some girls on twitch pretty much only wear tops that reveal alot of cleavage to get those followers, it dosent surprize me.

Last edited:

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Again, its still ridiculous. Human bodies aren't something we should be teaching kids to be ashamed of.

And PUBG, Dead by Daylight, GTAV and Rainbow Six Siege are on the family friendly front page on Mixer lmao. So sorry for making the assumption that gears would be
Ok..? And am I wrong for saying that human bodies are something we should be teaching kids to understand and be respectful of? Like I 100% agree with you, and yet SURELY you can understand that not everyone on this planet does. And maybe for the parents who want to parent with certain values or boundaries, there should be a market for them? Look, end of the day, you're also just wrong. Look at the Family Friendly streams again. No PUBG, no GTA, no horror. I see Minecraft, Mario Kart, IRL cats, music streams.

I think the bigger problem people aren't seeing here is that this is a larger part of Mixer's moderation platform. YES, the moderation platform that is much tougher on racism, sexism, and other shitty stuff than any other competing platform - Twitch, YT, Facebook. I have nothing against people who want to expose their kids to reality early on. I have nothing against women who want to wear whatever the hell they want in public. But also, this isn't where I want Microsoft to make the stand against millenia of gendered norms. Like.. WOOOO MS IS LETTING PEOPLE GO NUDE!!! Who does that help exactly? Not most female streamers.

So where's the line? Because I'm seeing a lot of complaining by people who don't like these rules and yet I'm seeing almost no solutions that make any sense instead. Hot takes do not a policy make,

Aug 23, 2018
So where's the line? Because I'm seeing a lot of complaining by people who don't like these rules and yet I'm seeing almost no solutions that make any sense instead. Hot takes do not a policy make,

This. Mixer's policies on this seem pretty sensible when you take into account the number of children that will likely use it.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I dont get it, if people are that torn up over rules that seem conservative and apply to both genders then there are totally other sites for "the other stuff" ! Lol

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
It is fallacious to say that anyone who participates in a social problem is not responsible for their participation just because the problem is larger than any one actor.

I think it's fallacious to say that having a dress code is to participate in the social problem.

They aren't attacking a woman's right to wear what she pleases without being sexualized by observers. They are exercising their right to try to prevent streamers who do wish to produce sexually suggestive content from doing so in broadcasts labeled kid friendly.

As a result, unfortunately, Some streamers will have somewhat limited clothing options when targeting a younger audience. Not because their outfits would otherwise inherently be too sexy for kids. But because Mixer doesn't want to bother with having to subjectively judge every bit of content.

Last edited:

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
What's that got to do with say tank tops

At a guess, maybe they thought "no nudity" alone might lead to some pushing the limits?

So by going a bit stricter maybe they think they're preventing anything too serious being on there even in 18+.

In the end we're talking about Microsoft. They ultimately have to weigh up what's worse, mainstream news outlets and parents being outraged at potentially sexually explicit content being easily accessed by children on their games console or mostly hardcore gamers on social media upset at being "made" to cover up?

It's effectively a lose/lose in one way or another for them and I guess they went with the lesser of two evils.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's fallacious to say that having a dress code is to participate in the social problem.

They aren't attacking a woman's right to wear what she pleases without being sexualized by observers. They are exercising their right to try to prevent streamers who do wish to produce sexually suggestive content from doing so in broadcasts labeled kid friendly.

As a result, unfortunately, Some streamers will have somewhat limited clothing options when targeting a younger audience. Not because their outfits would otherwise inherently be too sexy for kids. But because Mixer doesn't want to bother with having to subjectively judge every bit of content.
Having a dress code isn't necessarily a problem. Having a dress code that perpetuates a double standard for men and women is. What this dress code says is that women need to cover up their bodies if they want to stream to anyone under eighteen, which is patently ridiculous.