• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Don't know how you equate restrictions on specific viewers as all people? There's plenty of viewers who are there for the personality of streamers and not titillation, MS want to foster an environment for them. Nothing weird about that, and tbh it's a relief to know that it's tightly moderated.
This. I myself don't care that much about "camgirl" streamers or similar channels on Twitch. I personally do not support or endorse them, but I know that my opinion means very little. And To be honest here lately after thinking it over I feel like it helps contain that certain type of viewer that flocks to such channels from contaminating other streams. That to me is a bonus to all involved. So called "cam girl" streamers enjoy continued success, their viewers can enjoy their "content", and other channels can keep paddling along as if nothing is the matter. The main problem is that Twitch is so god damn inconsistent with it's rule enforcement that it shines a constant light on the issue. If they would just come out and say "yeah that's fine" or "no that's not allowed" and then stick to that ruling then I feel like 75% of the drama surrounding such channels would disappear.

But if Mixer is gonna sit down and say "Yeah we want to avoid all of that nonsense entirely and maintain a consistent amount of quality so here are a defined set of rules" then I have no problem with that.

And then all of this is based on the assumption that unlike Twitch Mixer is going to actually enforce it rules consistently over a long period of time and we have no idea if that is even the case. This could all just be for show and they actually end up like Twitch where they don't give a fuck and their community becomes a toxic mess.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Never Allowed
(These activities will get your account suspended or banned)
  • Nudity
  • Shirtless (regardless of male presenting or female presenting persons), outside of the appropriate settings
  • Open shirts/robes without clothing underneath
  • Underwear/lingerie
  • Transparent clothing worn by itself without an undershirt
  • Focusing the camera below the waist
  • Towels wrapped around the body
  • Breastbone cannot be visible
It was pretty standard until the last one.

Deleted member 26746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm ok that someone is thinking about the children.

If they "cam girls" are only allowed in a +18 stream they will see if is better for theur views to be family friendly or not.

This will put everyone in his place... do you wanna stream games... or show your body while streming games to get that kind of viewers?

Last edited:

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
No, Mixer is not criticized for it.
Streamer and content creator like that the rules are not arbitrary and outlined specificly.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
It's Microsoft. Of course they would do this. But they were thinking about PG ratings, so who is going to complain? Who could possibly complain?
they even have an 18+ level if you want it.

This "crisis" is just for people who dislike organization.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Imagine getting banned while streaming the next Doom because you wear an open shirt!

But the family values!

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine getting banned while streaming the next Doom because you wear an open shirt!

But the family values!
oh my god how do clothes work, i totally cannot

and a totally microsoft thing would be to not ban you but to just slot you over into the 18+ group and prohibit access to any other groups.
clearly labeled 'breastbone' cam's be damned

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Eventually Twitch is going to have to do the same if they want to get more advertisers.

Unless you want something like the adpocalypse to happen on Twitch too. Eventually enough people will complain to advertisers about all the risque stuff some streamers are doing and the big ad companies will pay notice. Some people don't realize that ad companies are extremely paranoid and very conservative about the content that gets paired up with their products. Sponsors straight up have huge lists of content they do not want to be paired up with, and they look very similar to the Mixer guidelines.

Tiers will help the risque streamers stay on the platform, while also keeping bigger sponsors. This literally will protect streamers from trolls reporting them because they don't like what the streamer is wearing. As long as it is with in the guidelines the trolls got nothing to complain about.

Last edited:

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Feel like I'm taking crazy pills, men don't have a bust line and don't have cleavage.

The rules are targeting women. They factually are. Am I missing something?

You're missing a lot. MS defines bust-line as : On male presenting and female presenting this is the widest area below the shoulders and above the end of the rib cage. Where a bra or pasties would be worn.

So unless you're saying men don't have area between their shoulders and rib cage nor nipples, then yes men are covered here as well.

Regarding cleavage - That line between breasts/pecs is off limits- again, gender doesn't matter.

The Rules apply the same for men and women.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Sure, let my kids be protected from a so dangerous cleavage and let them listen alt right, sexist, misogynistic people.
Thank you so much

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
And maybe that's why the Twitch rules don't have any "hardline" sorts of rules that eliminate regular 'ol casual clothes that women often wear.
Because if they're against titillation, they're at least not trying to throw women who merely want to play video games without having to follow a silly dress code under the bus. I guess people are unhappy with the judgment calls there, but I'd be in favor of subjective assessment over a bogus dress code that targets predominantly women.

A child can handle a woman playing video games in a tube top in the comfort of her own home, just as they can handle a woman in a bikini on the beach.
Identify what other aspects you'd consider too titillating if the problem isn't "dressing in a certain way [being] inherently sexual."
Because those rules are written to imply that "dressing in a certain way is inherently sexual."

No, the rules are written because it's well understood that many streamers, given the opportunity, will sexualize dressing a certain way, for profit.

Any rational person understands that the restricted clothing isn't inherently sexual nor are those who wear them inherently attempting to titillate . But these guidelines help prevent those who would try titillate children for profit from doing so.

The beach comparisons are disingenuous. Family beaches obviously allow bikinis, and people going for an innocent swim aren't going to have any issues. But if a shirtless man, started trying to win the attention of preteen girls by making sexually suggestive gestures from two feet away, there would be some problems. Same if a woman suggestively bouncing her bikini-clad breasts, in an attempt to win the attention of some underage boys.

The above is a more accurate comparison to what many streamers on twitch have been doing.

Unlike people taking a swim at the beach, streamers are performing on camera, trying to attract and maintain an audience for the purpose of earning income. MS has a right to try to ensure children aren't targeted with certain tactics. logistically, policing a beach is very different from policing a social media network.

Streaming platforms don't have a clothing problem. They have a 'policing minors access to sexually suggestive content problem'. The clothing guidelines don't exist to discriminate against women. They exist to create a barrier to producing sexualized content. Will people, who have no intent to produce sexualized content have their clothing options restricted? Yes. Will this disproportionately "burden" women? Yes, due to the noncongruent nature of gendered fashion. Is this sexist? No. MS can't help that bare chest shirts aren't popular with men. But they can limit how much chest ALL streamers are allowed to show on channels accessible to minors.

Last edited:

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Maybe I missed it in the thread, but do we have input from women who stream on Mixer and how they feel about clothing rules?

Admittedly I don't have many women streamers that I watch on Twitch, but still I have managed to walk into talks by them about how they feel Twitch is too forgiving about what can and can't be worn on streams leading people to expect basically "cleavage streams". I know Twitch has tried to tighten up rules about that stuff, but knowing Twitch they aren't enforcing shit.

Jun 22, 2019
will sexualize dressing a certain way

isn't inherently sexual nor are those who wear them inherently attempting to titillate

Cool.

Then ban the titillation, not the clothes.

The beach comparisons are disingenuous.

So is the comparison that camgirls/boys who are into titillating their audience want to target minors. That's not even where their big donations come from...

They have a 'policing minors access to sexually suggestive content problem'.
Do they though? The manga industry thrives from how easy it is for minors to obtain sexually suggestive content. Plenty of video games have sexually suggestive content; are we talking about how minors are able to see them vile barely-covered boobies in the M-rated games?
I said this before, I'm of the opinion that it's perceived as a problem because people love to hate on camgirls. Thus there's public outcry, it's brought into the limelight, and corporations start to sweat about it.

Last edited:

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the problem with clothing guidelines on streams geared towards children and teens.

You do realize plenty of jobs in the real world require uniforms and clothing guidelines right?

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Cool.

Then ban the titillation, not the clothes.

Much easier (I.e. logistically feasible) to ban the clothes. Enforcement of Objective guidelines > Trying to uniformly police intent.

Its easy to gauge whether or not someone's cleavage is showing. How do you gauge "Titillation"? Why would any company want to deal with that mess, when anyone can just go buy some t-shirts.

Last edited:

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
No, the rules are written because it's well understood that many streamers, given the opportunity, will sexualize dressing a certain way, for profit.

Any rational person understand that the restricted clothing isn't inherently sexual nor are those who wear them inherently attempting to titillate . But these guidelines prevent those who would try titillate children for profit from doing so.

The beach comparisons are disingenuous. Family beaches obviously allow bikinis, and people going for an innocent swim aren't going to have any issues. But if a shirtless man stood, started trying to win the attention of preteen girls by making sexually suggestive gestures from two feet away, there would be some problems. Same if a woman started bouncing her suggestively bouncing her bikini-clad breasts, clearly seeking the attention of some underage boys.

Unlike people taking a swim at the beach, streamers are performing on camera, trying to attract and maintain an audience for the purpose of earning income. And logistically, policing a beach is very different from policing a social media network.

Streaming platforms don't have a clothing problem. They have a 'policing minors access to sexually suggestive content problem'. The clothing guidelines don't exist to discriminate against women. They exist to create a barrier to producing sexualized content. Will people, who have no intent to produce sexualized content have their clothing options restricted? Yes. Will this disproportionately "burden" women? Yes, due to the noncongruent nature of gendered fashion. Is this sexist? No. MS can't help that bare chest shirts aren't popular with men. But they can limit how much chest ALL streamers are allowed to show on channels accessible to minors.
Please. The camgirls exist on Twitch because Twitch don't care enough to crack down on them. It's something they could quite easily do.

Microsoft should be targeting intent if anything. We really do not need strict guidelines that literally ban women from wearing 90% of their wardrobe if they want to do a "family-friendly" stream. By these rules Microsoft have set out, something as innocuous as going to the shops in summer is apparently a "banned" experience, lol.

Jun 22, 2019
You do realize plenty of jobs in the real world require uniforms and clothing guidelines right?

You realize many of those throughout history have also been discriminatory, right?

Most recent one that people were pointing attention to that I saw going around was how black womens' natural hair is often deemed unacceptable for the workplace.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I don't see the problem with clothing guidelines on streams geared towards children and teens.

Have you just... completely missed the ongoing conversation about how often women have to put up with sexist clothing guidelines in the workplace?

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017

The laughable thing with that comment is, often they are dscriminatory as well, but they're discriminatory in other ways. For example Air Hostesses have had to fight for their right to wear flat shoes and trousers because they used to mandate restrictive skirts and high heels.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Maybe I missed it in the thread, but do we have input from women who stream on Mixer and how they feel about clothing rules?

Admittedly I don't have many women streamers that I watch on Twitch, but still I have managed to walk into talks by them about how they feel Twitch is too forgiving about what can and can't be worn on streams leading people to expect basically "cleavage streams". I know Twitch has tried to tighten up rules about that stuff, but knowing Twitch they aren't enforcing shit.

Yes, on page 3.

So far I haven't seen anyone drop the opinions of the streamers who are effected by this the most. You know female mixer streamers. Kinda sad ign didn't try to get in to contact with them.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
That title is horrible.

As for the guidelines, doesn't seem so bad, though they could be more lenient.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
You realize many of those throughout history have also been discriminatory, right?

Most recent one that people were pointing attention to that I saw going around was how black womens' natural hair is often deemed unacceptable for the workplace.
That's a false equivalency and you know it.

I have zero issues with camgirls or lewds or anything, but my girlfriend and many of her girl friends are very much sick of having to compete with people showing off in sexual attire or sexually interesting activities. Her wardrobe is just fine with this. I don't know you but around me women would wear t-shirts or shirts 90% of the time even in August. It's just how people in the west dress right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Mixer is chasing after a vocal minority of twitch viewers that are constantly obsessing about Women on Twitch and how they dress/act, basically the r/livestreamfail crowd.

I imagine the dresscode has been around for awhile, but Mixer wants to be an alternative where people who hate whatever thing Twitch did can move too.