• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Shoulders and breast bone.... really? Like I get why they're doing it, Twitch has a lot of issues with vague guidelines/rules. But those two examples rule out a lot of perfectly acceptable clothes, that you regularly see on day time TV. They would be better off doing a heat map on male and female illustrations with different body types, it would make it a lot clearer and avoid certain clothes being unnecessarily banned.
banned?

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the specific rules here are silly and too corporate-workplace for video games but I applaud a platform for making some effort to control the content presented to kids

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
If it was socially common for men to wear that dress we'd be living in a society where that dress would not even for a second be "not allowed"

Defaulting to men are also banned from xyz women targeted rule is not actually a defense to my statement

I mean by your logic no sexist dress code could ever be sexist or reinforcing the sexualization of women existing because men are banned too!!111
No that's not what I said, you made that up.

A sexist dress code would be one that allows men to go topless or wear male specific tank tops, while banning women from the same.

In the case of mixer. Men are prohibited from wearing man specific styles that can be deemed as revealing/sexual as well.

And plenty of men would be happy to wear that dress. I think you are being discriminate in claiming that's a style that only women would want to wear.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
User Banned (1 week): trolling and console warring
Defending your gaming box is sad enough but extending it to a streaming platform the same company owns and ignoring base sexist rules? Pathetic, fellas.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I fail to see what the problem is here. Of course ideally female breast wouldn't be sexualized but that's just how it is in our current society. Maybe if everyone was a nudist it would be different but then you open the gates to other problems.

MS is doing the best they can with these guidelines, maybe they should just emphasize even more that the rules applies to both males and females in big bold font just to get it across. There is nothing sexist about this.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
In the case of mixer. Men are prohibited from wearing man specific styles that can be deemed as revealing/sexual as well.
You can't seem to think of any specific ones though.
The fact that the mixer guidelines for family friendly/teen streams focuses exclusively on women's features is kind of important to consider before saying something silly like 'men are prohibited from wearing strapless tops and showing cleavage!'

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
No that's not what I said, you made that up.

A sexist dress code would be one that allows men to go topless or wear mean specific tank tops, while banning women from the same.

And plenty of men would be happy to wear that dress. I think you are being discriminate in claiming that's a style that only women would want to wear.

Brah I said not socially common not only women

But nice try at the rhetoric powerplay bucko

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
I think Mixer is right. It should be a game streaming platforms for real gamers.
This is an idiotic stance, haha jesus

----

The guidelines are strict and don't make sense for some of those rules. This is a reaction to the "twitch thots" that people fucking love to complain about though, so honestly why is anyone surprised?

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I have honestly always found little teens to lust after women streamers wearing revealing clothes to be really inapropriate and kind of gross.

I know these streamers end up thinking whatever it's not the reason I do this, and I believe that, but is totally ignoring that really the answer?

The thing is that moderating this shit has also been a failed effort and after years we still see this. I could never ever feel or pretend it's okay having a teen lusting for me as a big adult. Just seems gross as fuck

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I fail to see what the problem is here. Of course ideally female breast wouldn't be sexualized but that's just how it is in our current society. Maybe if everyone was a nudist it would be different but then you open the gates to other problems.

MS is doing the best they can with these guidelines, maybe they should just emphasize even more that the rules applies to both males and females in big bold font just to get it across. There is nothing sexist about this.

I love the immediate jump to nudity.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Just so I'm clear your argument here is that by women wearing "this kind" of clothing they are choosing to he sexualized.

Lol not at all.

I guess strawmaning is all you got at this point.

What I said was revealing clothing is sexualized, regardless of who is wearing it. The fashion industry lives on sexualization.

My argument is that, it's not Microsoft job to police fashion trends. The reality is that women more often where revealing clothing than men do.So any restrictions on revealing clothing will disproportionately effect the wardrobe of women. Whether or not the those women or men who wear revealing clothing due so with the intent of being sexualized it not pertinent, even though i absolutely don't think people are choosing to be sexualized. Shame on you for that baseless accusation. Learn to read... Our at least don't put words in my mouth.

What IS pertinent is that streamers often use revealing clothing in conjunction with the intent to titillate during streams that are aimed at minors. and MS, in an effort to combat this, has relegated revealing clothing to 18+ streams- thus casting a net wide enough to keep streamers who have the intent to titillate away from the eyes of children.

Yes, there will be streamers who get tagged 18+ who probably wouldn't be if given an individual review - but such a system is all but guaranteed to fail to avoid the trappings of individual biases. Its far simpler to just say "wear a damn shirt if you are airing a kids show."

Last edited:

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I think given the shit show that is YouTube kids content and google's Terrible policing these kind of extremes are necessary. Better the bad press over this than what has been happening elsewhere on content sharing websites.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
What I said was revealing clothing is sexualized, regardless of who is wearing it.

My argument is that, it's not Microsoft job to police fashion trends. The reality is that women more often where revealing clothing than men do

So you're saying exactly what I said you're saying.

0086_06416500_0001

This is no sexual but by your argument it is because it's "revealing"

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I love the immediate jump to nudity.
Hey I'm perfectly ok with some female streamers who sexualize themselves for views, it's their own personal choice. I'm completely supportive of them even though I personally don't care to watch their streams. I get where you and others who say this is sexist are coming from and hope that we dont ignore that some streamers dress in revealing attire to get more views. That's fine and applying a somewhat arbitrary 18+ rating to their stream seems like a fair compromise.

I also get that some other streamers just like to dress that way. But these platforms need some sort of guideline and it sucks that those guidelines might disproportionately apply to females but I don't see how else they can go about it. Maybe if suddenly it became fashionable for men to go around without any shirts it would shift the balance.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017

0086_06416500_0001

What the fuck are you talking about? I said women tend to wear clothing that is more revealing than what men wear. I make NO assumptions about the intent behind an individuals clothing choices, male or female.

Where the fuck did I say revealing=sexual?

Just because a person chooses to wear revealing clothing doesn't mean they are choosing to be sexualized. I never said as much. I said women are more likely to wear revealing clothing, and as such, are disproportionately affected by any restriction on revealing clothing. I also said that men in revealing clothing is also sexualized in fashion.

Like I said, learn to read or argue in good faith

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Hey I'm perfectly ok with some female streamers who sexualize themselves for views, it's their own personal choice. I'm completely supportive of them even though I personally don't care to watch their streams. I get where you and others who say this is sexist are coming from and hope that we dont ignore that some streamers dress in revealing attire to get more views. That's fine and applying a somewhat arbitrary 18+ rating to their stream seems like a fair compromise.

I also get that some other streamers just like to dress that way. But these platforms need some sort of guideline and it sucks that those guidelines might disproportionately apply to females but I don't see how else they can go about it. Maybe if suddenly it became fashionable for men to go around without any shirts it would shift the balance.

So basically you know it's sexist but you're cool with it because some women profit off being sexual

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017

0086_06416500_0001

Think of it this way.

I as a male pretty much exclusively go topless with boxers when I'm at home.

When we have visitors, I put some damn clothes on.

It's not cause I think my dad bod is irresistibly sexual. It's simply to respect my visitors and not have to figure out how they feel about an almost naked man.

Same thing here. Mixer isn't claiming that outfit is sexual. They are avoiding having individually to determine which tube tops are sexual and which ones aren't.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck are you talking about. I said women tend to wear clothing that is more revealing than what me wear.

Where the fuck did I say revealing=sexual.

Like I said, learn to read or argue in good faith

"What I said was revealing clothing is sexualized, regardless of who is wearing it."

Now then if you are saying this isn't right then you agree with me and I'm then unsure why you're defending these dress codes.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Think of it this way.

I as a male pretty much exclusively go topless with boxers when I'm at home.

When we have visitors, I put some damn clothes on.

It's not cause I think my dad bod is irresistibly sexual. It's simply to respect my visitors and not have to figure out how they feel about an almost naked man.

Same thing here. Mixer isn't claiming that outfit is sexual. They are avoiding having individually to determine which tube tops are sexual and which ones aren't.

You just compared no shirt and almost naked to a picture of a woman in a high tank top and jeans and mixed in "respectability"

Like I said the immediate jump from tank top on women to nearly naked men says everything about how women are inherently sexualized for existing

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Of course majority of men in this thread are saying they don't see an issue because it doesn't affect most of you.

Both sexes don't wear the same kind of clothes. Because of body differences, there is difference in clothes.
I'm pretty sure they can stream even if they don't follow those rules it just they'll get a mature stream. Now I don't understand how it's sexist to not want children to be exposed to overtly sexual streams. I know some streamers are trying to say that it's just the clothes they wear and that they're streams are no less sexual than someone who isn't wearing revealing clothing but that's really not true most of the time as you can discern by the amount streamers like Kacey Tron and Amouranth. Also, dress codes are a thing most businesses have.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
So basically you know it's sexist but you're cool with it because some women profit off being sexual
If you just base it on the fact that it does disproportionately apply to females I get that you might think it's sexist. The problem is that its impossible to have any guidelines in regards to attire that would not disproportionately apply to females because there are plenty of female streamers to sexualize themselves for views and comparably, women clothing tends to be more revealing than men clothing.

Personally I don't care about what people wear but the guideline clearly states that they apply to everyone. At its core it's not sexist because if they were every company in the USA would be getting sued for discrimination.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
If you just base it on the fact that it does disproportionately apply to females I get that you might think it's sexist. The problem is that its impossible to have any guidelines in regards to attire that would not disproportionately apply to females because there are plenty of female streamers to sexualize themselves for views and comparably, women clothing tends to be more revealing than men clothing.

Personally I don't care about what people wear but the guideline clearly states that they apply to everyone. At its core it's not sexist because if they were every company in the USA would be getting sued for discrimination.

A simple yes would have sufficed.

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Defending your gaming box is sad enough but extending it to a streaming platform the same company owns and ignoring base sexist rules? Pathetic, fellas.
I assume you are talking about me since you complained about the tweets I posted and since I am an avid member of XGS thread... I have been using mixer since they were known as beam and before they were bought. Mixer/Beam streamers have never been rejecting or hateful and viewed a lot of the community as family, what I wanted to do was share some of the great female streamers of mixer and let people hear what they had to say. But I guess first hand accounts aren't allowed if they go against your opinion and you can throw away anyone's opinions on a gaming topic as muh consoles wars. In which case we might as well not even have discussion about this at all and just change the thread topic to "Mixer hates women and are sexist bigots, and anyone who disagree are console warriors so don't even bother". I am moving on from this topic as I can't defend the community I have followed and been part of and who have helped me through some pretty tough parts of my life, without being called a console warrior. Hope you all have great day.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
You just compared no shirt and almost naked to a picture of a woman in a high tank top and jeans and mixed in "respectability"

Like I said the immediate jump from tank top on women to nearly naked men says everything about how women are inherently sexualized for existing
No. I didn't.

That's the disingenuous, straw man argument you want to keep running to.

In no way did i compare almost naked men to women in a tank top.

What I tried to explain is that even if an individual is not purposefully being "sexual" it's still common to cover up, so the world doesn't think you are being sexual.

And the only difference between a topless man and woman is anatomy. So any guidelines about what's appropriate for upper body clothing will have to address the fact that men and women have different anatomy.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
"What I said was revealing clothing is sexualized, regardless of who is wearing it."

Now then if you are saying this isn't right then you agree with me and I'm then unsure why you're defending these dress codes.

OK, you have a serious reading comprehension issues.

Revealing clothing IS sexualized. That's not inherently the fault or choice of the person wearing it- it's the fault of the observer who chooses to sexualize the person wearing it. And the fault of the fashion industry that thrives on it. And the fault of a society that grew this way. I want you to show me where I suggested otherwise.

I also pushed against your assumption that if men wore revealing close that assumed sexualization would decrease. I said that men who dress in revealing clothing are also sexualized. It also happens that mean are less likely to dress revealingly. I never suggested that this correlation was due to a choice to avoid getting sexualized. It's just an observation about fashion trends.

The reason why I defend the dress code, is because it doesn't involve any "assumed sexuality". Its just puts all revealing clothing away from the eyes of children- sexualized or not. So rather than having some guy in a cubicle deciding whether or not a streamer is intending to titillate, they put up a barrier that isn't burdensome for anyone who wants the family-friendly tag, but also prevents those who do intend to titillate from doing so before minors.

You're arguing on completely on the false pretense that this guidelines labels anyone who shows some skin is inherently intending to titillate. The reality is, these guidelines don't judge intent at all.

Last edited: